Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to fix our league! - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There have been improvements, though still not as dramatic as they could have been. For example when I was 10 years old we used to play on the big goals, playing full pitch, that doesn't happen anymore so that can only be a good thing. Futsal is great, it's just trying to get the facilities in place so that the kids can go to futsal once a week. Maybe in time, with more adjustments, Ireland's football culture can become one focused on technical ability and possession but right now that isn't the case. There are many reasons for that, personally I'm not convinced that this country can ever fully change it's football philosophy, it seems to be ingrained into people.

More registas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

CSF wrote: »
    More registas.

Would you leave the registas alone.

Would you leave the registas alone.

They smacked me in the face!!!

They smacked me in the face!!!

At least you know it was a regista that smacked you in the face.

At least you know it was a regista that smacked you in the face.

Which is surprising given my choice of football team!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I look in on this thread every few weeks as 'fixing our league' is something I'd love to see happen.

I was delighted to see so many new posts when I looked this evening, only to find that half of them were just absolute crap spouted by somebody who has no clue of what it is to be a football fan and the other half are people arguing with/encouraging him.

The last few pages are nowhere close to being on topic.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I look in on this thread every few weeks as 'fixing our league' is something I'd love to see happen.

I was delighted to see so many new posts when I looked this evening, only to find that half of them were just absolute crap spouted by somebody who has no clue of what it is to be a football fan and the other half are people arguing with/encouraging him.

The last few pages are nowhere close to being on topic.

Ahhh! There it is That right there is exactly what I am talking about. That sanctimonious, condescending, pretentious attitude prevalent among some sections of LOI fans. Thank you for proving my point, these attitudes do exist.

Oh and by the way, I thought it would be better to post it here since it had some relation to the topic rather than creating a new topic. It could be viewed as a problem in the LOI that could be fixed and thus it would improve the league.

Ahhh! There it is That right there is exactly what I am talking about. That sanctimonious, condescending, pretentious attitude prevalent among some sections of LOI fans. Thank you for proving my point, these attitudes do exist.

Oh and by the way, I thought it would be better to post it here since it had some relation to the topic rather than creating a new topic. It could be viewed as a problem in the LOI that could be fixed and thus it would improve the league.

There is nothing condescending or sanctimonious about it. You are a fan of watching television.

People who go to games are football people.

There is nothing condescending or sanctimonious about it. You are a fan of watching television.

People who go to games are football people.

Oh absolutely, I am a huge fan of television. I watch Community, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, How I Met Your Mother, US Office. I've watched so many shows that honestly you wouldn't believe.

Anyway please tell me how am I not a football fan? Who are you to tell me I am not a football fan? Like I said to other LOI fans on this thread, I don;t begrudge you going to the games, I don't begrudge you the drinks and banter with your mates, I don't hate the LOI and I am not here to turn people off the LOI and I want to make that clear.

What I do hate though is people with your attitude because I have come across it pretty often. These people who think that because they sit out in the cold on a Friday night and strain their necks as they swing their heads back and forwards as the ball flies relentlessly from one end to the next they can be considered the only real football fans in this country, frankly, it sickens me. You might enjoy, what I've heard be described as "caveman football" but that's your choice and you are entitled to make it.

So while you are having your neck massaged from looking up at the football for so long, I am watching the greatest league in the world, featuring the very best players on the planet, some of the best players the world has ever seen. Heck I watch them every week, I've read extensively about the club. I've read books on football, I read articles. I post on football forums, I play football myself, I coach football. So please, don't patronise me by saying that just because you are watching ping pong being played on a grass pitch doesn't make you any more of a football fan than I am.

Football fans regularly go to football matches.

Nothing more needs to be said.

• Advertisement

Football fans regularly go to football matches.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Football fans have a clue about what is going on at the top of the game. Football fans know how to analyse a performance. Football fans know what good football is and appreciate good football.

Clearly nothing more needs to be said.

Football fans have a clue about what is going on at the top of the game. Football fans know how to analyse a performance. Football fans know what good football is and appreciate good football.

Clearly nothing more needs to be said.

I know what's going on at the top of the game. I can analyse a performance, played myself for long enough.

I know and appreciate good football.

These things make me knowledgeable about football. They don't make me a football fan.

The fact that I go to football matches at least once a week, usually more often makes me a fan.

I know what's going on at the top of the game. I can analyse a performance, played myself for long enough.

I know and appreciate good football.

These things make me knowledgeable about football. They don't make me a football fan.

The fact that I go to football matches at least once a week, usually more often makes me a fan.

Really?

You know and appreciate good football and yet someone who watches La Liga each week isn't a football fan?

Does it? If I jump in front of a car each week does that make me a stuntman or suicidal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So while you are having your neck massaged from looking up at the football for so long, I am watching the greatest league in the world, featuring the very best players on the planet, some of the best players the world has ever seen.

Tell me again how you're watching these great players while we watch our 'caveman football' on a Friday night? Because here's the thing slim, they're not mutually exclusive. I would wager 95% of LOI fans watch a game or highlights on a Saturday or Sunday that's from EPL or La Liga. And you can bet your bottom dollar we're as strung out as the next guy watching the Champions League midweek. It's possible to do both very easily.

If I jump in front of a car each week does that make me a stuntman or suicidal?

It makes you a gobsh*te, as do most of your posts on this thread.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Tell me again how you're watching these great players while we watch our 'caveman football' on a Friday night? Because here's the thing slim, they're not mutually exclusive. I would wager 95% of LOI fans watch a game or highlights on a Saturday or Sunday that's from EPL or La Liga. And you can bet your bottom dollar we're as strung out as the next guy watching the Champions League midweek. It's possible to do both very easily.

I'm sure it is and maybe some do. A good number I know do watch the EPL, however very few, infact 1 is all that comes to mind, watches La Liga, though that's a different debate, for a different day, for a different thread.

Personally I am just not sure how you can go from cheering on "caveman football" on Friday to appreciating the technical brilliance of Xavi and Iniesta on Saturday. They are two colliding philosophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Really?

You know and appreciate good football and yet someone who watches La Liga each week isn't a football fan?

Does it? If I jump in front of a car each week does that make me a stuntman or suicidal?

that would just make you a gob****e.

in fairness to get back on topic and address some of the above, you actually going to games would contribute to 'fixing our league' if you and say a family member or friend were to go regularly or better still a group of friends, the money you spend while small does contribute to the vicious circle that makes or breaks a football club

^^^^^^^^^^got there before me:P

Then don't read them, there is an ignore button on this site I think.

You label me a gobsh*te because I disagree with the attitudes of certain LOI fans. I've backed up my point that these attitudes exist, I've done this through quotes and it has been seen in the response of a couple of posters on this thread that this attitude does exist. Am I a gobsh*te for pointing out the truth? Or for pointing out that this "I'm a football fan and you're not" is petty and childish.

• Advertisement

that would just make you a gob****e.

in fairness to get back on topic and address some of the above, you actually going to games would contribute to 'fixing our league' if you and say a family member or friend were to go regularly or better still a group of friends, the money you spend while small does contribute to the vicious circle that makes or breaks a football club

I've been at this now for close to a full day and still nobody understands my main point, it's possible I am explaining it poorly I suppose but I honestly don't think I am.

Ok so once again, I am not saying don't go to LOI games, my brother goes regularly with his friends, he contributes to the club by buying a ticket each week, power to him. I don't go, I don't go because I don't want to go. Here is where there is a problem it seems with some LOI fans, I don't want to go. It's not that I can't go, or that I am afraid to go, or that I have never gone. I have gone to a few games, I don't want to go to anymore. I've explained why, I find the standard poor, it's that simple, that's my reasoning. The only reason I posted on this thread is because of the messages appearing on my Facebook timeline, of certain sections of Waterford United fans using derogatory terms like "sunshiners" these are the same people who, after the Man Utd game, will be talking about "fair weather fans" who won't show up to the RSC again for the rest of the season (I know this because they said the same after the friendly game against Liverpool). I find their attitude childish and sanctimonious. Anybody looking at this objectively could not come to any conclusion other than exactly that, that some LOI fans display a pretentious and sanctimonious attitude, one of the league's own slogans is "real football, real fans" for heavens sake.

I've been at this now for close to a full day and still nobody understands my main point, it's possible I am explaining it poorly I suppose but I honestly don't think I am.

Ok so once again, I am not saying don't go to LOI games, my brother goes regularly with his friends, he contributes to the club by buying a ticket each week, power to him. I don't go, I don't go because I don't want to go. Here is where there is a problem it seems with some LOI fans, I don't want to go. It's not that I can't go, or that I am afraid to go, or that I have never gone. I have gone to a few games, I don't want to go to anymore. I've explained why, I find the standard poor, it's that simple, that's my reasoning. The only reason I posted on this thread is because of the messages appearing on my Facebook timeline, of certain sections of Waterford United fans using derogatory terms like "sunshiners" these are the same people who, after the Man Utd game, will be talking about "fair weather fans" who won't show up to the RSC again for the rest of the season (I know this because they said the same after the friendly game against Liverpool). I find their attitude childish and sanctimonious. Anybody looking at this objectively could not come to any conclusion other than exactly that, that some LOI fans display a pretentious and sanctimonious attitude, one of the league's own slogans is "real football, real fans" for heavens sake.

but they are correct, these people who turn up for 'glamour' friendlies etc are 'sunshiners' for want of a better word. i would hazard a guess that a large percentage of them had never been at a live game of football beforehand

Really?

I watch La Liga most weeks. Iwatch a lot of football every week. It doesn't make me a football fan though. It makes me someone who watches football on TV.

Fan is actually short for fanatic.

A football fanatic goes to games. I go to games. That's what makes me a football fan.

but they are correct, these people who turn up for 'glamour' friendlies etc are 'sunshiners' for want of a better word. i would hazard a guess that a large percentage of them had never been at a live game of football beforehand

Are you kidding me? That's such a condescending assumption to make. You might be right if we are talking about 10 year old kids going to see their heroes (at least those that aren't in Asia) play in their hometown but they are 10 or younger, how many games do you expect them to have seen.

A mate of mine (in his twenties) will go to the game. He doesn't go to Waterford United games, he's a Man Utd fan, he gets to OT usually twice a season. He watches their games every week, he's probably a member at the club. He's a football fan. The only thing him not going to LOI games makes him is not a LOI fan.

I watch La Liga most weeks. Iwatch a lot of football week. It doesn't make me a football fan though. It makes me someone who watches football on TV.

Fan is actually short for fanatic.

A football fanatic goes to games. I go to games. That's what makes me a football fan.

No, that makes you a LOI fan. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Wow, someone you know goes to two games. Congrats!!

• Advertisement

Are you not equally sanctimonious, pretentious and condescending without the LOI fan thing though? The posts in this thread would indicate that.

Wow, someone you know goes to two games. Congrats!!

Thing is, I know a lot of Waterford United regulars. Mention anything beyond the top two in La Liga to most of them and they are puzzled.

By the same token, mention LOI players to me and I won't have a clue what you are talking about. I am happy with what I know and content with what I don't know.

No, that makes you a LOI fan. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, I support a LOI club. I also go to Irish league games up north as well and i don't support any club up there.

I go to local junior games, I was at an English championship match and a welsh league match on the one weekend a couple of months ago.

one cannot claim to be a football fan and consistently ignore games on their doorstep

Are you not equally sanctimonious, pretentious and condescending without the LOI fan thing though? The posts in this thread would indicate that.

I think that may just be how I come across online. My points have been simple, they've been backed up and, with assistance from some in this thread, has been proven correct. There has been nothing condescending about it. At no stage in this thread have I said to anybody "you aren't a football fan" some can't say the same.

Yes, I support a LOI club. I also go to Irish league games up north as well and i don't support any club up there.

I go to local junior games, I was at an English championship match and a welsh league match on the one weekend a couple of months ago.

one cannot claim to be a football fan and consistently ignore games on their doorstep

Congratulations, that all sounds pretty terrible to me. Not the going to games part, rather it is the games that you went to.

I go to local junior games, I coach youth games, does that count?

If you've got standards and expectations as to what football is and how it should be played then yes, I can definitely ignore those games.

• Advertisement

I think that may just be how I come across online. My points have been simple, they've been backed up and, with assistance from some in this thread, has been proven correct. There has been nothing condescending about it. At no stage in this thread have I said to anybody "you aren't a football fan" some can't say the same.

You've talked about how LOI fans wouldn't know a regista if it hit them in the face. That's just as condescending. It just doesn't push your buttons in the same way as something that could be taken as an attack on you.

You've talked about how LOI fans wouldn't know a regista if it hit them in the face. That's just as condescending. It just doesn't push your buttons in the same way as something that could be taken as an attack on you.

Ok to be fair, that one was for the lols.

Congratulations, that all sounds pretty terrible to me. Not the going to games part, rather it is the games that you went to.

If you've got standards and expectations as to what football is and how it should be played then yes, I can definitely ignore those games.

That has reiterated my points better than I ever could myself.

No football fan would think that going to games was terrible, whatever the level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If you do go and watch or be involved in local team then fair play and you can have your say even over LOI fans.

I think problem seems to be some of the references you made towards LOI teams.

Ok to be fair, that one was for the lols.

It was one funny line that epitomised the theme of your whole post though.

That has reiterated my points better than I ever could myself.

No football fan would think that going to games was terrible, whatever the level

Anybody with standards would disagree with you.

I have standards. I agree with him.

If you do go and watch or be involved in local team then fair play and you can have your say even over LOI fans.

I think problem seems to be some of the references you made towards LOI teams.

Granted perhaps I wasn't overly kind to LOI teams and the league in general. However any league with the slogan "real football, real fans" is asking for condemnation. All of it was purely to drive home my reasoning for not going to games.

I have standards. I agree with him.

Then I have nothing to say to you. Like I said, if you want to go then feel free to. I am not trying to put people off, rather I am just explaining why I don't go.

None of this by the way has anything to do with my original point.

Anyway this thread has really all gotten a bit out of hand and, in any case, we are all going around in circles so I'll finish my posting on this thread with this (first time I've actually posted a pic on Boards and the first meme I've ever made)

3u8tmy.jpg

• Advertisement

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_siwMtBWHPnBx3vXhAbQf0YB2QmO5pkAzzdpLSTGGQwc086C3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

947378_10151970525904465_726503874_n.jpg

Another one into PL today. Took him a bleedin while :D

Shame Wolves relegated 3 others into league 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Talk to any European football fan and they'd jump at the chance to go to a LOI, Irish league, championship game etc and these are the people who regularly attend some of the best leagues in the world!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_siwMtBWHPnBx3vXhAbQf0YB2QmO5pkAzzdpLSTGGQwc086C3

Admittedly it didn't turn out great. I'll get better with practise.

Are you kidding me? That's such a condescending assumption to make. You might be right if we are talking about 10 year old kids going to see their heroes (at least those that aren't in Asia) play in their hometown but they are 10 or younger, how many games do you expect them to have seen.

A mate of mine (in his twenties) will go to the game. He doesn't go to Waterford United games, he's a Man Utd fan, he gets to OT usually twice a season. He watches their games every week, he's probably a member at the club. He's a football fan. The only thing him not going to LOI games makes him is not a LOI fan.

i couldnt care less if im being condescending or not, it boils down to the sense of self loathing many in this country seem to have. we have a league here of our very own and if you want condescending check out the epl fans in this country that couldnt even name the teams in our own national league. this has to be one of the most unpatriotic countries out there, aside from paddy's day when we have an excuse to get out of our faces and think everyone loves us. and this boils over into our sports unfortunately aswell, you have made comments yourself about good players in this country saying ah sure they'll be over in england before long if they're any good that's the kind of attitude that keeps us from being successful. sure we'll go out and sing the fields of athenry and be the worlds best fans in the euros but **** the main reason we are there!!

i couldnt care less if im being condescending or not, it boils down to the sense of self loathing many in this country seem to have. we have a league here of our very own and if you want condescending check out the epl fans in this country that couldnt even name the teams in our own national league. this has to be one of the most unpatriotic countries out there, aside from paddy's day when we have an excuse to get out of our faces and think everyone loves us. and this boils over into our sports unfortunately aswell, you have made comments yourself about good players in this country saying ah sure they'll be over in england before long if they're any good that's the kind of attitude that keeps us from being successful. sure we'll go out and sing the fields of athenry and be the worlds best fans in the euros but **** the main reason we are there!!

I actually agree with some of your points there. I'm not very big on this fake Irish nationalism to begin with. The thing is, I honestly believe the state of the national team, and by extension the state of football in Ireland, would be much better if Irish players played abroad more often. If instead of always joining British teams they went and played on the continent, too few Irish players do this, as a result Irish players are developed solely to suit British football and what you end up with is a team that are tall, quick and good athletes but it isn't the least bit surprising that there is a lack of technical ability.

I also agree with you on the paddywhackery at the Euros, it was ridiculous, Keane was spot on.

However I will say this, I've been told in this thread to go and enjoy the atmosphere, at times some posters seem to be treating the game as almost secondary, being there and having the banter is the main thing. This is exactly the point you've made in your comment, it shouldn't be the main thing, the main thing should be the football.

I actually agree with some of your points there. I'm not very big on this fake Irish nationalism to begin with. The thing is, I honestly believe the state of the national team, and by extension the state of football in Ireland, would be much better if Irish players played abroad more often. If instead of always joining British teams they went and played on the continent, too few Irish players do this, as a result Irish players are developed solely to suit British football and what you end up with is a team that are tall, quick and good athletes but it isn't the least bit surprising that there is a lack of technical ability.

I also agree with you on the paddywhackery at the Euros, it was ridiculous, Keane was spot on.

However I will say this, I've been told in this thread to go and enjoy the atmosphere, at times some posters seem to be treating the game as almost secondary, being there and having the banter is the main thing. This is exactly the point you've made in your comment, it shouldn't be the main thing, the main thing should be the football.

the point im assuming they are trying to make is the same point i have made myself, being at an actual live game beats watching a game on telly hands down. if you were to have a team you supported -waterford im assuming in your case- you are in your own little soap opera with that team and its supporters. instead of watching a load of others doing it on telly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The main thing is the football. But when you go to matches you do try and create atmosphere like all fans do across Europe. LOI fans are no different. The football is primary though.

Whenever I'm on holiday I always try and get to a game in a forein country no matter what country it is in and as someone else pointed out you will often see foreign faces at LOI games.

perfect example on the shels thread a guy called lars. afaik he is german but he seems to have adopted shels as his own and fair play to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

perfect example on the shels thread a guy called lars. afaik he is german but he seems to have adopted shels as his own and fair play to him

A few Hannover 96 fans are following Pat's now after we played them last year in the Europa League. A few came over for the Cup final.

Advertisement