Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to fix our league! - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

dreamers75 wrote: »
    18 hours or so until Kickoff i would suggest those who dont go, actually go to a game.

tada League problem solved.

Dunphy our leader said 4 years ago LOI isnt worth anything to the National Team. Coleman, Hoolahan, Mc Clean, Doyle, Fahey etc beg to differ.

Forresters Fagan Finn Chambers time to shine.
    Add Lynch and Cawley to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Add Lynch and Cawley to that.

yeah couldnt think of anyone outside dublin, left out Coombes Carroll and Farragher too.

terrible to have such a plethora of talent ready to leave ireland to play for ireland......

Crappatoni is in Richmond morrow, fairly sure 4 star are doing that €2 slice deal and thats why he is there.

Anyone not going to a game we are live on http://www.ustream.tv/channel/st-pats-live-commentary

strange feeling after we do the harlem shake we will focus on the match and giovanni.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've very little time for Shoddy Collins but he did speak quite well on Off The Ball tonight, worth a listen to the pod if you missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

P_1 wrote: »
    Ah I know it isn't a magic bullet for the problems but just moaning about things won't solve anything
    srfc19 wrote: »
    Moaning is half the fun of being an LOI fan. Don't take it away from us!

If the league was popular, the fans wouldn't know what to do with themselves!

The biggest problem (of many) is promotion and awareness. Even small things like RTE News having the League of Ireland results nearer to the start of the sports bulletin before premiership results instead of at the back with the "in other news" bit would help.

A page back I mentioned the debacle with rugby in Wales struggling for support. Cardiff Blues held an open training session and invited in about a thousand kids from however many schools around the area. In the end they all started chanting and applauding. Many of these kids will grow up Blues fans. There's a LOI club in every city and many large towns. why can't they do something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

osarusan wrote: »
    How did you choose your username P1?

When I signed up I had an irrational hatred of moshpits at concerts so I called myself pithater1. Decided to shorten it a while back.

How did you chose your username osarusan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

P_1 wrote: »
    When I signed up I had an irrational hatred of moshpits at concerts so I called myself pithater1. Decided to shorten it a while back.

How did you chose your username osarusan?

That's unexpectedly interesting but I think he was getting at something else. Platinum 1 is a promotions company that were looking to found an all Ireland league a few years back or some such. When being talked about on message boards like here a lot of people referred to them as P1. So your name seems to be a delightful coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

All this talk of superleagues is a misnomer. LOI should try to overachieve for a league based in a nation of 5 million or so where many athletic types are lost to GAA and more recently rugby. That's all. It's no coincidence that the top leagues in Europe are the ones with the population bases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The super league is a good idea, but what has been talked about here is way too much. What Irish club could afford to be flying to the likes of Holland on a regular basis? Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales would be plenty and much more manageable. Top division consists of teams from each country, after that each country has its own leagues to reduce travel expenses for smaller clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was at the Brandywell tonight for Derry v Sligo, decent enough game with a decent crowd.

Can't understand why exactly this wasn't the first live game of the season? League winners v Cup winners.
    Afaik, the league champions 1st game has usually been shown live, so why not this one?
    Why pick Limerick v Cork as your TV game when the 2 trophy winners from last season are playing?

I have my own ideas.

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »
    That's unexpectedly interesting but I think he was getting at something else. Platinum 1 is a promotions company that were looking to found an all Ireland league a few years back or some such. When being talked about on message boards like here a lot of people referred to them as P1. So your name seems to be a delightful coincidence.

Feck, talk about coincidences alright :D

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was at the Brandywell tonight for Derry v Sligo, decent enough game with a decent crowd.

Can't understand why exactly this wasn't the first live game of the season? League winners v Cup winners.
    Afaik, the league champions 1st game has usually been shown live, so why not this one?
    Why pick Limerick v Cork as your TV game when the 2 trophy winners from last season are playing?

I have my own ideas.

the stadium is the reason Limerick are on.

857820_516026278436830_1285368736_o.jpg

In case anyone is under any illusions to one of the biggest problems the league faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Maybe if we tried regionalising it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

gimmick wrote: »
    Maybe if we tried regionalising it?

Foras
    Cove
    Blades

who else in your group?

Foras
    Cove
    Blades

who else in your group?

the galways only up the road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Waherfur too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

the stadium is the reason Limerick are on.

Good logic that.:rolleyes:

[IMG]http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/857820_516026278436830_1285368736_o.jpg[/I] In case anyone is under any illusions to one of the biggest problems the league faces.[/img]

Jesus H Christ. Now I have worked with some of the marketing people in the FAI for work in the past, they're not too bad at their jobs but they have a ridiculously OTT focus on the international team though.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Good logic that.:rolleyes:

Its true tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The FAI hasn't tweeted about the league since March 1st, not a mention of the season starting tonight.

They really don't give a shit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You just have to look at the blog post on the homepage of srfc.tv to see what the FAI think of the league.

http://www.srfc.tv/blog/2012/04/04/important-announcement-regarding-live-streaming/

"Due to pressure on the football club from the FAI we will not be able to continue to stream live games from Tallaght. The club instead must apply for permission on our behalf to allow us to stream an audio only commentary on a match by match basis.

SRFCTV is disappointed that the FAI have chosen to prevent our many fans (and ex-players!) abroad, Rovers fans in Ireland who are unable to make games in person, and opposition fans who are unable to travel to Dublin on a Friday night from seeing matches.

SRFCTV is run by fans for fans, we are members of the football club and operate on a voluntary basis. We have respected the commercial rights of broadcasters in not putting our highlights up until after the 9pm Monday night embargo, and in not streaming when a game was being broadcast by a commercial television station. Our aim has been to provide commentary, with video when possible, when fans have no other means of viewing a game.

We are disappointed that the FAI refused a request on our behalf to allow us to continue to stream matches as we do not believe that a relatively low quality amateur stream with mainly foreign viewers damages the commercial interests of the FAI or broadcasters. On the contrary we believe that our live streams raise the profile of the league, engages a broader audience, and so indirectly increases the interest in the league leading to more viewers and more people through the turnstiles.

This decision has been taken by League Director, Mr. Fran Gavin. If you have used our service in the past you may like to drop him a polite email (fran.gavin@fai.ie) letting him know what it has meant to you, particularly those of you overseas. Feel free to copy us at info@srfc.tv on your email. Hopefully we can come to an arrangement in future that all parties will be happy with.

Thanks for watching – we hope to be back with audio commentary at least before long!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You just have to look at the blog post on the homepage of srfc.tv to see what the FAI think of the league.

http://www.srfc.tv/blog/2012/04/04/important-announcement-regarding-live-streaming/

"Due to pressure on the football club from the FAI we will not be able to continue to stream live games from Tallaght. The club instead must apply for permission on our behalf to allow us to stream an audio only commentary on a match by match basis.

That's joke really. I was completely in favour of the FAI taking management of the league but they really are a sham of an organisation.

What a load of absolute shite. This is the same organisation who would not allow CCFC and Bray move a fixture, despite both teams agreeing to it, on the grounds of "sporting integrity".

Surely allowing clubs to stream their games can ONLY be a good thing?

Idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why does it surprise anybody at this stage that the FAI are a complete joke?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why does it surprise anybody at this stage that the FAI are a complete joke?

It is because they find new and more imaginitive ways to out do their previous idiocy on an almost monthly basis :rolleyes:

But ya, I see your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Would starting a campaign to make the FAI take more notice be a good idea? Maybe with banners at matches (although I know that there have often been ones like that before) and a concurrent email sending campaign? A template could be set up and everyone could email John Delaney/Fran Gavin or something. Or sending letters maybe, 'cause they're not as easy to set up a spam filter for :pac:

Actually, thinking of something I've a bit of involvement in, the Abortion Rights Campaign are currently running a postcard campaign for X Case legislation - maybe a similar idea could be used? Like using pix of different matches and superimposing the words "wish you were here" or something.... And the postcards could be given out at matches for people to send? This is just me thinking out loud (or via typing) though, yous probably have better ideas!

I know I'm not a proper fan, 'cause I don't get to matches and stuff, but I know how much my brothers love supporting their team (the real Rovers ;)) and I do have a big interest in following what's happening in the LOI. So discount the idea if it's not feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Seren_ wrote: »
    Would starting a campaign to make the FAI take more notice be a good idea? Maybe with banners at matches (although I know that there have often been ones like that before) and a concurrent email sending campaign?

They'll probably hand out fines if you have anti-FAI banners.

I remember Shels were fined because of a John Delaney chant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Would they issue fines if banners etc even weren't offensive? E.g. if they just said something like "Pay more attention to your league FAI" instead of one saying "FAI = cnunts". Because if the first one would be considered fineable then that's just slightly ridiculous IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

FAI previously fined Derry City FC for comments written by a Derry fan on his own blog.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

And Pat Scully was fined by the FAI for criticising them as a pundit on Eircom League Weekly in 2006 or 2007. I'm more surprised anyone was up late enough to see the programme..

Pundits, blogs, fans..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

FAI have done nothing for Irish football. Just people in suits getting paid huge sums of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What a load of absolute shite. This is the same organisation who would not allow CCFC and Bray move a fixture, despite both teams agreeing to it, on the grounds of "sporting integrity".

Surely allowing clubs to stream their games can ONLY be a good thing?

Idiots.

Will you stop with this point? It clearly wasn't fair on Dundalk.

Got two non regulars coming along to Shels Dundalk on Friday. One is the brother in law who said he'll try and make at least one game a month as he lives in Drumcondra.

Where does the FAI get all the money for the huge wages? Seriously, Ireland don't play that many matches in a year. Is it merchandising?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

SantryRed wrote: »
    Will you stop with this point? It clearly wasn't fair on Dundalk.

The English FA have allowed teams who were knocked out of the FA Cup to play league matches on weekends that would otherwise have been kept free for the Cup.

If you want to talk about fairness, was it fair having us play that Bray match on the Monday when we were playing up in Derry the previous Friday?

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The English FA have allowed teams who were knocked out of the FA Cup to play league matches on weekends that would otherwise have been kept free for the Cup.

If you want to talk about fairness, was it fair having us play that Bray match on the Monday when we were playing up in Derry the previous Friday?

Completely different situation if the date hadn't already been fixed.

How exactly was in unfair on Dundalk? If they thought so, they would have objected, which would have been fair enough. But they didn't. And, if IIRC, Bray were 8 points clear on Dundalk at the time so Dundalks participation in the play off was all but set in stone anyway.

Shells fans - obsessed :rolleyes:

How exactly was in unfair on Dundalk? If they thought so, they would have objected, which would have been fair enough. But they didn't. And, if IIRC, Bray were 8 points clear on Dundalk at the time so Dundalks participation in the play off was all but set in stone anyway.

Shells fans - obsessed :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with being obsessed. It wasn't fair. Dundalk's participation was not set in stone, that's the key thing.

Nothing to do with being obsessed. It wasn't fair. Dundalk's participation was not set in stone, that's the key thing.

Unfair for giving us and Bray an extra few days rest?

• Advertisement

But Dundalk didn't object. That's the point. The FAI decided it was "not in the best interests of sporting integrity".
    Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Unfair for giving us and Bray an extra few days rest?

That was the crux of the FAI reasoning.

But Dundalk didn't object. That's the point. The FAI decided it was "not in the best interests of sporting integrity".

That was the crux of the FAI reasoning.

Where was that reasoning when they had Dundalk fixed to play a match a short distance away in Monaghan on the Friday before a home match three days later, whereas they made us travel 1,000km? Plus, since that match was eventually cancelled, Dundalk had a ten day rest between their last competitive match and that Monday evening.

And no material advantage would've been gained on Dundalk, anyway. Our players would've been fresher, but so would Bray's, so it would've evened itself out. In fact, Bray stood to lose out the most - they played in Dublin the previous Friday, so not much travel for them. They were in a better position playing us the Monday, with our players being wrecked after the Derry trip, but they also wanted to change it to the Friday.

I was just looking at the fixture list for the first series of games and noticed a ridiculous amount being played on days that aren't Friday nights. We all know that crowds don't reach their potential when a game is not on in its regular time slot so why all the mid-week fixtures? If all Shels' home games were on a Friday night I'd make it to them all but as it stands I'll be lucky to make three games home or away for the first series of games due to work commitments.
    Then we have a two week break in the middle of the summer for no good reason.

That break is essentially for the players to have a summer holiday.

What annoys me is the fecking international matches moved to Fridays which moves the games to Thursday, Saturday or Sunday.

And am not a fan of midweek games, home or away, either.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don't mind games on a Saturday or Sunday (would suit better for away games) but midweek games are a pain.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The odd saturday is ok, but Friday is football night. Great way to start the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but without the league of Ireland, isn't the FAI redundant, as they won't be allowed to field an international team?

That is correct, yes.

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but without the league of Ireland, isn't the FAI redundant, as they won't be allowed to field an international team?

True but if the League were to disappear overnight the FAI would just rebrand the LSL or something else as the national league and carry on. They truly don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

That break is essentially for the players to have a summer holiday.

They don't need a holiday....They've had six months off between the start of this season and the end of last. There should only be a mid season break in World Cup or European Championship years IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement