Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to fix our league! - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Last season I encountered three incidents of this behaviour. I do believe that the people involved may not have been at the game but still. One was at Dalymount on Phibsboro Road where I saw about 15 guys waiting down an alleyway looking for Dundalk fans to come out of the stadium after the match (I got in my car and moved away as quick as possible). These guys weren't even at the match as I saw them come up from the Porterhouse North direction.

Another was at a Dundalk v Shels match where I was waiting on my bus on the Drumcondra road after the game and either a Dundalk/Shels fan started lobbing stones up the street that hit and cracked the windshield of a car in traffic in front of me. There were plenty of gaurds about but it was impossible to see where the few stones came out of.

Third was at Oriel where a number of Shamrock Rovers fans were not allowed into the stadium by the Guards as they were too drunk. These fans instead of going home waited around. They pushed over bins in town while waiting for Dundalk fans. I was walking towards the town on my way home and the Rovers fans were starting to come up the street. Guards swiftly dealt with them though (not sure what happened as myself and a lot of others managed to get into a pub to wait it out until all was ok).

So while this doesn't deter me from going to games, I see why it would for others. These three incidents are just from last season (there are plenty more down through the years).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

djpbarry wrote: »
    Are we honestly going to pretend that there isn't a certain undesirable element among LOI fans?

Three arrested in clashes between Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers fans

There's all sorts of elements amongst fans of LOI. There's even GAA fans unfortunately.

I see no reason to bring up 'undesirable elements' by the author when the fans he met were welcoming and engaging. His encounter with fans had nothing to do with the likes of the above, so why would he mention it..perhaps rather than a rosy picture, he's painting a more 'realistic picture'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

dfx- wrote: »
    There's even GAA fans unfortunately.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Used to know a massive Dublin fan that went to all league and championship games. He also attended a certain LOI team (not mine btw) just to cause trouble with his mates. Has long been banned as far as I know. Point is, this element aren't exclusive to LOI grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just read this on another forum. It's from a few years ago but much of it remains relevant in my opinion. The person in question was responding to the idea that most fans are non regular match goers. While the poster does use some loaded words (disclaimer!), his basic point is that community is at the root of football teams the world over and should be no exception in our league. That community factor definitely could be something our clubs should focus on.

Originally Posted by *****

Anyways the whole arguement is a non runner.
    The whole basis of clubs is to represent their community, that is the core bedrock of the majority of the football world.
    The whole corporate entity that the likes of Merchandise United has created is an obsenity, it means that now it is acceptable to come from Beijing and support the local club of Manchester as its "footballing product" is superior.
    In that case if it is indeed acceptable and indeed considered only wise to do so then the only logical outcome of this globalisation process of the footballing world is that you will be left with a hand full of enormous mega clubs that provide the "footballing product" so craved after and then the weaker domestic leagues will wither away and die including the weaker clubs even in a strong league because it is deemed logical to support the super entities giving that "footballing product".
    A completely reprehensible reason for support teams that are not from your community and will only lead to the dissolution of domestic football as we know it.
    So do not even attempt to draw some moral equivilancey between barstoolers who are consumerist football "supporters" who wear a Chelsea jersey no different to how they wear an armani top, because the brand is good and LOI supporters who support their domestic and local clubs.
    We are football supporters, barstoolers are consumers.
    And if indeed you still do buy into the whole arguement that barstoolers are only seeking a "superior footballing experience" then do ask them why they dont support the Brazilian National Team instead of the ROI?
    A football club is the extension of its local community just as a National Team is the extension of the Nation, its black and white.
    So please do come up with some better barstooler drivel as to why they sing in English accents in Irish pubs to foreign teams whos real fans despise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

It's a good and fair question for people looking for a "superior footballing experience" across the water - why don't they support the Brazilian or Spanish National Teams instead of the ROI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have always been baffled by the anti-English feeling that permeates some Irish folk, yet they undying love for all things EPL.

I come from Derry and believe me, the vast majority of people I know have always wanted the England national team to fail miserably at everything they do. Derry folk, and Irish folk in general, are usually incredibly proud of the fact that they are Irish, especially when they are abroad. Add to this they are fanatical football fans, yet they show open dislike for all things Derry City.

Ask some of these EPL fanatics to go to the Brandywell to watch Derry City, and you would often get the reply "I wouldn't pay to watch that ****". I had the argument with some friends of mine who don't attend LoI games, and they started off by saying it was too expensive. When I asked them if they would go if it was free, some still said they wouldn't! Now if a guy who is really into football who lives in Derry will not go to his local team to watch live football even if it was costing him nothing, then it speaks volumes for their attitude. Of course the same folk would often appear when we reach the odd cup final, cos it gives them the chance to get a day out on the lash. They are occasion-seekers, and probably the reason so many support EPL teams, as the games give them the reason to head out to the pub for a day out.

Many of these folk might have attended one or two actual live games in England. LEt's be honest, its not like England is the other side of the world. If you were really a Liverpool or Utd fanatical fan, then with cheap flights and day trips, there is no reason why most people couldn't make it over at least once per season. But that would be too much effort. Easier to sit on a barstool and talk about 'us' as if you are from Manchester and own shares in the club.

The LoI is sadly fighting a losing battle. With the advent of highly-hyped sports now on TV etc people only want to be associated with the winning and sexy teams and leagues. Rugby in Ireland has gone this way too, with a new influx of 'occasion-seekers'. Would our province's stadia be as exciting and buzzing if the Irish teams were awful and languishing at the bottom of the leagues and winning nothing? A definite no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ask some of these EPL fanatics to go to the Brandywell to watch Derry City, and you would often get the reply "I wouldn't pay to watch that ****".
    Difficult to disagree with them this season, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

There's all sorts of elements amongst fans of LOI. There's even GAA fans unfortunately.

Fans of the GAA don't fight against themselves only referees:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Nice to see how welcoming you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

iDave wrote: »

Why does he need to be welcoming? The Man United and Liverpool threads are far more hostile than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

CSF wrote: »
    Why does he need to be welcoming? The Man United and Liverpool threads are far more hostile than this one.

Having such an attitude to people from GAA backrounds at LOI matches. How is cherry picking the type of person going to games gonna 'fix our league'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Having such an attitude to people from GAA backrounds at LOI matches. How is cherry picking the type of person going to games gonna 'fix our league'?

I think he might have been joking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That was kind of my point, everyone is welcomed in the LOI.

My argument was against cherrypicking (or 'undesirable elements' as djpbarry put it) - that all [or 99% of] fans are welcome.

It really doesn't matter once you're jumping over rows of seats beside me when celebrating a late winner at Richmond Dalymount, Turners' Cross or Tolka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ah ffs come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

CSF wrote: »
    I think he might have been joking.
    It's turning to some amount of ****e when you can't even make a harmless joke without being accused of running people out of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

You hang around the LOI threads waiting to be offended at somebody dissing the Gah and just when you think you've nailed one, they're in jest.

Hard old station eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 madman100

"good schoolboy leagues that really should have no problem sustaining a LOI club" ....
    Have you any clue as to how expensive it is to run a LOI club. Even down to simple stuff like away day travel, overnight travel (if required), maintenance of pitches and ground, PI insurance, laundry, players meals etc, etc....

I am involved in helping out at one of the big Dublin LOI clubs (only in a small way) but it costs literally 1-2€ million per year to keep them barely alive.

As far as coaching is concerned all LOI coaches must be qualified to PRO level. AFAIK..

The real problem is the Oirish public. They have no interest. They are only into the EPL and that will never change. I have been to many EPL games and there is little or no atmosphere by comparison to a proper LOI Dublin derby. I fear they will never become interested because the irish (contrary to their "best fans in the world" claims) actually aren't that interested in football at all. The majority are nothing more than event junkies who are as happy attending a red bull karting corporate event as they would be a football match.

They will never extract their gargantuan asses out of their armchairs and attend real football on any kind of regular basis.

However, I do feel that with some form of sponsorship and good marketing, crowds could deffo be improved upon. Investment needs to be put into grounds. Clubs need to offer a full football experience to families. Kids are the future and must be coaxed away from Xboxes etc to come down to their local club on a friday night. Maybe if a deal could be done between govt and FAI whereby businesses could be allowed certain tax incentives for investment in Irish clubs, who knows.

This whole question deserves huge discussion by clubs, authorities and fans alike. It won't change overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Now before I say this I know it's going to be unpopular and it's not my preference either but Irish people are brought up on local rivalries. To many people in rural Ireland loi football is just something that city " folk " are interested in. I know from being involved with Kilkenny city that the Kilkenny public in general had little or no interest in their team. Why?? It's because the team was usually lads from Dublin or Waterford or tipp playing for Kilkenny for a season or two before moving on.

If the fai are serious about their league they have to create a pathway from schoolboy football to senior football. Taking Kilkenny again, there are some quality players around the city, that never get a chance. I believe it should start from Kennedy cup age. All players should play with a county team up through the ranks, in conjunction with education opportunities. Oscar traynor teams at junior level from leagues should be under twenty one and be entered in fai senior cup and league cups. As much as I hate to admit it rural Ireland is all about local Gaa style parish bull**** and if Kilkenny played tipp in an fai cup game with a percentage of top local youngsters in years to come, attendance would rise.

Failing that, one league is a quick fix, at least give the struggling clubs a few glamour fixtures each season.

Also, I'm not suggesting getting rid of current clubs with great histories or haveing one Dublin county club , I'm just talking about trying to grow the game in Gaa and rural strongholds which like it or not, has to be done if we are to have a sustainable professional league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Set up a team in every county in Ireland. Have provincial championships and an All-Ireland. Keep all the Dublin teams and the other teams that exist right now so as not to cause a major controversy.

Basically take heed of the success of GAA in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

eagle eye wrote: »
    Set up a team in every county in Ireland. Have provincial championships and an All-Ireland. Keep all the Dublin teams and the other teams that exist right now so as not to cause a major controversy.

A team in every county just will not work. Some counties like Leitrim or Cavan just wouldnt have enough interest to support teams. Most of the recent teams who dropped out were county teams like Monaghan United, Kildare County and Kilkenny City.

An All-Ireland competiton (Setanta Cup) exists and is poorly supported. Also with two different federations (FAI and IFA) on the island a full All-Ireland Competition like the GAA would be almost impossible to set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

eagle eye wrote: »

It's basically the Oscar Traynor Trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ok there are two fairly successful examples in the country with the GAA and IRFU models. Personally I think the IRFU model might be worth exploring but realistically that can't work with just the FAI doing it alone.

Ideally working in tandem with the IFA, WFA and SFA, a football version of the Pro12 could be established. Regionalising teams into a 12 team division but maintaining the existing leagues as a tier below the top 12.

Potential pros:
    It will keep players at home
    Regionalised teams would have the potential to punch above their weight in Europe
    The existing leagues are maintained so fans of the clubs aren't alienated
    Potentially higher match attendances

Potential cons:
    It will be a tough sell to UEFA/FIFA
    It could kill off the existing leagues (see the AIL in rugby for an example)
    Regionalism might not take off (see the Welsh rugby region teams for an example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

To help the league progress and grow the fai need to back the league with cold hard cash . They really need to help all the teams have 15 to 16 full time players . It's not a bad league at all but the clubs need major help financially .
    Teams also need the fai to help them when it comes to selling players . 150k for Kevin Doyle and something along those lines for seamus Coleman . Teams here need to be helped with getting good prices for the talent on offer .

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Improve the grounds to a decent standard, look at League 2 grounds like Burton Albions one for example. That plus marketing, marketing and more marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

It all boils down to money. And in the case of LOI clubs the general lack there of. Stadiums cannot be upgraded without it and teams cant maintain decent squads without it either. This is of course makes it harder to attract more fans which in turn makes it harder to generate the money required to make the necessary improvements.

A seemingly never ending vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Jayob10 wrote: »
    First off I want this to be a serious thread with real ideas from real LOI fans. Don't want to see EPL fans post and add riveting ideas like "nowt can be done its crap"

You can guarantee that clubs will more than likely receive patched up licences again before the new season starts next year. Only to find themselves on the brink again half way into the season.

So if you were to find yourself in the position where you could decide what to do with the league of Ireland what would you do? How would you change things? be it on the field, in the media from a marketing perspective or whatever.

Whatever ideas you have let us know.

Heres my 2 cents worth.

We have far too many clubs. Amalgamating certain clubs obviously is not an option due to rivalries etc. However we do have some big towns with good schoolboy leagues that really should have no problem sustaining a LOI club.

1) We need qualified coaches at all levels from u-10 up to senior. If you are not qualified with the minimum UEFA licence then you ain't coaching a team. Fair enough it may take away the community feel for things but its about standards. I'm sure everyone has stories of coaches when they were that age who had not got a clue.
    With the amount of people out of work now also surely some money can be put aside by the FAI to finance or part finance these courses for people with an interest. Incentives should also be there to go as far as possible in relation to coaching badges.

2) A national centre of excellence also needs to be set up. The best players from the 4 corners of Ireland need to be brought together from the age of 14 upwards for sessions throughout the year. Encourage youngsters to stay in Ireland and work their way into the new improved league. Regional teams should also compete in an all ireland cup competition once a year giving players a sense of pride of where they come from also.

3) Like Major league soccer in the US, i'd like to see a central contracting system in the LOI. All players in the LOI would be under contract to the FAI. Players wages would be paid by the FAI with clubs effectively run by the association with all revenue the clubs make being put back into the association. Let this be the way forward for the forseeable future until the profile of the domestic game rises and crowds start coming back in their droves. And maybe when clubs show signs of being able to stand on their own 2 feet then they can manage some of their own affairs.

4) Tie more of the clubs in with Colleges, I.T's and Universities. Like UCD, offer good players the chance to stay at home, study and play for their LOI side.
    Alot of the clubs in the premier and first division have a corresponding third level facility within their town or county. give these players a sense of professionalism that makes them feel important by way of facilities that alot of the third level colleges can provide.

5) Finally and probably most controversialy, relax the work permit requirements in relation to sporting potential and achievement. Attract some of the worlds most talented kids/teenagers with scholarships in our universities. This is a very grey area, and I do understand some of the best in the world won;t have english or even an interest in education at that. However even if we are choosing from the second tier of talent in that respect, well at least we are still attracting outside talent that will make our domestic game more rounded. It can only help our domestic talent by playing with those from another playing culture altogether.

Overall I feel that this would give us somewhat of a better hotbed of irish talent. And knowing that the cream of irish talent was playing and playing regular first team football in Ireland having had top class coaching from a young age along with talented foreign nationals, would have the scouts flocking. And this could also net the FAI and windfall when the time comes for some players to move abroad. And encouraged to move further afield than the UK in some instances.

My views are somewhat rough around the edges as you can probably tell. But its a start.
    Tell me what your own plans would be.

Just on some of your points, and I'm only saying this because you probably don't know but you need coaching badges to be anywhere near coaching with loi teams,the underage teams I'm talkin about. Its the normal schoolboy teams who just get in who ever will do it and not worry about badges so that should be an fai inictive not loi. I know from a lot of the schoolboy leagues down the country they will usually have one coach involved and get hi,/her to go around to various clubs and give a session every now and again but its not enough. I know my own da has all his badges and has been involved with the schoolboy league where I'm from for a while,but only did his badges a few years ago. Since getting them he has started develpment squads at underage levels while still being involved with our loi side at underage,he set up a lik between the two by being close with the chairmen of both, and this has resulted in no international underage players 10 years ago to 3 in the past few years. It does not happen overnight and this is why a lot of people don't bother, because its monumental effort, which is sad!

Secondly I think every loi club with a local uni or I.T has a link set up at this stage, certainly the ones who don't are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

It all boils down to money.

No it doesn't. Money helps, but look at what Uruguay have been able to do considering they have a smaller population than us and a GDP per capita less than a third of ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I wonder about this 'better stadiums' stance. Limerick FC are playing in Thomond Park, a pristine and modern stadium that has held internationals and would rival many an EPL ground yet when I was there for the FAI Cup match last month, they had about 700 people there supporting them.

For what it's worth, I reckon social media is their best tool right now. Everyone is on either twitter or Facebook, use them to their fullest capacities. Send out invitations to games via those outlets. It's free!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

No it doesn't. Money helps, but look at what Uruguay have been able to do considering they have a smaller population than us and a GDP per capita less than a third of ours.

Interesting comparison. What would the level of investment in soccer in Uruguay be compared to Ireland?

I'm assuming soccer is their national sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

First and foremost.

ADVERTISING.

Social media is a part of daily life and takes little time and no money to promote games.

The FAI have a huge following on Twitter/Facebook and it needs to come from them. In fairness to them, they've started advertising games on their Facebook page but it's not enough. They need to get a LOI fan to update their statuses and essentially shove it down people's throats.

Link in with extratime.ie or the LOI Blog and continuously stick up stats/scorers/results from games that have just taken place.

One status a week won't work. Need to keep it in people's minds.

Even at half time during an international game announce the games via PA or have them up on the screen that's in the AVIVA.

Maybe link in with clubs and give say a reduced ticket on presentation of an Ireland ticket for people going with their kids. Kids need to be the target audience. They're the ones who'll be attending games in the future so getting them in and keeping them there is crucial.

The Premier League Twitter page is brilliant. Retweeting quotes, fixtures, stats and the like constantly and building each fixture up to the point that I'd actually want to sit down and watch a game I had no interest in.

Again, shoving it down people's throats, keeping it in people's minds is the primary focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The big 2 in Uruguay average over 20k fans a game, which gives them money to develop players to compete in the group stages of the copa libertadores. Which pays them almost $1,000,000 each year.

There's no comparison to be made between Ireland and Uruguay just because we have small populations. A much larger percentage of their population attends games which is the only important stat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Setup County Teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I agree with linking up the IOT's/Uni's with clubs although this already happens a lot with clubs. I would like to see it become more official with scholarships becoming involved.

I seen a programme the other day about young Irish lads going to England to try and 'make it'. I didn't see the end of it but one family was considering letting their child drop out if school at 16 go to the Burnley academy. What sort of parents would let their child drop out of school at 16 to go to Burnley ffs??? He hadn't even completed his junior cert yet.

Stuff like that would really stunt their mental development. A lot of Irish and British footballers suffer greatly from the lack of system. They never grow up, they never appreciate the importance of learning, how to problem solve, how to take responsibility or how to discover how and why things happen.

Lads dropping out of school at 16 and then spending their careers with similar folk will never help them in terms of their mental development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

madman100 wrote: »
    The real problem is the Oirish public. They have no interest. They are only into the EPL and that will never change. I have been to many EPL games and there is little or no atmosphere by comparison to a proper LOI Dublin derby. I fear they will never become interested because the irish (contrary to their "best fans in the world" claims) actually aren't that interested in football at all. The majority are nothing more than event junkies who are as happy attending a red bull karting corporate event as they would be a football match.

They will never extract their gargantuan asses out of their armchairs and attend real football on any kind of regular basis.

So basically what you are saying is that it is everybody elses fault? Stupid people just won't buy your exceptional product? If only they were real football supporters like you!

40k people turned up at the Aviva to watch a 3rd (4th?) string Liverpool team. Huge numbers or people regularly make the trip to the UK to watch Utd. Liverpool, Celtic etc.

Have you seen the crowds at GAA intercounty matches? Plenty of people who seem capable of extracting their gaurgantuan asses out of their armchairs.

Maybe, just maybe, it's because people don't think the product of ther LOI is worth the time they would need to invest. Maybe people are fed up hearing about supporters of Rovers and Bohs chanting at each other. Maybe people are tired of people like you blaming the woes of the LOI on everybody but the FAI and themselves.

I don't know the answers, but I sure as hell know that an attitude like your's is not going to help.

As for the OP, I think the centralised contract route is the way to go. The main problem is that I don't think many people would have faith in the FAI to actually do it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What's wrong with rival fans chanting at each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oat23 wrote: »
    The big 2 in Uruguay average over 20k fans a game, which gives them money to develop players to compete in the group stages of the copa libertadores. Which pays them almost $1,000,000 each year.

There's no comparison to be made between Ireland and Uruguay just because we have small populations. A much larger percentage of their population attends games which is the only important stat.

Football is the number one sport in Uruguay which is also important to remember

What's wrong with rival fans chanting at each other?

Nothing, but on some occasions it boils over and doesn't help the family atmosphere. I'm not talking about the usual slagging and songs, but sometimes it can go overboard and even be brought onto the bus/luas or whatever.

LOI should take heed of the lessons learned in England ( and elsewhere I guess) and do everything possible to make it a family event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Disband it. Regionalise it and try set up a Celtic league style thing with Wales and Scotland.

Pretty sure nobody has ever suggested that before.

I cannot see anyone objecting to it. Certainly not long standing LOI season ticket holders and fans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Nothing, but on some occasions it boils over and doesn't help the family atmosphere. I'm not talking about the usual slagging and songs, but sometimes it can go overboard and even be brought onto the bus/luas or whatever.

LOI should take heed of the lessons learned in England ( and elsewhere I guess) and do everything possible to make it a family event.

I take it you haven't been to many games in England (or anywhere) so? I've been to lots of games abroad and the only games I've attended where fans weren't chanting provocative and explicit chants at each other was the MLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Irish people will only go to LOI in significanT numbers if it INSTANTLY became like the English leagues. They are not prepared to support it to allow it grow.

I take it you haven't been to many games in England (or anywhere) so? I've been to lots of games abroad and the only games I've attended where fans weren't chanting provocative and explicit chants at each other was the MLS.

Right, so no point trying to be better. Its worked in MLS where they started from nothing, in fact there was a negative attitude to soccer. But they have set up their league to deliver what their customers want, not what history says it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Right, so no point trying to be better. Its worked in MLS where they started from nothing, in fact there was a negative attitude to soccer. But they have set up their league to deliver what their customers want, not what history says it should be.

Despite what you think, a huge majority of LOI matches are family friendly. Any league in the world has atmospheres that 'boil over'. Having being going to LOI matches for 16 years, I never ever considered the league to have a problem in that regard, because it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

gimmick wrote: »
    Disband it. Regionalise it and try set up a Celtic league style thing with Wales and Scotland.

Pretty sure nobody has ever suggested that before.

I cannot see anyone objecting to it. Certainly not long standing LOI season ticket holders and fans.

That will only happen as part of a wider re alignment of European football.

Its inevitable and when it does happen it will be the only game in town, if you'll excuse the pun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Soccer is the number one sport in Ireland btw. So that's moot.

Yeah, the number one played sport, which includes 5-a-side games etc. it is not the number one followed sport in Ireland, if it was, the attendances would be well up. So very much not a moot point.

Clubs need to advertise/market their games, FAI should do all they can to help them promote it. Hell, reduce the registration fee, it is outrageously high. That needs to be the starting point, before upgrading facilities can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I suppose the question is: what outcome are you looking for?

If the answer is: get big crowds, get people to be fans of Irish clubs rather than British clubs, then there is only one possible solution in my book.....

Follow the rugby route:

Have 3 clubs in Ireland - one in Dublin, one in Cork, one in Belfast - that play in some sort of Celtic League that includes Rangers and Celtic.....and have clubs that are capable of qualifying for the Champions League.

You can have a League of ireland structure below that, which are feeders.

That is the only way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Soccer is the number one sport in Ireland btw. So that's moot.

How do you make that out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    How do you make that out?

In the most recent study, Soccer was the most popular participatory team sport in the country. Outnumbering Gaelic Football & Hurling Combined. Obviously outnumbering rugby too.

Now, you can take that as a fact, it's been discussed on this forum often enough, or you can try to argue against it, but you'll be proved wrong when someone is arsed to post a link to the study.

Actually, here it is - ESRI Study - PDF File linked
    Soccer, which is played by 17 per cent of adult males and some 2 per
    cent of females, is the most widely played team game among adults
    in Ireland
    Gaelic football, the most popular of the GAA games, is played by
    8 per cent of male adults and at that is the fourth most commonly
    played sport among males in Ireland (after golf, soccer and
    swimming) (Fahey et al. 2004, p. 22). Hurling is played by 5 per cent
    (ibid.) Gaelic football and hurling together have a share of the adult
    male playing population somewhat less than that of soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I suppose the question is: what outcome are you looking for?

If the answer is: get big crowds, get people to be fans of Irish clubs rather than British clubs, then there is only one possible solution in my book.....

Follow the rugby route:

Have 3 clubs in Ireland - one in Dublin, one in Cork, one in Belfast - that play in some sort of Celtic League that includes Rangers and Celtic.....and have clubs that are capable of qualifying for the Champions League.

You can have a League of ireland structure below that, which are feeders.

That is the only way.

That can only be done with an overall realignment of leagues throughout Europe.
    No leagues can make such a move unilaterally.
    In the most recent study, Soccer was the most popular participatory team sport in the country. Outnumbering Gaelic Football & Hurling Combined. Obviously outnumbering rugby too.

Now, you can take that as a fact, it's been discussed on this forum often enough, or you can try to argue against it, but you'll be proved wrong when someone is arsed to post a link to the study.

Actually, here it is - ESRI Study - PDF File linked
    All of the above is true, and I’d also add that soccer is the most ‘consumed’ sport in Ireland, i.e media, merchandise etc.
    Just look at how many more posts this form has compared to the GAA or Rugby form.

But at the end of the day the LOI is not at the top of the list of that consumption, and it will never be as long as you have the huge entity that is English soccer next door.

People have to decide what level the LOI realistically can maintain
    Is it every team getting consistent crowds of 10k + ?
    Is it every club being financially sound?
    Is it Champions’ league group stages?
    Is it Europa knock out stages ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement