Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to fix our league! - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

There were a few foreign lads at the Rovers game last night. Spent a shedload of money in the shop before kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

the point im assuming they are trying to make is the same point i have made myself, being at an actual live game beats watching a game on telly hands down. if you were to have a team you supported -waterford im assuming in your case- you are in your own little soap opera with that team and its supporters. instead of watching a load of others doing it on telly

Like I said, that is a matter of opinion and really it's down to what you are looking for. In terms of atmosphere live games are better. In terms of quality on the pitch I'd take my tv any day over LOI. Again, like I said, I want quality football, that's my primary objective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Personally I am just not sure how you can go from cheering on "caveman football" on Friday to appreciating the technical brilliance of Xavi and Iniesta on Saturday. They are two colliding philosophies.
    Henlars67 wrote: »

No football fan would think that going to games was terrible, whatever the level
    Anybody with standards would disagree with you.

so you think that LOI fans must lack the understanding of the intricacies of top level football, because if they understood this, then why would they bother going to LOI games.

Any you say LOI fans are smug, patronising and pretentious?

osarusan wrote: »
    so you think that LOI fans must lack the understanding of the intricacies of top level football, because if they understood this, then why would they bother going to LOI games.

Any you say LOI fans are smug, patronising and pretentious?

I am saying that they are two colliding philosophies, that if you are a football fan with principles on how the game should be played I cant understand how you can watch and support LOI one night and then the next watch, support and enjoy a different team when the two styles of football both teams are playing are basically night and day. I am also saying that some LOI fans I've come across are a bit ignorant of football on the continent, I am not saying that is all LOI fans, just a few I've come across.

And yes I am, I've been saying it for over a day now.

The question has been asked more than once now - what would you do if Chelsea or Barcelona started to slip and the quality faded away until they were mid-table or lower?

You've previously sidestepped thw question by saying that there's no evidence this is going to happen, and I agree, but it's a hypothetical question.

Would you stop following them/watching games because they quality didn't meet your standards, or would you keep following them no matter what?

• Advertisement

The question has been asked more than once now - what would you do if Chelsea or Barcelona started to slip and the quality faded away until they were mid-table or lower?

You've said previously that there's no evidence this is going to happen, and I agree, but it's a hypothetical question.

Would you stop following them/watching games because they quality didn't meet your standards, or would you keep following them no matter what?

While obviously quality is an issue, I respect and appreciate that both sides try to play the right way. When I became a Chelsea fan around 1999/2000 they were an exciting team who played some good stuff (I was young and didn't catch onto continental games until a couple of years later). So a combination of quality, the desire to play the right way and a childhood affiliation means that I will never stop supporting Chelsea.

Barcelona I will also stick with for life. A club of principles, a club which represents the right philosophy of football. Even when things haven't been going great on the pitch (the last year of Rijkaard's reign, the pretty dreadful period around the middle of last decade) they have always stuck by their principles, they believe that the game should be played in a certain way and they abide by that. The amount of respect and admiration I have for that club is endless. Were they to go bust in the morning and be thrown down the leagues ala Rangers I would still support them 100% because the ideals that they represent will always remain intact. As I've said before, for me, it is the greatest club in the world, without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I am saying that they are two colliding philosophies, that if you are a football fan with principles on how the game should be played I cant understand how you can watch and support LOI one night and then the next watch, support and enjoy a different team when the two styles of football both teams are playing are basically night and day. I am also saying that some LOI fans I've come across are a bit ignorant of football on the continent, I am not saying that is all LOI fans, just a few I've come across.

The reason you can't understand this is twofold:

Firstly, you don't know what it means to be a match-going fan of a club so you have no reference point to relate to. A local fan will support their club through thick and thin because they have caught the local football bug. They will do anything to support them, spending money in all areas in the hope that one day they will have the luxury to be a club of "principles" like Barca and play the "right" way. It doesn't preclude them from appreciating superior football teams and it's a bizarre opinion to hold.

Secondly, your braying about "the right way", registas and footballing principles makes you look like a kid who has recently read a Jonathan Wilson book and subsequently declared themselves a footballing connoisseur. Mr. Wilson has so much to answer for in the world of internet forums.

As an aside, if things were to go south in a bad way for Barca and they ended up lower down the leagues, they would play the style of football that won them matches. Principles go out the window when you're scrabbling around in the dirt.

It's all well and good to be proud of Barca's footballing style but not when you are flagrantly ignoring the elephant in the room that is the reality that Barca are one of the lucky clubs that has a target audience of 8 million or so locals that enables them to stick with their principles. Would that all clubs were so lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What a ridiculous thing to say. Principles on how the game should be played? Do you just watch football for the scientific aspects of it or something? Everyone on the planet would only be supporting a certain amount of teams then. There's an endless amount of things you can see in live games that you don't see watching tv, included in those are all the things involved with the 'the way the game should be played'. How do you know what styles or philosophies LOI teams have or haven't? I support my team for a lot more than just a philosophy or some certain style of play. PhlegmyMoses was spot on when he said it was a bizarre opinion to have that LOI fans are precluded from appreciating top class football.

Some of the smartest football fans I know are ones who go to watch games week in, week out, be it in Ireland or their home league. Game going fans are ones who sees things solely tv fans will never notice, that's not making them better or worse fans, it's just the truth. You mentioned teams playing the right way, I would say maybe only Barcelona are the ones mainly very well known for having a 'philosophy' on football. Chelsea have had numerous managers who have played all sorts of ways, there's no philosophy there. They are just a rich club who can buy a lot of top talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

While obviously quality is an issue, I respect and appreciate that both sides try to play the right way. When I became a Chelsea fan around 1999/2000 they were an exciting team who played some good stuff (I was young and didn't catch onto continental games until a couple of years later). So a combination of quality, the desire to play the right way and a childhood affiliation means that I will never stop supporting Chelsea.

Barcelona I will also stick with for life. A club of principles, a club which represents the right philosophy of football. Even when things haven't been going great on the pitch (the last year of Rijkaard's reign, the pretty dreadful period around the middle of last decade) they have always stuck by their principles, they believe that the game should be played in a certain way and they abide by that. The amount of respect and admiration I have for that club is endless. Were they to go bust in the morning and be thrown down the leagues ala Rangers I would still support them 100% because the ideals that they represent will always remain intact. As I've said before, for me, it is the greatest club in the world, without a doubt.

I'm an admirer of Barcelona's style and when they do it well it is without doubt the most attractive style of football to watch, though when they were 4-0 down in the first leg against Munich with a few minutes left and they continued to pass the ball over and back across the pitch they looked a little ridiculous. While their philosophy is admirable they seem unable to adapt even slightly when needs be.

People fawn over them as they are seen to represent the "Beautiful Game", but what a lot of people fail to realise is the real beauty of football is that there are so many different ways in which it can be played, meaning a team who aren't nearly as good as them can beat the likes of Barca if they get their tactics right and implement them properly.

This morning I'l play in a junior match, this is football at its most purest. There'll be hundreds of junior games across the country as there is every other Sunday. Lads who know they'll never come close to making anything out of football playing it for the pure enjoyment. That right there is as much a part of the Beautiful Game as Barca are.

Tomorrow I'll be at Sligo rovers v Derry City. 2 clubs representing what are known as big 'soccer towns' but who both pull supporters from a 50 mile radius or so. Lads playing for an average working man's wage which brings a type of honesty to the game. It may be a long way from Barca but both try to get the ball down and play football and are evenly matched so the game should be entertaining. Watching 2 evenly matched teams at any level who try to play a bit much more entertaining than watching a one sided la liga or premiership match.

Again it's all part of the beautiful game, but you fail to see that. You may think that you about know the tactical intricacies of the game because you listen to analysts on sky sports, but you see much less on TV than you would at a match. Having read all your posts on here it would seem that you are just a typical football consumer who thinks that a Sky Sports subscription makes you a fan.

Well, here's some news for you, it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The youth setup in each club in the league seems poor.

Is there any club in the league with a decent youth structure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Our schoolboy system is definitely the best of the Dublin clubs, it's just difficult to integrate that into the senior system when we are in a league that can't afford to pay youth contracts or contracts of more than 1 year.

That said, we've had about 6 players come through from our very successful under 19s squad to the first team this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

CSF wrote: »
    Our schoolboy system is definitely the best of the Dublin clubs, it's just difficult to integrate that into the senior system when we are in a league that can't afford to pay youth contracts or contracts of more than 1 year.

That said, we've had about 6 players come through from our very successful under 19s squad to the first team this year.

A lot of them got a fair bit of game time on Friday night and played really well, particularly Mooney up front apart from his terrible dive. Probably watching too much La Liga.

dan1895 wrote: »
    A lot of them got a fair bit of game time on Friday night and played really well, particularly Mooney up front apart from his terrible dive. Probably watching too much La Liga.

I think it helped that they had the more senior Pat Flynn to play the regista role...

I think it helped that they had the more senior Pat Flynn to play the regista role...

Ironically he didn't hit anyone in the face.

As CSF said, it's difficult when we don't have the money to keep them on contracts for long. Also, the relationship between LOI clubs and local clubs (DDSL Limerick Desmond league clubs, for example) are often less than cordial. Some junior clubs want their best players to bypass LOI and head abroad, rather than a season or two of LOI first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

However I will say this, I've been told in this thread to go and enjoy the atmosphere, at times some posters seem to be treating the game as almost secondary, being there and having the banter is the main thing. This is exactly the point you've made in your comment, it shouldn't be the main thing, the main thing should be the football.

I think this was in reply to my post so I think il point out a few things... You yourself complained that the grounds were devoid of atmosphere and my actual point was that that was a bonus anyway. My point was you gain a much greater understanding of what happens on the pitch as you can see every players movement for youself, the runs, the work effort etc. You are not limited to what the producer decides to show you. Therefore you have a much greater understanding of the match at hand... But that seems to be lost on you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

As CSF said, it's difficult when we don't have the money to keep them on contracts for long. Also, the relationship between LOI clubs and local clubs (DDSL Limerick Desmond league clubs, for example) are often less than cordial. Some junior clubs want their best players to bypass LOI and head abroad, rather than a season or two of LOI first.

And I think that been shown up to be a gigantic mistake for loads of different reasons.
    And, if Andersonisgod is training young players like he claims he is and is encouraging very young kids without a proper education to leave Ireland without playing in the LOI that says a lot about him.

I think people like Liam Buckley who have played in a wonderful Rovers team of the 80s, The NASL, La Liga, Switzerland and Belgium and others like know more about good footbal than he gives them credit for.

I think people like Liam Buckley who have played in a wonderful Rovers team of the 80s, The NASL, La Liga, Switzerland and Belgium and others like know more about good footbal than he gives them credit for.
    More than andersonisgod though? Have you not heard his tactical knowledge???

I have no problem in saying that yes I am quite clever, I have the confidence in myself to say that. I am not saying I am the most clever person football has ever seen, certainly not.

I am however someone with an open mind who is willing to entertain other theories, experience them and then make a judgement on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Andersonisgod: Més que un football fan.

• Advertisement

I have no problem in saying that yes I am quite clever, I have the confidence in myself to say that. I am not saying I am the most clever person football has ever seen, certainly not.

I am however someone with an open mind who is willing to entertain other theories, experience them and then make a judgement on them.
    400px-Steve_McClaren_2012_1.jpg

Anyway I'm not going to reply to everyone individually as that would be far too time consuming so I will wrap it all up with this.

I find some sections of LOI fans condescending, sanctimonious and patronizing. This is an opinion I have formed from knowing many regular Waterford United goers and it is an opinion that has only been reaffirmed by some LOI fans on this thread.

I'm just going to take a few quotes from Broadsheet.ie left in the comments section, giving reasons why some people don't attend LOI games.

"not sure how that gets me, or the majority of the country with no local team, to give a crap about one from another area/county with insular fans constantly on their high-horse though…."

"That is EXACTLY why League of Ireland is unpopular!

I have tried to go on many occassions only to like I was venturing into the old boys club and very unwelcome. Tolka Park bar on a Friday night is an intimidating place. Much as they would have you believe they want better support, it is only so long and you aren’t on their patch!

Well said indeed."

"People don’t go because they don’t want to. Painting it as an unpleasant duty isn’t going to change their minds."

"1. The live product is of a much lower standard than what’s avalable on TV in the comfort of your home or favourite pub.
    2. There is no glamour or social cache associated with going to LOI matches. This is unlikely to ever change. Heino Cup egg-chasing is a middle class water cooler boaster’s wet dream. LOI fans are regarded with barely concealed contempt by such people. Rugby, like golf, is a status symbol for the majority of its ‘supporters’.
    3. Irish people in general, beyond a hardcore, do ot support a losing team. By definition a football league dictates that all bar one or two teams are essentially losers, and the crowds will always reflect that.
    4. Furthermore Irish people don’t actually attend ‘League’ matches in any sport in big numbers. GAA only gets the crowds for the KO stages of the Leagues and the Championship. Most GAA people who call themselves fans might only attend 5 inter county matches per year. Dr Robotnik League matches get **** crowds, with the exception of Leinster and sometimes Munster, who get massive media coverage and whose supporters are guaranteed a victory 90% of the time. Only sing when you’re winning etc.
    5. The facilities are still ****, and many of the coaches still play hoofball."

This was just a sample of reasons why different people don't attend LOI.

My original point was that I find some LOI fans pretentious and sanctimonious, it would be tough for anyone to come to a different conclusion were they to read through this thread.

So I am going to go and watch Super Sunday, tonight I will watch Barcelona vs Betis. If that makes me a consumer or a "barstooler" then so be it, I don't feel the need to go every Friday to the local ground, hang out with some of these LOI fans who have a superiority complex, sit there are watch a sub-standard product for 90 minutes all so that at the end of it I can go to the local pub or onto an internet forum and claim that I am a "real fan" and you aren't. I am better than that.

Anyway I'm not going to reply to everyone individually as that would be far too time consuming so I will wrap it all up with this.

I find some sections of LOI fans condescending, sanctimonious and patronizing. This is an opinion I have formed from knowing many regular Waterford United goers and it is an opinion that has only been reaffirmed by some LOI fans on this thread.

I'm just going to take a few quotes from Broadsheet.ie left in the comments section, giving reasons why some people don't attend LOI games.

"not sure how that gets me, or the majority of the country with no local team, to give a crap about one from another area/county with insular fans constantly on their high-horse though…."

"That is EXACTLY why League of Ireland is unpopular!

I have tried to go on many occassions only to like I was venturing into the old boys club and very unwelcome. Tolka Park bar on a Friday night is an intimidating place. Much as they would have you believe they want better support, it is only so long and you aren’t on their patch!

Well said indeed."

"People don’t go because they don’t want to. Painting it as an unpleasant duty isn’t going to change their minds."

"1. The live product is of a much lower standard than what’s avalable on TV in the comfort of your home or favourite pub.
    2. There is no glamour or social cache associated with going to LOI matches. This is unlikely to ever change. Heino Cup egg-chasing is a middle class water cooler boaster’s wet dream. LOI fans are regarded with barely concealed contempt by such people. Rugby, like golf, is a status symbol for the majority of its ‘supporters’.
    3. Irish people in general, beyond a hardcore, do ot support a losing team. By definition a football league dictates that all bar one or two teams are essentially losers, and the crowds will always reflect that.
    4. Furthermore Irish people don’t actually attend ‘League’ matches in any sport in big numbers. GAA only gets the crowds for the KO stages of the Leagues and the Championship. Most GAA people who call themselves fans might only attend 5 inter county matches per year. Dr Robotnik League matches get **** crowds, with the exception of Leinster and sometimes Munster, who get massive media coverage and whose supporters are guaranteed a victory 90% of the time. Only sing when you’re winning etc.
    5. The facilities are still ****, and many of the coaches still play hoofball."

This was just a sample of reasons why different people don't attend LOI.

My original point was that I find some LOI fans pretentious and sanctimonious, it would be tough for anyone to come to a different conclusion were they to read through this thread.

So I am going to go and watch Super Sunday, tonight I will watch Barcelona vs Betis. If that makes me a consumer or a "barstooler" then so be it, I don't feel the need to go every Friday to the local ground, hang out with some of these LOI fans who have a superiority complex, sit there are watch a sub-standard product for 90 minutes all so that at the end of it I can go to the local pub or onto an internet forum and claim that I am a "real fan" and you aren't. I am better than that.
    I honest to god don't get how you think anyone has more of a superiority complex than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Hes actually wrapping it up now because hes a Chelsea fan. He wants to want the match. Thats good because the thread can get back on track and discuss the real matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

anyway, somebody asked about youth structures. They are definitely improving. Every club has an U-19 side and there was talk a few years ago of a national u-17 league but i don't know what's become of that.

Sligo Rovers in conjunction with Sligo IT sign 2 players on a scholarship every year. They attend the IT and play for both Rovers and the IT teams.

Don't know if any other clubs do this but if they don't it is definitely something to look in to. The player will still have lots of time to move across the water if he so wishes, with some experience of senior football and an education to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

This makes a lot more sense than a young lad going over at 16 and not making it.

Any club with an IT or university in close proximity (and most do) should set up a similar partnership.

I honest to god don't get how you think anyone has more of a superiority complex than you.
    just once id actually like to see him quote something said to him in person and not i saw x on my facebook.
    id also still like him to address how he thinks watching football on tv gives a better understanding than being at a match of any level. of the ball movement is imo, possibly the best technical ability a player can have, you can lose your own marker, tear holes in the defence for another player drag the opposition everywhere at any part of the pitch and all for the benefit of your team mate who may never need to give you the ball because of your actions. (also vice versa for defence and dealing with these players).
    just jumping to a different sport because it springs to mind but michael murphys movement for donegal's first goal in the AI final is a prime example. plain as day for anyone in the stadium but rte's cameras didnt get it (and lets face it, for that match the stadium would be as full of them as any epl game), a fan video on youtube eventually popped up a week later.
    you perspective of a game/players individual performance/skill is so limited by tv cameras

re:henlars, Harps also have that in place with LYIT as of last year, i think athlone may also and a few others that i cant think of from the top of my head... UCD's "advantage" is dimishing ;)
    also good seeing the irish U18 team... the only club to provide 2 players was a LOI club, even if most players came from the english leagues

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That English Premier League is a very poor league. I watched a match today between Liverpool and Everton. It was crap. Some of the general play was rubbish and it finished nil-all. A very un-enjoyable experience and I doubt I'll be watching the league again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

overshoot wrote: »
    id also still like him to address how he thinks watching football on tv gives a better understanding than being at a match of any level.

Have you not seen the gadgets they have on Sky Sports these days? Big fancy touchscreen TVs that football gods like Gary Neville can draw on to explain what is happening "between the lines" to people like AndersonisGod.

It's super-duperly magnificently fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

That English Premier League is a very poor league. I watched a match today between Liverpool and Everton. It was crap. Some of the general play was rubbish and it finished nil-all. A very un-enjoyable experience and I doubt I'll be watching the league again.

I also found some of the Liverpool fans very condescending towards the Everton fans and vice versa.
    The ticket prices are too high for the quality that was on show.
    You're not allowed to stand.
    There's a hooligan aspect that would put me off from going again etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I find some sections of LOI fans condescending, sanctimonious and patronizing.

This is quite funny as it actually describes you to a tee. I'd also add the word 'snob' to that as well.

I reckon you think you're a little Mourinho, reading all your articles and regurgitating it all to whoever will listen.

I'd say you genuinely think you're better than the LOI and lower divisions of leagues around the world which is why you don't pay attention to them.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Have you not seen the gadgets they have on Sky Sports these days? Big fancy touchscreen TVs that football gods like Gary Neville can draw on to explain what is happening "between the lines" to people like AndersonisGod.

It's super-duperly magnificently fascinating.
    yea its great to have it pointed out to you an hour after it happened... the need for it just improves my point that you can see féck all off of what is actually happening.

i have to admit this thread is actually starting to remind me of this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Decided to give the Premier League another chance in the evening game and it was another poor one. I won't be following any of your recommendations in future Andersonisgod.

Decided to give the Premier League another chance in the evening game and it was another poor one. I won't be following any of your recommendations in future Andersonisgod.

United really lacked Carrick in the regista role..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

While obviously quality is an issue

Barcelona I will also stick with for life.

Were they to go bust in the morning and be thrown down the leagues ala Rangers I would still support them 100%.

ah so if barca ended up four or five divisions down where the standard wouldnt be as high you would still stand by them 100%, while that may be the honourable thing to do it is the very reason you claim you do not support LOI. so forgive me if hypocrisy comes to mind.

there has to be a structure in place due to licensing requirements etc. but unfortunately from what i know a lot of clubs dont give a fvck about their schoolboy section its just there to fill the requirement. its a pity because if they had a good working academy it could only be an advantage to their club.

there is also a lot of politics involved. a few years back my clubs (local not LOI) under 18s played a friendly with limerick under 18s. the officials from limerick told me that the local leagues down there would not permit limerick to enter their schoolboy teams in their respective leagues. they felt that the cream of the crop would be attracted by limerick and destroy other local clubs. limericks underage teams were reduced to playing friendlies for the season, and probably beyond. this is a ridiculous state of affairs and something needs to be done to resolve issues like these.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm a bit confused about the condescending attitudes at matches or being greeted with a loathe. When I go to a match the only person I talk to is the guy selling the tickets. Sometimes I'll get chatting to other people having a fag at half-time, which I can answer back as I've been watching the same game but that's about it and even if my views don't correspond with the other persons, it's hardly unusual. I've been to many EPL games when I lived there, I also went to many Swiss and French league games when I lived there, the match day experience is much the same, some fans do it better than others but you'll have that in every league. The only place it was weird was when I went to a Galatasary match once.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

I'm a bit confused about the condescending attitudes at matches or being greeted with a loathe. When I go to a match the only person I talk to is the guy selling the tickets. Sometimes I'll get chatting to other people having a fag at half-time, which I can answer back as I've been watching the same game but that's about it and even if my views don't correspond with the other persons, it's hardly unusual. I've been to many EPL games when I lived there, I also went to many Swiss and French league games when I lived there, the match day experience is much the same, some fans do it better than others but you'll have that in every league. The only place it was weird was when I went to a Galatasary match once.

was it the shish kebabs instead of hotdogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Terrific game of football at the showgrounds this evening. After games like that you really wonder why someone would refuse to give LOI football a chance. End-to-end up till the red for Derry, good passing, Joseph f'kin Ndo in the middle of the park doing his thing and a great atmosphere among the 4,300 in attendance.

I hope the guy I saw on the way home heading into the pub in a United jacket enjoys Monday Night Football, but I know it wont be as good as the game I just watched 10 minutes up the road for €15.

(Well I have a season ticket, but you get my point..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork v Limerick game was a cracker even though we lost.

No hoof ball.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Re. fans not being welcoming, I only started following Bohs at 17 and never heard anything other than encouragement for giving the league a chance. 2 of my friends started going to the games last season and got season tickets for this season and I'm sure they'd agree.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Re. fans not being welcoming, I only started following Bohs at 17 and never heard anything other than encouragement for giving the league a chance. 2 of my friends started going to the games last season and got season tickets for this season and I'm sure they'd agree.

Exactly. The bit in bold is a bullsh!t arguement. Why would fans not welcome potential new supporters?? Because it's not true. Just another excuse not to bother going to a football match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I find some sections of LOI fans condescending, sanctimonious and patronizing. This is an opinion I have formed from knowing many regular Waterford United goers and it is an opinion that has been reaffirmed by some LOI fans on this thread.

My point was some LOI fans pretentious and sanctimonious, it would be tough for anyone to come to a different conclusion were they to read through this thread.

Ok. So amongst all the ****e you've spouted, your main point is you find some sections of LOI fans condescending and patronising. Right. To counter that, I find some sections of EPL/la liga fans condescending and patronising. Yourself included, as evidenced by your posts in this thread.

I would be happy to bring newbies to Rovers matches, and try to all the time. I have friends from abroad and when they're over always try get them to a match. Likewise. When I'm away I try to pick up a match wherever I am. I've been to see all manners of football. From Gent in belgium to tranmere rovers to Manchester united. Also Rovers away matches in Italy, Estonia and London.

You keep reading your articles and watching your telly, I'll keep going to live football matches whenever and wherever I can.

If you find yourself in Tallaght drop me a PM and I'll be happy to bring you to a match and for customary pints in the maldron beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭HoggyRS

monkey9 wrote: »
    Exactly. The bit in bold is a bullsh!t arguement. Why would fans not welcome potential new supporters?? Because it's not true. Just another excuse not to bother going to a football match.

Too right. I don't find the average EPL supporter in a pub overly friendly anyways if we're comparing!

born2bwild wrote: »
    In fairness, "They always cheat, they always lie F*** Delaney and the FAI" is not exactly constructive criticism.

Which is not to say that they listen to constructive criticism - and there's been no shortage of that.

FAI don't give a flying fart about the League of Ireland - they have zero legitimacy as far as I can see.

The FAI are undisputedly the best football association in Abbottstown..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

the Oireachtas Football Supporters Club ......Jesus wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would love to see more people at LoI games but it is probably p1ssing against the wind at this stage trying to persuade people to come, but the one thing that always struck me was the fact that Irish people can be some of the most patriotic in the world. Many love their Irishness, their identity, wear colours when abroad etc, and many are fanatical football fans too, who will cheer on an English league team passionately at the pub while they have zero interest in their own local football team.

I know quite a few Derry men like this. I have travelled to Scotland, England, Spain, Italy, Germany with them for matches, but they wouldn't go to watch Derry City if you paid them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Press Release
    Soccer Scholar Signs for Huddersfield Town
    Jake Carroll, NUI Maynooth Soccer Scholar currently playing for St Patrick’s Athletic, has signed for Huddersfield Town. The sports scholar, who is undertaking a Business Degree in Venture Management at NUI Maynooth, has made over 50 appearances for Pat’s during his scholarship. He signs for Huddersfield after having two separate spells on trial with the Championship side.
    Barry Prenderville, FAI Soccer Development Officer at NUI Maynooth, said that "the aim of our sports scholarship programmes is to assist talented student athletes, like Jake, to achieve their academic and sporting potential while at university. Jake has had access to expert coaching, fitness training, sports psychology, health and nutrition advice, performance analysis and lifestyle management assistance while completing his studies at NUI Maynooth. We are extremely proud of his achievement and wish him every success in Huddersfield. "
    Huddersfield Town manager Mark Robins told the club’s official website: "Jake impressed a lot when he was here a few weeks ago on trial. He is left-sided, quick, powerful and has a good attitude with an aptitude to learn quickly”.

St Patrick’s chairman Garrett Kelleher said he was “particularly pleased that Jake could complete his third level education and now embark on his football career with a degree which we hope will serve him well in future years”.
    St. Patrick’s Athletic F.C.’s scholarship partnership with NUI Maynooth is a long-term commitment to the development of young players at the Inchicore club.

JakeCarrollHuddersfieldAnnoncement.JPG
    Pictured with Jake Carroll (foreground) are Daniel Campbell, Sean Hoare and Kevin Farragher, NUI Maynooth Soccer Scholars.

http://communications.nuim.ie/press/07052013i.shtml

the Oireachtas Football Supporters Club ......Jesus wept

Sometimes I hate this f**king country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Cork v Limerick game was a cracker even though we lost.

No hoof ball.

Were you at the game? I saw the first game. Was disappointed the derby games didn't have a bit more bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Maybe if it was disbanded and regionalised?

• Advertisement
Advertisement