Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to fix our league! - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It is never about keeping players. It is about getting the best price possible for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Despite the failure of Dublin City FC, I still think a 'Dublin-named' team could attract fans. The club would have to start from the bottom though, as in DDSL. Work it from there. Maybe a fan-owned club like the FORAS operates etc.

Just no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

dan1895 wrote: »
    Just no!

Compelling argument :)

CSF wrote: »
    A fan-owned club starting out with no fans? How exactly would that work?

Well, the people that contribute would obviously be fans of their new club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Well, the people that contribute would obviously be fans of their new club.

So you think a load of people who have never before shown interest in supporting an Irish club are now not only going to start supporting one, but also paying the substantial enough membership fees required to run one just because it has Dublin in the name?

I don't like to completely run down someone's idea, but what world are you living in?

Compelling argument :)

Its about as much attention that kind of idea deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

We need to adopt the German ownership system. At 51% of the club has to be owned by the fans.

Our problems go a lot further than club ownership. While it would be a start and definately a step in the right direction we have much bigger issues to address.

Clubs are ultimately where the blame is to lay. Not just with how they are run but how they co-operate. The FAI dont do it so the clubs need to step up, sub-committees need to be set up and such to try and market the league as a whole.

We need a whole range of topics to be addressed in order for the league to be successful and while the FAI are responsible, the biggest factor in this is if the clubs are willing to step up their efforts and improve the game from the bottom up.

We need to restructure grass roots, advertising, longetivity, professionalism, and a whole host of areas. Stuff like the LoI website are a joke, the way rules are imposed are a joke and such.

What ever happened to that fans forum? Some posters here were involved?

Despite the failure of Dublin City FC, I still think a 'Dublin-named' team could attract fans. The club would have to start from the bottom though, as in DDSL. Work it from there. Maybe a fan-owned club like the FORAS operates etc.

Im sure this could actually work in terms of start up capital. Maybe not for Dublin but you may very well get a capital investment for another county, if you marketed it to the right people, the likes of americans/tourists etc. The league entry is costly and hence it wouldnt work well unless it was built into a pre-existing grass roots development, a pre-existing ground and gathered local interest fast enough.

None the less, not a priority. We need to work with what we have first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Too many regions of the country aren't represented in the league. That's something which should be a high priority to address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

dan1895 wrote: »
    Its about as much attention that kind of idea deserves.
    There was an arguement recently about the attitudes of LOI fans. I think that is what was being talked about.

An idea was proposed and rudely dismissed without even being considered. Instead of being an ass about it, why not look at the idea and see how it could be changed into something that might work?

Or, if you think it wont work ever, explain why instead of just dismissing it such a rude manner. It's not helping anyone the way it was dismissed and puts off others from contributing.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    There was an arguement recently about the attitudes of LOI fans. I think that is what was being talked about.

An idea was proposed and rudely dismissed without even being considered. Instead of being an ass about it, why not look at the idea and see how it could be changed into something that might work?

Or, if you think it wont work ever, explain why instead of just dismissing it such a rude manner. It's not helping anyone the way it was dismissed and puts off others from contributing.
    If I go into the United and Liverpool threads and say something ridiculous that makes no real sense, ill get told as much. Why would the LOI thread be any different? We are football fans not peace delegates.

This type of "Dublin Club" idea has been discussed for years on here and other forums. I'm bored of it. Dublin City didn't work, Kildare County didn't work and Sporting Fingal didn't work. Fresh ideas please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

a dublin city club was attenpted and failed. there are 5 clubs in dublin city as it is. any club will have a hard time trying to carve out a fanbase and a county name isnt going to help them develop, especially in the junior leagues where everything is so much more local.
    sporting fingal had a good original plan, build from the grass levels and i think the aim was build a stadium in balbriggan away from areas with proper established support... then they became a boom baby and went tits up playing out of where dublin city couldnt get any fans. principal ideas are good, executing them in another, especially when the plan is over a decade, not years. there may be room for a fingal team, but a chance of a dublin fc has come and gone imo. (edit as dan1895 mentioned kildare fc/newbridge is another example of it beig tried and failed, hell salhill/sd galway debacle too but thats and extra can of worms)

but the thread title is how to fix the league, not start a club (yes i think we need more) but one club is not going to fix the league (especially another dublin one!). the notional term of the 'model club' in this league which has been thrown around for years, is bull**** its just whoevers on top at the time. realistically the model clubs are those operating within their budgets, turning a profit and active in their community especially with schools programs etc so they can build for the future. its a slow process but many clubs have to build in order to fix the league. more clubs yes! not that the step up is financially viable when it costs nearly 100k to field an amateur team in the loi. cough** A championship**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Too many regions of the country aren't represented in the league. That's something which should be a high priority to address.

The sad issue is that may regions which have had LOI teams have folded. Kilkenny, Kildare, Monaghan etc.

Madworld wrote: »
    The sad issue is that may regions which have had LOI teams have folded. Kilkenny, Kildare, Monaghan etc.

I know. Getting more regions involved is far from easy. Not many new regions entered the A Championship when it came in. It shouldn't stop the FAI from having a target or blueprint to bring on the game in more regions. Travel costs are massive. The costs of getting a first division team on the road is crazy. A few clubs like Tralee Dynamos had their first division applications rejected. I think at the very least their should be three regional leagues set-up in the country. One in the North-West region, one in the East and one in the South-West region. The winner of the 3 regions could join the bottom team of the first division in a 4 team play-off. It would get more regions on the football ladder without facing enormous costs and having less stringent criteria as they work to build on and off the pitch. I think clubs involved in the LoI currently and a few clubs being brought into a regional league would be best placed to work on developing the game within their regions.

If I go into the United and Liverpool threads and say something ridiculous that makes no real sense, ill get told as much. Why would the LOI thread be any different? We are football fans not peace delegates.

Just because other people act like dícks to you, doesn't mean you have to adopt similar attitudes. Grow up.

Just because other people act like dícks to you, doesn't mean you have to adopt similar attitudes. Grow up.
    Saying that what you say makes no sense isn't acting like a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Awful article and he seems to misunderstand human nature. Sure as a LoI fan I would love to play for Shamrock Rovers, despite not supporting them I would love even more to play for Madrid in a CL final. Why? Because thats even better, international fame, money and glory. Playing infront of 60k fans every week is not what an LoI team can ever offer.

Nearly every league in the world is built to be a feeder for the likes of La Liga or PL. Even most leagues are a feeder for the top team, look at the German league and how Bayern have bought all the talent from everyone else, same as any league. The bottom clubs feed the top clubs and the bottom leagues feed other clubs.

Unfortunately we fall down on contracts and players simply just move for free as we cant afford to hold onto prospects and sell for high. Junior leagues have greatly profited from the U21 year old compensation rule. The more money we can make from selling players, the more money we can put into development and keeping good players longer, selling them for more and making more money, cyclical.
    Ireland is still one of the few European countries with no formal links between the best structures at underage and senior level.

Only part I agreed with. And it's perfectly correct. Very hard to build up though and hard for any intervention from the FAI to change. Trying to get these teams to link up with a senior team is the only way, or getting regional teams to try enter an A championship team is the other way.

• Advertisement

Saying that what you say makes no sense isn't acting like a dick.

That wasn't my point. You said "If I go into the United and Liverpool threads and say something ridiculous that makes no real sense, ill get told as much.?Why would the LOI thread be any different"

You're the one who chose to be a dick with the words you used. I don't object to contrasting opinions, but at lease be respectful about it and not purposely dick-ish just because that's the way they behave on a Liverpool and United thread.

That wasn't my point. You said "If I go into the United and Liverpool threads and say something ridiculous that makes no real sense, ill get told as much.?Why would the LOI thread be any different"

You're the one who chose to be a dick with the words you used. I don't object to contrasting opinions, but at lease be respectful about it and not purposely dick-ish just because that's the way they behave on a Liverpool and United thread.

Except I wasn't being a dick. You said something ridiculous and got told as much. Nothing personal was said.

Except I wasn't being a dick. You said something ridiculous and got told as much. Nothing personal was said.

I hate to be derailing the thread, but once again, you're missing my point. You said my idea was ridiculous and dismissed it without any constructive criticism, for which you were told off. You then defended your lack of substance with the argument that that's what happens in Liverpool threads etc. I said that's no excuse for being a dick, and now we're here.

Conversation 1 between Pat D. Almighty and dan1895:
    Pat D. Almighty: Despite the failure of Dublin City FC, I still think a 'Dublin-named' team could attract fans. The club would have to start from the bottom though, as in DDSL. Work it from there. Maybe a fan-owned club like the FORAS operates etc.
    dan1895: Just no!
    Pat D. Almighty: Compelling argument
    dan1895: Its about as much attention that kind of idea deserves.

Conversation 2 between Pat D. Almighty and CSF, with input from dan1895 and gnfnrhead:
    Pat D. Almighty: Despite the failure of Dublin City FC, I still think a 'Dublin-named' team could attract fans. The club would have to start from the bottom though, as in DDSL. Work it from there. Maybe a fan-owned club like the FORAS operates etc.
    CSF: A fan-owned club starting out with no fans? How exactly would that work?
    Pat D. Almighty: Well, the people that contribute would obviously be fans of their new club.
    CSF: So you think a load of people who have never before shown interest in supporting an Irish club are now not only going to start supporting one, but also paying the substantial enough membership fees required to run one just because it has Dublin in the name?
    I don't like to completely run down someone's idea, but what world are you living in?
    dan1895: Its about as much attention that kind of idea deserves.
    gnfnrhead: There was an arguement recently about the attitudes of LOI fans. I think that is what was being talked about.
    CSF: If I go into the United and Liverpool threads and say something ridiculous that makes no real sense, ill get told as much. Why would the LOI thread be any different? We are football fans not peace delegates.
    dan1895: This type of "Dublin Club" idea has been discussed for years on here and other forums. I'm bored of it. Dublin City didn't work, Kildare County didn't work and Sporting Fingal didn't work. Fresh ideas please.
    Pat D. Almighty: Just because other people act like dícks to you, doesn't mean you have to adopt similar attitudes. Grow up.
    CSF: Saying that what you say makes no sense isn't acting like a dick.
    Pat D. Almighty: That wasn't my point. You said "If I go into the United and Liverpool threads and say something ridiculous that makes no real sense, ill get told as much.?Why would the LOI thread be any different"
    CSF: Except I wasn't being a dick. You said something ridiculous and got told as much. Nothing personal was said.
    Pat D. Almighty: I hate to be derailing the thread, but once again, you're missing my point. You said my idea was ridiculous and dismissed it without any constructive criticism, for which you were told off. You then defended your lack of substance with the argument that that's what happens in Liverpool threads etc. I said that's no excuse for being a dick, and now we're here.
    This conversation has grown some legs! I don't see what you've got to complain about Pat D?

Dan said no, which is fair enough. CSF responded with questions and followed your response by as politely as he could not to completely run down your idea.

Since CSF responded:
    So you think a load of people who have never before shown interest in supporting an Irish club are now not only going to start supporting one, but also paying the substantial enough membership fees required to run one just because it has Dublin in the name?

Pat D, you've have as of yet to offer anything constructive in response to back up your idea. In so doing, you are derailing this thread regards how to fix our league?

You suggested: "We need to adopt the German ownership system. At 51% of the club has to be owned by the fans."

That idea has merit. It's down to individual clubs however. There is no one solution that fits all. Limerick for example seem to have good ownership. I don't think they'd benefit for a fan owned club model and this point in time. For Shamrock Rovers and Cork City it has been the way to go. Shamrock Rovers for example were willing to give Michael O'Neill more investment into the team as they've seen what has happened other clubs who started to spend beyond their means in pursuit of some success or European money.

Your next suggestion: "Despite the failure of Dublin City FC, I still think a 'Dublin-named' team could attract fans. The club would have to start from the bottom though, as in DDSL. Work it from there. Maybe a fan-owned club like the FORAS operates etc."

It is hard to respond to this suggestion. You have clubs with history and tradition in Dublin. Sporting Fingal wanted to build a club for the Fingal area and look at what happened there.

Bohs I understand were to have some deal to move from Dalymount Park. I think Shels might have had a similar opportunity? Would Bohs have benefitted from a move? With the Celtic Tiger bust, it's clearly not the time for any clubs to move right now.

The league can only be fixed within current structures and clubs but also branching out into more regions of the country in time.

Magic-ing up clubs is not the answer.

This conversation has grown some legs! I don't see what you've got to complain about Pat D?

Dan said no, which is fair enough. CSF responded with questions and followed your response by as politely as he could not to completely run down your idea.

Since CSF responded:

Pat D, you've have as of yet to offer anything constructive in response to back up your idea. In so doing, you are derailing this thread regards how to fix our league?

You suggested: "We need to adopt the German ownership system. At 51% of the club has to be owned by the fans."

That idea has merit. It's down to individual clubs however. There is no one solution that fits all. Limerick for example seem to have good ownership. I don't think they'd benefit for a fan owned club model and this point in time. For Shamrock Rovers and Cork City it has been the way to go. Shamrock Rovers for example were willing to give Michael O'Neill more investment into the team as they've seen what has happened other clubs who started to spend beyond their means in pursuit of some success or European money.

Your next suggestion: "Despite the failure of Dublin City FC, I still think a 'Dublin-named' team could attract fans. The club would have to start from the bottom though, as in DDSL. Work it from there. Maybe a fan-owned club like the FORAS operates etc."

It is hard to respond to this suggestion. You have clubs with history and tradition in Dublin. Sporting Fingal wanted to build a club for the Fingal area and look at what happened there.

Bohs I understand were to have some deal to move from Dalymount Park. I think Shels might have had a similar opportunity? Would Bohs have benefitted from a move? With the Celtic Tiger bust, it's clearly not the time for any clubs to move right now.

The league can only be fixed within current structures and clubs but also branching out into more regions of the country in time.

Magic-ing up clubs is not the answer.
    Super post. I genuinely believe the whole 'stop being a dick' thing was basically code for 'I can't back up my point'

Super post. I genuinely believe the whole 'stop being a dick' thing was basically code for 'I can't back up my point'

No, the whole 'stop being a dick' thing was basically me asking you if the Liverpool thread put their hand in the fire, would you do it as well? In fairness to you, I got you mixed up with Dan, who was the one who's comments were just dismissive without any critique.

• Advertisement

Good article on the RTE website about what the FAI should be doing:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0604/454450-alan-cawleys-airtricity-league-blog/

I've got to say I agree 100% with the article and it's exactly what I'm calling for. It's an absolute no-brainer, it really does say a lot about how inept the FAI are.

The League of Ireland is providing nearly half the Irish squad without any assistance at all. If the FAI were to even make a few easy efforts for the league, it could help get more talent through our league. Secondly, surely it should be in the FAI's interest to have a culture of people actually going to live games. If attendances increase at LoI games and people see the clear link between former LoI player working there way into the national side, it surely should have a positive spin off for better attendances at international matches.

No, the whole 'stop being a dick' thing was basically me asking you if the Liverpool thread put their hand in the fire, would you do it as well? In fairness to you, I got you mixed up with Dan, who was the one who's comments were just dismissive without any critique.

In fairness I later said that it had tried and failed a number of times in recent years and that it had been discussed a few times. I then gave three example of Dublin City, Sporting Fingal and Kildare County.

Well I'm still awaiting you backing up your point, how exactly do you think Dublin could set up a fan owned club with no fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

There are more than enough clubs in Dublin in financial difficulty and getting poor crowds.

Talk of adding another one is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/813/457608/

Excellent discussion here about the state of the league.

• Advertisement

Madworld wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/813/457608/

Excellent discussion here about the state of the league.

Thanks for that, interesting discussion alright. Hard to see anything happening however. The FAI as is known are broke. Until they can get their finances sorted, the game will be in a poor state. The IRFU finances have been healthy. That has them and the GAA in a good position to promote their games. Irish soccer has similarities to Scottish rugby. The Scottish Rugby Union has financial problems and the game has been poor there for a while not enough investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Good article on the RTE website about what the FAI should be doing:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0604/454450-alan-cawleys-airtricity-league-blog/

I've got to say I agree 100% with the article and it's exactly what I'm calling for. It's an absolute no-brainer, it really does say a lot about how inept the FAI are.

The League of Ireland is providing nearly half the Irish squad without any assistance at all. If the FAI were to even make a few easy efforts for the league, it could help get more talent through our league. Secondly, surely it should be in the FAI's interest to have a culture of people actually going to live games. If attendances increase at LoI games and people see the clear link between former LoI player working there way into the national side, it surely should have a positive spin off for better attendances at international matches.

Cawleys blogs are crap and this one is nearly average.

A simple idea get only Ex LOI players playing for ireland to advertise ireland games. its not hard to do. This forum has a hard on for Wes (lol) so get him and Fahey and Mc Clean and Coleman etc to do all advertising and witha catchy slogan like

"born in ireland, played in ireland"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cawleys blogs are crap and this one is nearly average.

A simple idea get only Ex LOI players playing for ireland to advertise ireland games. its not hard to do. This forum has a hard on for Wes (lol) so get him and Fahey and Mc Clean and Coleman etc to do all advertising and witha catchy slogan like

"born in ireland, played in ireland"
    Might be rubbing a certain element up the wrong way by including Mclean in that advert.

Throw Connor Sammon in there instead. 'Born in Ireland, sat on benches in Ireland'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Should have been a bumper summer for the league.

No big tournaments to speak of and the best weather we've had in years.

Do you think the league has made hay?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Should have been a bumper summer for the league.

No big tournaments to speak of and the best weather we've had in years.

Do you think the league has made hay?

It has in its balls.

1000 people in Richmond tonight??

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know if there was a league in Ireland if I didn't follow it.

We were playing in the Champions League the other night, Man Yoos pre season result was mentioned before the fact we were playing was.

This country and its sports fans are an absolute joke, if you can't get people to go watch teams the play like Pats with the summer we are having then we may as well throw our hats at it.

Fold the league and just pool all our resources into entering one team into the greatest league in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

LOI is finished imo, had a nice spell between 2006-2010 but all the good work has just been zapped out of it. It lacks life, and any sort of buzz. The overspending etc. made the league seem better.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    LOI is finished imo
    Not til the end of October man

EdenHazard wrote: »
    LOI is finished imo, had a nice spell between 2006-2010 but all the good work has just been zapped out of it. It lacks life, and any sort of buzz. The overspending etc. made the league seem better.

Chelsea fan?;)

Why is there no buzz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I cant imagine living in Inchicore/Kilmainham/Bulfin...even Drimnagh, Crumlin and Bluebell for that matter and not following St.Pats. It baffles me how people can just amble on by Richmond Park in Liverpool and United tops while games (especially Dublin derbies or European games) are taking place.

Frankly, I'm jealous that the above mentioned area HAS a team to call it's own. I'm in Clonee myself and support Bohs, but we don't have that close-knit sense of community out our way. How do these people not get sucked in and be dyed in the wool?!

Something wrong alright.

LOI is alien to so many people up in Dublin for some reason.

Getting back to buzz and potential for a bumper summer, for me its a a case of a cash strapped FAI being unable to run the league in a progressive fashion.

Marketing budget must be at an all time low.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Dublin is a bit off this season. Bohs and Shels are rooted to the bottom, Rovers have been mid-table for 18 months and Pats are never a side to bring in attendances.

There was probably as many Pats fans in Tallaght on Tuesday night as there was tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Something wrong alright.

LOI is alien to so many people up in Dublin for some reason.

Getting back to buzz and potential for a bumper summer, for me its a a case of a cash strapped FAI being unable to run the league in a progressive fashion.

Marketing budget must be at an all time low.

when is the contract or whatever up? ive probably asked before but cant recall. lets take it out of the f.a.ilures hands and get somebody to run it that actually cares about it and hasnt got hidden agendas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The FAI is broke at a time when LOI clubs need assistance with regard to improving infrastructure and marketing. They need to be able to support new regional clubs to enter the league but they don't have the funds. As a result, the small divisions see clubs playing each other too regularly and it is becoming stale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Maybe it should be regionalised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

gimmick wrote: »
    Maybe it should be regionalised?
    For the most part it is.In Leinster.

It's a tough one for the league. The move to summer soccer year's back make sense for European action as our league's clubs are in action in the summer months. The flip side is, Gaelic Games are in the spotlight for the summer months. I know the FAI are broke but they could at least make some effort to promote their domestic league. A good number of our current international players have come through the league of ireland. They should promote the league more in terms of talented players who have come through the league and the players to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Bring the league format back to the normal football calender. we have 2/3 months play with no English premiership and the crowds are still ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

major bill wrote: »
    Bring the league format back to the normal football calender. we have 2/3 months play with no English premiership and the crowds are still ****e.

Imagine them in the freezing cold of winter so. I think summer football has prevented attendances from plummeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

dsmythy wrote: »
    Imagine them in the freezing cold of winter so. I think summer football has prevented attendances from plummeting.

what the whole June July of the league, our crowds are worse in the summer, I remember freak attendences back in the winter football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Sad to say it but I think the league is finished.

Barely 1000 at Pats v Cork last night is brutal. This year has had some the worst attendances I've seen in the last 25 years.

I feel sorry for the people in the game who try desperately to attract people in. It's a lost cause. We're just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Advertisement