Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to fix our league! - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

TheDoc wrote: »
    Went to Rovers v Derry there last weekend, nothing going on and someone put it out as a potential trip. Just another disappointing trip to a league of ireland ground. I'm not one of caring much about facilities, the stadium was fine, transport and all that was grand, but the football was absolutely dire. It was a really poor match and we sat in the stands somewhat perplexed. I fully appreciate every game of football isn't going to be good, or a thriller, but it was just REALLY poor stuff.
    I don’t think you’re going to find anyone on here who will argue otherwise – it was an absolutely awful game.

But then, I watched several matches in which Trapattoni’s Ireland played absolutely atrocious “football”, but it would be ridiculous for me to conclude from any one of those games that all international football is pants.
    And that's been my takeaway from any game I've gone to see.
    Sorry, but that Rovers – Derry game was exceptionally bad. There’s no way that was representative of the standard of the LOI.
    I don't play anymore, so go watch my mates who still do, and sometimes it isn't obvious to outline the difference between the groups playing Sunday league, and the guys playing at the top level.
    If there wasn’t much of a difference, then the laws of probability suggest that there’d be a few non-league teams in the latter stages of the FAI Cup every year. The reality is most of them are gone by the second round (when the league sides enter) and virtually none make it beyond the third.
    And I'm not bashing or belittling the game or the standard, I'd genuinelly have a massive interest in going to games weekly, but at the moment, struggling big time to have and keep an interest.
    Well, at least you’ve made the effort to go to a game, which is far more than most football fans in Ireland manage.

But, as has been suggested, you need to give it a chance. If you want to see good football in Dublin, then I wouldn’t look beyond Pats (disclaimer: I’m a Pats fan). They and Sligo are probably the two best footballing, most technical sides in the country at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

djpbarry wrote: »
    They and Sligo are probably the two best footballing, most technical sides in the country at the moment.
    You didn't see us on Friday night so.. :o

Three defensive midfielders being bypassed by Spillane's 'spray passing' all night long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I don’t think you’re going to find anyone on here who will argue otherwise – it was an absolutely awful game.

But then, I watched several matches in which Trapattoni’s Ireland played absolutely atrocious “football”, but it would be ridiculous for me to conclude from any one of those games that all international football is pants.
    Sorry, but that Rovers – Derry game was exceptionally bad. There’s no way that was representative of the standard of the LOI.
    If there wasn’t much of a difference, then the laws of probability suggest that there’d be a few non-league teams in the latter stages of the FAI Cup every year. The reality is most of them are gone by the second round (when the league sides enter) and virtually none make it beyond the third.
    Well, at least you’ve made the effort to go to a game, which is far more than most football fans in Ireland manage.

But, as has been suggested, you need to give it a chance. If you want to see good football in Dublin, then I wouldn’t look beyond Pats (disclaimer: I’m a Pats fan). They and Sligo are probably the two best footballing, most technical sides in the country at the moment.

You forgetting us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

AgileMyth wrote: »
    You didn't see us on Friday night so.. :o

Three defensive midfielders being bypassed by Spillane's 'spray passing' all night long.

In fairness, Spillane used to play alongside Dan Murray. It'll take a while for him to get that out of his system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Henlars67 wrote: »
    In fairness, Spillane used to play alongside Dan Murray. It'll take a while for him to get that out of his system

Nothing to with Dan at all. Spillane just loves his Hollywood balls, unfortunately the quality of them tend to be Hollywood, Co.Wicklow.

You forgetting us :D
    Honourable mention to Dundalk.

To be honest, I think if you pick any game at random on any given weekend, you're likely to see decent football, with the possible exception of games involving Bray (now that Matthews is there) and Derry (on the basis of what I've seen in the first two televised games of the season, which have been truly awful).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shamrock Rovers average attendance 2011 (1st): 3,800
    Shamrock Rovers average attendance 2013 (5th): 2,800

Shelbourne average attendance 2001 (1st): 1,700
    Shelbourne average attendance 2002 (FD): 900

Drogheda United average attendance 2007 (1st): 1,900
    Drogheda United average attendance 2009 (9th): 850

Sligo Rovers average attendance 2012 (1st): 3,000
    Sligo Rovers average attendance 2013 (3rd): 2,300

Derry City average attendance 2008 (3rd): 3,400
    Derry City average attendance 2010 (FD): 2,000

Dundalk average attendance 2010 (6th): 1,900
    Dundalk average attendance 2012 (11th): 800

Cork City average attendance 2008 (5th): 3,100
    Cork City average attendance 2010 (FD): 1,700

I really don't know what you're trying to achieve here but you're desperately misinformed.

Comparing 1st Div and Premier attendances of clubs isn't a good reflection in my opinion, bear in mind clubs in the 1st Division have little or no away fans (Wexford brought about 30 to Tolka, whereas the likes of Pats/Dundalk/Rovers/Bohs brought up to 1,000, it's obviously going to bump the average attendance a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am genuinely worried about Derry this season.

OK so in the first game we went to Tallaght with certain tactics to get the draw. Didn't make for a great game.
    However, at home the other day were were abysmal. Some are trying to blame the pitch, which was awful, very bumpy and grass far too long. But for me there is no excuse for what I witnessed at the Brandywell on Sunday. Senior footballers should still try to play football on the ground even on bumpy pitches. There is no excuse for just aimlessly lumping it long up the pitch in the hope it might fall to your team mates. That is caveman stuff and you wouldn't see it much these days.

Our attendance was also shocking for the 1st home game of the season. OK for Utd v Lpool was on the box, and Derry were playing Dublin in GAA round the corner from the Brandywell, but it is still worrying.

As for trying to sell the league, unfortunately as long as managers like Roddy value results over trying to play the game properly, then it will always be hard to attract people out to games. Anyone who has watched the 1st 2 televised LoI games this season will hardly be rushing along to any games anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

NIMAN wrote: »
    As for trying to sell the league, unfortunately as long as managers like Roddy value results over trying to play the game properly, then it will always be hard to attract people out to games. Anyone who has watched the 1st 2 televised LoI games this season will hardly be rushing along to any games anytime soon.

I'm no fan of the spoofer Collins, but I think thats a bit unfair on him. He's in a results business. City showed absolutely no signs of being a good footballing side on Sunday but I still came away after the game over the moon with the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I emailed limerick FC twice to try to buy 50 tickets for our club, still no response. They don't want our trade it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

CHealy wrote: »
    I'm no fan of the spoofer Collins, but I think thats a bit unfair on him. He's in a results business. City showed absolutely no signs of being a good footballing side on Sunday but I still came away after the game over the moon with the result.

Sorry don't understand your point, I'm chatting about trying to sell our league to those that don't come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

ch750536 wrote: »
    I emailed limerick FC twice to try to buy 50 tickets for our club, still no response. They don't want our trade it seems.

Try Phoning, email can be ignored

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I passed the link above to a person who works in LFC. Im sure someone will follow up soon enough.

uch wrote: »
    Why are emails being ignored? There's no excuse for that carry on. I'll be the first to defend the LOI, but the clubs really don't do themselves any favours at all with these little things.

Why are emails being ignored? There's no excuse for that carry on. I'll be the first to defend the LOI, but the clubs really don't do themselves any favours at all with these little things.

I said "Can Be", if mail isn't being monitored constantly, they can be overlooked, where as the phone ringing will get quicker attention IMO

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I rang and emailed a LOI club that shall remain nameless last week. Only got a response when I tweeted extratime.ie. The club responded and everything worked out brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I went to the Bohemians v Drogheda game last weekend, on the advice of some people here. A very enjoyable evenings football, I have to say, a bit scrappy in the first half but a very entertaining game overall. One thing I noticed was the complete lack of visibility of the fact that there was a football game taking place in Dalymount. I drove up the North Circular Road, parked in one of the side streets near the church and walked to the ground. At no stage, did I see anything to indicate that there was a game on. Is this common for all clubs or is it just a result of the location of Dalymount Park? Think of how many people drive down that road on a Friday evening. How many of them were aware that there was a game on?

COYW wrote: »
    I went to the Bohemians v Drogheda game last weekend, on the advice of some people here. A very enjoyable evenings football, I have to say, a bit scrappy in the first half but a very entertaining game overall. One thing I noticed was the complete lack of visibility of the fact that there was a football game taking place in Dalymount. I drove up the North Circular Road, parked in one of the side streets near the church and walked to the ground. At no stage, did I see anything to indicate that there was a game on. Is this common for all clubs or is it just a result of the location of Dalymount Park? Think of how many people drive down that road on a Friday evening. How many of them were aware that there was a game on?

Its a common occurance in my experience. Lack of advertising and publicity is a serious problem in the LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

marwelie wrote: »
    Its a common occurance in my experience. Lack of advertising and publicity is a serious problem in the LOI.

Definitely, while we're all rightly very critical of the FAI, the clubs don't do themselves any favours either.

Only a handful of clubs even attempt to market themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Richmond Park in Inchicore would be much the same, you wouldn't know it's there unless you were looking for it, but they do have a billboard at their box office on Emmet Rd which says when the next match is. Shamrock Rovers always have a next match billboard up to at Tallaght and their Superstore looks great. I've also heard radio ads for Rovers.

There is a massive advertisement spot at Doyle's corner (funnily enough at the Bohemian Bar) where the Phibsboro Road meets the NCR, just where the Europark at park is. I'd love to see a poster up on that for Dalyer/Bohs as I've seen many a GAA ad on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Only a handful of clubs advertise because only a handful of clubs can afford to.

Only a handful of clubs advertise because only a handful of clubs can afford to.

While I agree with you, it's not too expensive to print off a few A4 sheets and stick them around the locality.
    The only club I've seen doing this is Bray, I've also seen small signs on timber stakes in the Roadway margins on the way into Bray, surely not too expensive to do this. I know Dalyer is in a built up area but a few flyers could be stuck in local shop windows at minimal cost.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

While I agree with you, it's not too expensive to print off a few A4 sheets and stick them around the locality.
    The only club I've seen doing this is Bray

I think most clubs have probably done this at one time or another. Limerick certainly have at different times (I don't think they do now though). Your overall point stands anyway, clubs are nowhere near proactive enough about promoting themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The only club I've seen doing this is Bray, I've also seen small signs on timber stakes in the Roadway margins on the way into Bray, surely not too expensive to do this. I know Dalyer is in a built up area but a few flyers could be stuck in local shop windows at minimal cost.

Bohs used to do this quite extensively. They provided posters that fans could print out and put up around the place. I'm not too sure why they don't do it anymore.

Bohs used to do this quite extensively. They provided posters that fans could print out and put up around the place. I'm not too sure why they don't do it anymore.

Dundalk do this, Done it for the Limerick game (but put the posters online on Wednesday 2 days before the game)
    Was no advertising at the parade in town from Dundalk FC on Monday, although season ticket sales have risen over 50% so maybe they dont think they need too.

• Advertisement

Dundalk do this, Done it for the Limerick game (but put the posters online on Wednesday 2 days before the game)
    Was no advertising at the parade in town from Dundalk FC on Monday, although season ticket sales have risen over 50% so maybe they dont think they need too.

And the Hoops do it too. Although I'm not sure how many people would do it. The old Irish problem of "Its not my job comes to mind..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Yep, left a message also, still nothing.

Clubs don't have even a few hundred Euro to spare to promote each home game?

Come off it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Advertising is rarely a waste of money.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

What was the highest attended league game last season? Anyone? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

According to Soccerway it was Shams 0 St Patricks Athletic 4 in Tallaght Stadium 9th August. Attendence of 4703.

Interestingly the figure for last year has already being beaten by the Cork-Pats game in Turners Cross.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

has to be one of the 3 Mervue V Salthill games I reckon. Leagues lost without them :D

Bohs V Rovers might have a good attendance tonight, both sides off to a good start.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bohs V Rovers might have a good attendance tonight, both sides off to a good start.

Rovers have sold their 900 tickets anyway I read, so hopefully might get 3000plus. Would love to go but Sligo tomorrow and havnt the funds for both

Rovers have sold their 900 tickets anyway I read, so hopefully might get 3000plus. Would love to go but Sligo tomorrow and havnt the funds for both

I've actually never been to a league game that didn't involve Bohs*. Would many on here go to a match on the LOI if their own side wasn't playing? I'd watch any of them on TV though, barstooler that I am :p

* Was at Shels vs Kilmarnock in the UEFA Cup as a young lad and was given a Killie scarf by an away fan. Holy sh*t, I could've been a Shelbourne fan. Thank jaysis!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I was talking to a Premier League barstooler yesterday. He was initially dismissive of the LoI. I didn't make any issue of it. I just discussed about how half the current Irish team came through the LoI ranks and on how the FAI do little to promote the talent coming from the league and how they could possibly work with Irish international who've played in the LoI to do some promotional work for the league. The Premier League barstooler in fairness opened his eyes a bit after that, acknowledging talent has come from the league. I'd be of the view speaking about the league's positives than attacking people for having an eye on the global game is the best approach. It's a free world, to a degree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I've actually never been to a league game that didn't involve Bohs*. Would many on here go to a match on the LOI if their own side wasn't playing? I'd watch any of them on TV though, barstooler that I am :p

But, I doubt thats any different to any other country tbh big or small.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I've actually never been to a league game that didn't involve Bohs*. Would many on here go to a match on the LOI if their own side wasn't playing?

I do. Not regularly but maybe up to 5-6 times a season depending on how it goes. I went to three FAI Cup games over two days last year (I'm a Limerick fan now living/working in Mayo), went to Salthill-Shamrock Rovers on the Friday and both Glenview-Limerick and Longford-Pike Rovers on the Saturday. I was in in Inchicore when Pats beat Sligo to win the league last year as Limerick played in Bray earlier in the day. On the first day of the season I was at Salthill-Longford cos Limerick didn't play until later in the weekend. I was also at the last Salthill-Mervue game (don't remember the circumstances behind that one tbh). I am probably missing one or two others that I've just forgotten off the top of my head also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I was talking to a Premier League barstooler yesterday.

Why did you use a term like that? This thread is about improving the outlook of the LoI. Terms like that are not going to encourage new people to come and watch LoI football matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why did you use a term like that? This thread is about improving the outlook of the LoI. Terms like that are not going to encourage new people to come and watch LoI football matches.

I don't believe for a second they actively turn people off going either. 90% of us (maybe actually not that accurate a figure at all) are reformed barstoolers anyway. Who realistically plans their weekend based on somebody slagging them on the internet?

There is probably more of an argument that the lure of being a 'real fan' would be an attraction to some young people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Because they sit on a barstool watching the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

* Was at Shels vs Kilmarnock in the UEFA Cup as a young lad and was given a Killie scarf by an away fan. Holy sh*t, I could've been a Shelbourne fan. Thank jaysis!!!

When I lived in Dublin I went to few Shels, Bohs and St Pats games. I lived in Dublin 7 so was handy for those 3.

It would have to be a derby or maybe Derry or Sligo for me to go, but I go to few games for each of them along season.

Still not same as supporting my own team Cork though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

When I lived in Dublin I went to few Shels, Bohs and St Pats games. I lived in Dublin 7 so was handy for those 3.

It would have to be a derby or maybe Derry or Sligo for me to go, but I go to few games for each of them along season.

Still not same as supporting my own team Cork though.

How come Cork are getting the crowds in this season? What's changed as opposed to last year? Is it the change of manager or what? Brilliant crowds so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

monkey9 wrote: »
    How come Cork are getting the crowds in this season? What's changed as opposed to last year? Is it the change of manager or what? Brilliant crowds so far.

Change in mamager I say, along with a signing like Elding was going to help.

Plus I guess the club is bit more stable now.

Cork run from August to end of season last year I think got few back this season also.

Football is bit easier on the eye too.

All these small positives help to get those 500-1,000 that we might not have got previous seasons.

Will be interesting to see how long it lasts. Shams and Sligo beat us in the coming month and things might change.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Cork always get big crowds when they ae playing well or there is some sort of buzz about the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Speaking positively of the league and highlighting positives can improve the outlook of the league. On the term, I saw it as an appropriate description. I watch games in the pub myself. As I say, nothing wrong with keeping an eye on the global game.

Cork people more than any other county in my experience, will support a winning team to another level. If we get a good win against Athlone next Friday, we could see another 5000+ crowd at the Shamrock game the following week. If we dont win, we'll get in or around 3500 if lucky.

Its nothing to be ashamed of though. We have a good solid core of approx. 2 thousand who will turn up no matter what (give or take) as seen when we were in the 1st Division where we still had a better average than most Premier clubs.

Talking of Cork v Shamrock Rovers, what are the disabled facilities for away supporters like at The Cross?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Because they sit on a barstool watching the Premier League.

That's really unfairly inaccurate, to be honest.

They watch La Liga and Bundesliga as well.

• Advertisement

marwelie wrote: »
    Talking of Cork v Shamrock Rovers, what are the disabled facilities for away supporters like at The Cross?

I'm actually not sure, I'm sure if you emailed the club on info@corkcityfc.ie you will get a quick reply with the details.

Advertisement