Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to fix our league! - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

CSF wrote: »
    I don't believe for a second they actively turn people off going either. 90% of us (maybe actually not that accurate a figure at all) are reformed barstoolers anyway. Who realistically plans their weekend based on somebody slagging them on the internet?

There is probably more of an argument that the lure of being a 'real fan' would be an attraction to some young people.

I been going to LOI since I was 10, and when I was 20 I was a bit of a smarmy LOI fan, you know the type - looking down the nose at "barstoolers" etc. This despite the fact that I was more interested in Liverpool than I was CCFC for the majority of my life to that stage.

I am the complete opposite now, in that I am very dismissive toward the smarmy LOI fans. Obviously still suppotrt CCFC, but I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of barstooling. In fact, there are many positives to it.
    marwelie wrote: »
    Talking of Cork v Shamrock Rovers, what are the disabled facilities for away supporters like at The Cross?

I don't think there is actual designated away disabled facilities. I think, and am open to correction, that there is just one shared disabled section.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

gimmick wrote: »
    I been going to LOI since I was 10, and when I was 20 I was a bit of a smarmy LOI fan, you know the type - looking down the nose at "barstoolers" etc. This despite the fact that I was more interested in Liverpool than I was CCFC for the majority of my life to that stage.

I am the complete opposite now, in that I am very dismissive toward the smarmy LOI fans. Obviously still suppotrt CCFC, but I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of barstooling. In fact, there are many positives to it.

I don't think there is actual designated away disabled facilities. I think, and am open to correction, that there is just one shared disabled section.
    I look down my nose at people who don't look down their noses at barstoolers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

gimmick wrote: »

To be honest, I couldn't care less what people do at this stage but I've had my times where I got aggravated by it too so I can see where those people who are frustrated by it are coming from.

Also barstooling should not be used as a verb for watching football on the telly or pub. So much gets lost in the context there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Shamrock Rovers vs Liverpool announced for the Aviva Stadium on May 14th. Will this have any implications for the LOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Omackeral wrote: »
    Shamrock Rovers vs Liverpool announced for the Aviva Stadium on May 14th. Will this have any implications for the LOI?
    Yeah, they're cancelling it so Rovers have adequate preparation time.

No, seriously, it's hard to say. Rovers' fee for the game will likely be pretty modest but if they can make the most of the marketing opportunity and the game isn't a complete whitewash, it could boost attendances but I doubt it would extend to other clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I wonder if Croly would pick the B side for the game...

Supposedly Rovers have a section together rather than being spread out, which could be the major benefit of going to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

No, seriously, it's hard to say. Rovers' fee for the game will likely be pretty modest but if they can make the most of the marketing opportunity and the game isn't a complete whitewash, it could boost attendances...
    I really doubt it. The overwhelming majority of those in attendance will be there to see Liverpool and they won't be paying the slightest bit of attention to the opposition. And of course when Liverpool dish out the expected hiding, it will simply confirm that the LOI is (obviously) light-years behind the EPL and, therefore (applying the twisted logic of Irish football fans) not worthy of anyone's attention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It will be a team full of Kids from Liverpool.

It will be a team full of Kids from Liverpool.
    Probably, but they'll still sell the place out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

The game is kicking off at 5.30pm, on a Wednesday. 50,000 people trying to get into the Aviva at that time will be interesting. That's the same day as the Europa league final and three days after Liverpool's final game of the season. They could be coming over with the PL title. Either way, I'd imagine that it will be a Liverpool 'B' team, as most of their players will be getting set for the World Cup.

Is that a big pay day for Rovers, the FAI or some intermediate company staging the event/game?

• Advertisement

COYW wrote: »
    Is that a big pay day for Rovers, the FAI or some intermediate company staging the event/game?
    Little to do with the FAI I imagine. It's likely been organised by some third party. They know that the likes of Liverpool will sell a lot of seats in Ireland, regardless of the team they field. So, they don't have to pay top dollar to guarantee star names. They also know they'll sell plenty of seats, regardless of who the opposition is. So, they pay a relatively small fee to recruit an LOI side.

Net result: lots of profit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I would've imagined it's a bit like the Platinum One Madrid game where Rovers are being invited for whatever reason, rather than organising or getting a % from it.

Hopefully they'll get time to use the shower etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

In the big LOI news today, Limerick are after purchasing a large site in Bruff, Limerick as a home for the club. It'll include club offices, training centre and will incorporate the community aswell.

http://www.limerickfc.ie/superblues-new-home

Fantastic news for them, from a Cork City pov, it'll be great to have a consistent Premier club just an hour up the road, thats if they can build on this development. Now if Waterford could get their act together that would be three good solid Munster clubs in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

djpbarry wrote: »
    Little to do with the FAI I imagine. It's likely been organised by some third party. They know that the likes of Liverpool will sell a lot of seats in Ireland, regardless of the team they field. So, they don't have to pay top dollar to guarantee star names. They also know they'll sell plenty of seats, regardless of who the opposition is. So, they pay a relatively small fee to recruit an LOI side.

Net result: lots of profit.

Supposedly organised by the club directly with Liverpool. They both have the same kit sponsor. Think its a four team tournament. Kick off is 5.30 on a wednesday afternoon. Tickets are only 30quid.

1234052_10153924224085858_127849803_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Unless Liverpool are champions, who on earth in their right mind would pay 30 quid to see a friendly like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Unless Liverpool are champions, who on earth in their right mind would pay 30 quid to see a friendly like that.
    Scousers from every corner of Ireland will turn out to welcome their heroes home. They can sing songs about how much they hate manc scum and many other classics they don't really understand.

I have little doubt that the game will sell out. Every Liverpool fan I know is planning the day already and brining their kids along, as well. This game will attract more attention than any Irish international in the upcoming campaign, with the exception of England, if that game goes ahead now.

I am interested to see what Shamrock Rovers do to try and attract some new fans/match goers or positive attention from the fixture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What sort of team will actually be over for Liverpool? They must have a good few players going to the World Cup and their squad isn't exactly deep. Mignolet, Johnson, Gerrard, Lucas?, Henderson, Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho?, Suarez off the top of my head won't be there.

marwelie wrote: »
    Supposedly organised by the club directly with Liverpool. They both have the same kit sponsor. Think its a four team tournament. Kick off is 5.30 on a wednesday afternoon. Tickets are only 30quid.
    Only €30 ?!?
    Whether or not they're champions will have nothing to do with it, they'll still sell the place out. I think you're underestimating the mythical appeal of the EPL to the Irish public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's expensive enough but it's in the national stadium against an EPL team.

It's a friendly designed to hopefully generate revenue, not a heavily subsidized - no doubt loss-making - game like most FAI cup finals so comparing it to that or domestic games is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

It's not that long ago that a Liverpool selection of kids failed to sell out Jackman Park in Limerick (they failed to beat Limerick's mixture of senior and youth players too of course), let alone the Aviva. The very fact that the game is being held there I'd expect them to bring half a team of names at the very least.

It's not that long ago that a Liverpool selection of kids failed to sell out Jackman Park in Limerick...
    Yeah, but then there was this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

It's an FAI gig and most tickets will be gone by Monday.
    7000 tickets on sale through Rovers for the South Stand.

It's not that long ago that a Liverpool selection of kids failed to sell out Jackman Park in Limerick (they failed to beat Limerick's mixture of senior and youth players too of course), let alone the Aviva. The very fact that the game is being held there I'd expect them to bring half a team of names at the very least.

That's Limerick, Dublin is a different kettle of fish entirely, no disrespect meant to Limerick btw. Dublin based Liverpool fans won't travel down to Limerick for a game, en masse. Dublin is also reasonably accessible for Liverpool fans from N.I.

Liverpool XI, a bunch of youth team players, played in Dalymount a few years ago and the place was sold out, including that old uncovered stand opposite the main stand. Given Liverpool's current form, I would be amazed if this doesn't sell out.

Also, just checked there and €30 is very cheap for a Liverpool ticket, they charge £40-£52 for a match ticket at home.

So, Rovers have taken 7,000 tickets for the game. As I said, I am interested to see how they use this fixture to market themselves. They have a wonderful opportunity here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

So, Rovers have taken 7,000 tickets for the game. As I said, I am interested to see how they use this fixture to market themselves. They have a wonderful opportunity here.
    while it is advantageous for Shams i think its better for the league too rather than some LOI XI cobbled together a few days before the game, at least they will be used to playing together and can (hopefully) give a better account of LOI football in front what will probably be 3x the normal attendance at an entire round of league games.

Hopefully some LOI marketing at it too by the FAI, eg half time on the screens (like MNS's end of season video), ads for the league games running across the ad boards, a page or 2 for each club in the program notes. cheap cheerful but direct advertising to a target market

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

That's Limerick, Dublin is a different kettle of fish entirely, no disrespect meant to Limerick btw. Dublin based Liverpool fans won't travel down to Limerick for a game, en masse. Dublin is also reasonably accessible for Liverpool fans from N.I.

Liverpool XI, a bunch of youth team players, played in Dalymount a few years ago and the place was sold out, including that old uncovered stand opposite the main stand. Given Liverpool's current form, I would be amazed if this doesn't sell out.

No offence taken. There's some difference between selling out Dalymount and the Aviva though which is why I'd presume they'll send over a fairly strong squad from Liverpool (how motivated they'll be is another thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Interesting to see whether they play a strong team. Can see them not fielding some of their more senior players with so much football to come after it.

The likes of Mcphail and Mcguinness will probably be given the night off. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Interesting to see whether they play a strong team. Can see them not fielding some of their more senior players with so much football to come after it.

The likes of Mcphail and Mcguinness will probably be given the night off. ;)

End of season club friendlies is becoming a bit more of the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

http://www.corkcityfc.ie/home/2014/04/10/rebel-army-tv-match-highlights-available/

Fair play to Cork City for making an effort through YouTube to promote their games. They've interviews through a YouTube channel and also put up highlights of their games from Soccer Republic. Giving people the platform to see action from their games is surely a good way to advertise? Other clubs might want to take note.

• Advertisement

http://www.corkcityfc.ie/home/2014/04/10/rebel-army-tv-match-highlights-available/

Fair play to Cork City for making an effort through YouTube to promote their games. They've interviews through a YouTube channel and also put up highlights of their games from Soccer Republic. Giving people the platform to see action from their games is surely a good way to advertise? Other clubs might want to take note.

I used to live in Cork and they are the most impressive LoI club I have come across. The lack of public transport from Turner’s Cross back into Cork City centre was a joke though. It was quicker to walk home after the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Came across this testimony today. A piece or two like this in the right forums, blogs or newspapers could potentially encourage a handful of newbies.

Until last September I had no thoughts of going to a LOI game, I'd always considered myself a Bray fan but without anyone to go with me I'd never gone to a game since I played there at u12's level.

Then in September I moved to Drumcondra, with two LOI grounds on my doorstep I decided to try it out and went down to bohs. Everything I'd ever been told about LOI was wrong, people were awful welcoming, sound, not threatening at all, no 'thats our section/seat, what are you doing here', in fact I was asked to hold up a bohs banner during my first game, nobody knew any different.

From that I went to a few bohs and Pats games, never did I not feel welcome, even in taveys pub in inchicore with a full suit on, clearly standing out. People asked my story and when I told them I was just in from work they were just happy I gave Pats a go. I was there when Pats beat Dundalk and when they won the league, having been at Old Trafford for numerous big nights including Ronaldo's debut and Scholes putting United in the CL final I can honestly say the scenes at Richmond bettered those. Likewise at bohs I was more than welcome in the 'members' bar and enjoyed many a pint there.

My point? All my preconceived notions about LOI were wrong, it's good football with great fans for next to nothing, I wish i'd gone years ago. For all of you reading that have not gone for a while, go to one game, try it, the worst you'll lose is €15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Came across this testimony today. A piece or two like this in the right forums, blogs or newspapers could potentially encourage a handful of newbies.
    See, my problem with that is that it paints a ridiculously rosy picture. I mean, let's not pretend that there aren't little scumbags at LOI grounds who would only be delighted to take the piss out of a guy in a suit.

And I'd be the first to talk up the atmosphere at Richer (for example), but let's not go nuts. Better than Old Trafford on a big European night? Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

See, my problem with that is that it paints a ridiculously rosy picture. I mean, let's not pretend that there aren't little scumbags at LOI grounds who would only be delighted to take the piss out of a guy in a suit.

And I'd be the first to talk up the atmosphere at Richer (for example), but let's not go nuts. Better than Old Trafford on a big European night? Come on.

why the suit though? corporate ticket? lol:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I have never, ever seen anyone at a LoI ground have the piss taken out of them on the basis that they are wearing a suit.

You'd swearing wearing a suit actually had some sort of social standing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I think, the only guys, wearing a suit and are the subject of mockery, are those wearing a birth suit *lol* :D

Seriously, a guy wearing designer suits, can be as much of a scumbag, as a guy, wearing a tracksuit. It's always, what's inside

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I have never, ever seen anyone at a LoI ground have the piss taken out of them on the basis that they are wearing a suit.
    I remember going straight from work to a UCD-Pats match at Belfield a couple of years ago. A few youngish Pats fans started taking the piss because they thought I was a student and I was far too dressed up for a football match. There's obviously nothing wrong with a bit of banter, but this went way beyond that.

But anyway, my general point is that not everybody in attendance at a LOI game is going to tremendously warm and welcoming - it's silly to pretend otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"I'll never go to a LOI game because they made fun of my attire".

Excuse #8,293 as to why people don't attend LOI games.

But anyway, my general point is that not everybody in attendance at a LOI game is going to tremendously warm and welcoming - it's silly to pretend otherwise.

From my experience in both home and away games, I've never had an ounce of trouble, petty verbal abuse or otherwise.

Even if I did, I'd move away. It's not like there's a shortage of seats elsewhere in the stand.

There's a few lads who wear suits at Dalyer on a Friday night and nobody bats an eyelid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

That_Guy wrote: »
    "I'll never go to a LOI game because they made fun of my attire".

Excuse #8,293 as to why people don't attend LOI games.

A group of skangers were hostile towards him at a teams football match. Why on earth would you return? Skangers are very unpredictable when you don't know them. You don't have a clue what you're dealing with when the tracksuit brigade are being antagonistic.

You are really cheapening the persuasion to go to games.

The skanger issue is a major problem in terms of the LOI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The skanger issue is a major problem in terms of the LOI.

No, it's not.

That_Guy wrote: »
    From my experience in both home and away games, I've never had an ounce of trouble, petty verbal abuse or otherwise.
    Are we honestly going to pretend that there isn't a certain undesirable element among LOI fans?

Three arrested in clashes between Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Are we honestly going to pretend that there isn't a certain undesirable element among LOI fans?

Are we pretending that it's limited to LoI?

Do people who go to pubs to watch foreign football not encounter mouthy gobshítes wearing sports attire?

Do people who travel to England not encounter tracksuit wearing scrotes in the vicinity of football grounds there?

Does it put either set of people doing that activity?

why is the LoI different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

About a month ago I witnessed 2 lads having a scrap on Daunt Square in Cork at about half 2 on a Friday night, I'll be making sure I never pass through this area ever again, day or night.

Are we pretending that it's limited to LoI?
    No.
    Do people who go to pubs to watch foreign football not encounter mouthy gobshítes wearing sports attire?
    Probably.
    Do people who travel to England not encounter tracksuit wearing scrotes in the vicinity of football grounds there?
    Probably.
    Does it put either set of people doing that activity?
    ?
    why is the LoI different?
    I'm not saying it is. That's kind of my point.

CHealy wrote: »
    About a month ago I witnessed 2 lads having a scrap on Daunt Square in Cork at about half 2 on a Friday night, I'll be making sure I never pass through this area ever again, day or night.
    Good for you. Not sure what it has to do with the discussion at hand though.

I never said there wasn't. In every country you get idiots who only show up to the derby games to look for a scrap.

In all honesty, I've not seen one scrap take place either at Dalymount or over in Tallaght or the surrounding areas. That's not to say that I've not heard about them.

But you know, these sort of incidents happen every weekend in every country.

You'd see worse on a normal Friday/Saturday night around town and when you do, you avoid these idiots. Standard procedure really. If you look for trouble you'll eventually find it but it's easy to avoid/ignore.

I've been to Newcastle a number of times for the Tyne-Wear derby and I've seen worse trouble over there than I have going to games here. Obviously the number of people outweighs the volume of people here on match day but I've seen tempers flare even between supporters of the same club.

It's ridiculous.

The chances of you getting verbally abused at a LOI ground are slim in comparison to encountering a drunken yob in a pub wearing a Man United jersey giving dogs abuse to a Liverpool fan or vice versa. Still doesn't stop people from going back to the pub though does it?

All grounds have a policy in which all football supporters regardless of religion, race, sexual orientation etc are welcomed. If people have a problem with abuse directed at them or others, they're encouraged to notify the nearest steward.

If it's affecting your enjoyment of a game then why not? Why bother sitting there and take abuse for something you're wearing when you can do something immediately and have those little scrotes turfed out? You wouldn't do it in a pub if you fancied a few drinks. You'd tell the barman and they'd be turfed out. No difference at a LOI ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Non-League football right up to Premier League there's arrests in England every week, it's just swept out of the National eye by the FA. Always reported in the local media though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

That incident was organised and happened well away from the ground alot of the major incidents often do, this is the same in England, Scotland, Wales, etc

It doesn't stop Irish people going to games in England when the same carry on happens so why should it stop them from going LOI.

Non-League football right up to Premier League there's arrests in England every week...
    I know.

So what?
    major bill wrote: »
    That incident was organised and happened well away from the ground alot of the major incidents often do, this is the same in England, Scotland, Wales, etc

It doesn't stop Irish people going to games in England when the same carry on happens so why should it stop them from going LOI.
    Did I say it should?

• Advertisement
Advertisement