Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As soon as I get a minute I will start training

Options
  • 19-06-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Having crossed the half century mark almost 12 months ago, I feel an emptiness that I didn't mark it in any meaningful way. In addition at my age a bucket list is a must. Strangely one of the first entries on the list is to recover some sort of shape - I know, the classic cliché.
    This time it will be different.

Opening stats
    6 foot 1 and weigh 15 1/2 stone.
    Haven't exercised seriously in at least 8 years.
    Kids are grown up so a lot more time on my hands.

The plan
    I am aiming to complete the DCM in October 2012. This could be a bit ambitious given the low level of fitness with 19 weeks to go, however I am prepared to put everything into it. I will follow the plan posted on the DCM beginners thread. I came to this conclusion at the start of the month so have a couple of weeks running under my belt.

Together with the running I aim to improve my diet in conjunction with some light conditioning exercises.

Now that I have written it down it all sounds very manageable.

Progress to date
    Some short runs (painfully slow), three times a week together with some light weights three times a week (on alternate days). Have successfully modified my diet to reduce my intake of garbage and I am beginning to feel better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Monday 11th
    4km run in 24:51 - average of 6:07 min/km

Tuesday 12th
    Light weights

Wednesday 13th
    4.58km run in 26:57 - average of 5:53 min/km

Thursday 14th
    Light weights

Friday 15th
    6.84km run in 42:10 - average of 6:09 min/km

Monday 18th June
    5.06km in 29;21 - an average speed of 5;47 - still very slow.

Tuesday 19th June
    Light weights, high reps.

I have had a look at the HH programme for beginners on the marathon and its obvious that I am on the wrong track. I am running every second night and trying to increase the distance every week. The programme looks for three nights ion a row on a set distance and then a long slow run at the weekend after a days rest.
    I will complete my original plan for this week, rest on Monday and start the programme on Tuesday as required. I'm a little worried about this long slow run as I haven't done any sort of distance. Hopefully the thread will give some guidance closer to the time about the speed of this long slow run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good on you. I wish you the best in your training and your marathon. I don't think your times are that slow.....similar enough to mine and i'm a good bit younger and fitter:eek: I only ran 10km for the first time on Easter Sunday this yr and my sister and I ran 20miles a few weeks ago so I'd say if you keep doing the short runs during the week you'll have no bother with the LSR's:D

20 June
    A setback.
    3.33km in 18;31 - average speed of 5;33.
    My calf was feeling sore starting off and I had to stop to stretch it. No joy when I restarted so I had to stop and walk home. Strained my Achilles a couple of years ago and this feels in the same area but obviously not as bad.
    I'm wondering is it because I have run on Monday and tonight on the road whereas prior to this I was running on a grit track or on the grass?

Good on you. I wish you the best in your training and your marathon. I don't think your times are that slow.....similar enough to mine and i'm a good bit younger and fitter:eek: I only ran 10km for the first time on Easter Sunday this yr and my sister and I ran 20miles a few weeks ago so I'd say if you keep doing the short runs during the week you'll have no bother with the LSR's:D

Thank you. That is encouraging tha you have moved to 20 miles in that short time frame.

• Advertisement

Thurs 21 June

Leg is still sore. I'm worried now that I wont get to start the DCM programme next week. Still completed my light weights tonight and I'm down the 2 pounds that is my weekly target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

For a man who is 15.5 stone and hasnt really exercised in 8 years,your starting off times are very good.

What sport did you do?

Well done.Keep it up.

Friday 22 June
    Leg is still sore - not as bad but I still couldn't run on it.
    I think I will leave I now Neil Tuesday and the start of the programme.

For a man who is 15.5 stone and hasnt really exercised in 8 years,your starting off times are very good.

What sport did you do?

Well done.Keep it up.

In the last 8 years I have cycled a bit on and off and played 5 a side, again on and off. I haven't cycled since Wicklow 200 last year and haven't played football in two years.
    Looking at other logs, my times seem slow.
    I'm trying to stay patient though and not push too hard in the first month.

Sat 23 to Mon 25
    Nothing done as the calf is still sore.
    I'm getting worried.
    Not that it's something serious but that I will miss the start of the programme. Starts tomorrow with 3 x 5 km runs. Hope the leg holds out.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit.

• Advertisement

I haven't posted in 6 months - I have done some running in that time but not in a structured way. The calf strain set me back by over a month and I figured that I was too late to start training for the marathon then and lost a bit of heart.
    But its a new year, and this is a new me.
    My goals will be less lofty this time - I am aiming for a 10k in April in the Phoenix Park as a first step. Only on completion of that will I consider the next challenge.
    Anyway;
    2 Jan 2013
    Ran 6.48 km in 42.02 - average pace of 6.29.
    Looking at the splits, I wasn't as bad as this seems. The first km took almost 8 mins as I fiddled with the radio on my phone. The remaining splits were over 6 mins but closer to 6 than 6.30.

4 Jan 2013
    Ran 6.77 km in 37.14 - average pace of 5.30.
    Woah. Not sure where this came from. First km - 5.06, second km - 5.17 and the third - 4.25. Went slower after that, but lets concentrate on the positives.
    Delighted.

I haven't posted in 6 months - I have done some running in that time but not in a structured way. The calf strain set me back by over a month and I figured that I was too late to start training for the marathon then and lost a bit of heart.
    But its a new year, and this is a new me.
    My goals will be less lofty this time - I am aiming for a 10k in April in the Phoenix Park as a first step. Only on completion of that will I consider the next challenge.
    Anyway;
    2 Jan 2013
    Ran 6.48 km in 42.02 - average pace of 6.29.
    Looking at the splits, I wasn't as bad as this seems. The first km took almost 8 mins as I fiddled with the radio on my phone. The remaining splits were over 6 mins but closer to 6 than 6.30.

4 Jan 2013
    Ran 6.77 km in 37.14 - average pace of 5.30.
    Woah. Not sure where this came from. First km - 5.06, second km - 5.17 and the third - 4.25. Went slower after that, but lets concentrate on the positives.
    Delighted.

I haven't run for a week - what started as a head cold developed into something more debilitating and it took the week o shake . Previously it would take me weeks to get back into a routine, however I was out running tonight.

Ran 8km's in 51;50 at an average pace of 6;26.
    Splits showed that the pace was better than he average so I am relatively happy.

I need to get a plan to work towards the 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Good luck with the return.. I'm not long at it myself but in my experience don't be overly concerned with your pace starting out. Go out easy and regularly and enjoy the new you. Build it up slowly and don't rush it, you have the rest of your life :) If you start pushing to hard to soon your body won't be long telling you as I found out!!! All the best anyhow, it's great to be running once you get in the habit of it :)

Thank you for the advice. Common failing of mine is over analysis and looking too far down the road. You are right - forget about speed for the moment and concentrate on building a habit.

Ran 7 km in 44;46 at a steady 6;20 per km.
    Calf was little sore finishing but hopefully it's nothing.
    Aiming to do he same again on Wed and Fri.

Ran 7.06km in 43;14 for an average pace of 6.07 min/km.
    Nice mild night although the streets were a little wet.
    Aiming for the same on Friday.

Ran 12.5 km at an average pace of 6;15 per km (I think). The distance is correct but the time is a reasonable estimate.
    I have been using MapMyRn and it got confused tonight and missed parts of he run. I think it's time to get something more accurate.
    Dreadful night - cold and wet so I am very proud that I didn't chicken.
    I am starting to get into this.
    However;
    1. I need a plan to get me a reasonable 10k plan in April,
    2. I need to stop eating. In the three hours after a run I eat non stop.

Still - its a start, and I believe in starts - Joey the Lips

Ran 9.11 km in 56;54 at an average pace of 6;14 mins per km.
    I was reasonably happy with this - my legs were tired from the get go as I had cycled on Sunday so I kept the pace to a manageable level.
    Not so long ago this manageable level was my quick pace so at least I appear to be making some progress.
    I am hoping that if I make the end of the month that the running will have become a habit at stage and won't require such a concerted effort to get me out of the house.
    All good so far..............

I would be interested to hear if any other runners are filled with self doubt. I ran 10km in 01;02;48 tonight at an average pace of 6;16.
    All the way I am wondering am I doing this wrong? I should have a plan. I should be following a training plan.
    It's beginning to take the good out of it.

On the up side - should be able to hit 100km for the month.

If I had a plan I would say that it is all going according to it.

• Advertisement

Its on nights like this that I would have found an excuse to not go out. But not the new me...
    Ran 10.65km in 1;05;33 for an average pace of 6;08.
    Manky night. Raining hard and footpaths and roads were badly flooded meaning a lot of evasive action at the last minute. Didn't always get it right and ended up with puddles in the runners.

I am beginning to believe.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Good man for getting out there tonight. Keep the running going for now, build a good running base before you start a plan. Don't worry about pace for now. Just don't over do it.......to coin a phrase, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Any self doubt you had should be gone with tonight's run, most other runners may not have ran tonight!

Keep it going and best of luck.

Advertisement