Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow man James Nolan MISSING in Poland since Saturday

• 19-06-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it's been mentioned but theirs a 21 year old missing in Poland at the euros since saterday, he was with a group of 14 lads and police have gone through 15 hours of footage yet can not locate the lad,I don't have a link(damn iPhone)
    Now I know when theirs a group a lads like that people tend to wonder off here and there and not turn up until a day or 2 afterwards but the police seem fairly worried about his whereabouts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

hopefully he is off having the time of his life with some polish girl, his parents must be going out of their minds

fingers crossed for a happy ending to this story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭pcardin

davet82 wrote: »
    hopefully he is off having the time of his life with some polish girl

apologies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

pcardin wrote: »
    hopefully he is off having the time of his life with some polish girl

or some polish guy. :rolleyes:

Jesus.....there's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

i saw this over on the journal, the amount of 'red thumbs down' is very strange, why would they do that? sad. i hope he's found safe and well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Just checked The Journal there, you're right it's very odd altogether. Even innocuous posts like "hope he's ok, everyone should share this article and get it coverage" got red thumbed.

Doesn't sound good for the chap, but really hope he does turn up safe and sound. Although he'll have hysterical parents to answer to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Some little blue-eyed blonde girl has gone missing in Portugal. Her parents are two English doctors. Her name is Madeleine. I'm sure it will be in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

snubbleste wrote: »
    Some little blue-eyed blonde girl has gone missing in Portugal. Her parents are two English doctors. Her name is Madeleine. I'm sure it will be in the media.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

or some polish guy. :rolleyes:
    Just checked The Journal there, you're right it's very odd altogether. Even innocuous posts like "hope he's ok, everyone should share this article and get it coverage" got red thumbed.

not so odd, look at the above posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

WTF is this ****?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

CL7 wrote: »
    WTF is this ****?
    People go missing every day at home and abroad, yet somehow only a very select few get attention in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

People go missing every day at home and abroad, yet somehow only a very select few get attention in the media.

talking through your hoop. most irish missing persons, if there is a concern about their welfare, get covered in the press here. your point about madeline mccann is idiotic and insensitive. it's proper order there's big coverage of this, as there were a lot of irish people in the town where he disappeared and somebody may see his picture or hear his description and realise they saw something which didn't seem important at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

"Irish ambassador to Poland, Eugene Hutchinson, is en route to the town where James disappeared to work with the Polish authorities and meet with the missing man's friends"
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/06/19/euro-2012-search-for-miss_n_1608128.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

"His father has made a further appeal for help in finding him. He spoke with Lunchtime here on Newstalk."
    http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/featured-5-slideshow-homepage/father-of-missing-soccer-fan-please-help-find-my-son/

"A search of a nearby river is done for today. Will recommence tomorrow"
    http://bydgoszcz.gazeta.pl/bydgoszcz/51,48722,11969829.html?i=4

He was last seen in PRL pub (PRL= Peoples Republic of Poland, communism-styled pub) drinking Mint Zolodkowa Vodka with his mates.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wódka_Żołądkowa_Gorzka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Hopefully he turns up ok and everything works out OK. His parents must be sick with worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

See Darren Harrison's comment there:
    We came across a disorientated young Irish guy late Sunday night on the Warsaw to Berlin train that looks quite similar to photo above. We boarded the train in Poznan at 8.31pm berlin bound. Just before crossing the German border a the guy in question came into our carriage and asked what the next station was. He smelt quite bad, as if he’d slept rough. He also asked if the train was going to Berlin. He then sat down in the seat in front of me for about 3 minutes before getting up and moving to another carriage. My friend has rang the Irish embassy in Poland with this information.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/appeal-for-irish-fan-missing-in-poland-since-saturday-491433-Jun2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

That's what I thought. I'm pretty sure the boy's family appreciate the coverage the story is getting. Anything that might help them find their son. Would you rather the media ignore the story just in case some fine people like yourself get their noses bent out of shape?

not so odd, look at the above posts

Where were you when sense of humor was walking around the houses visiting people? It missed you somehow. :mad:

Maybe I did my sarcastic comment as I do believe that chap will turn back home safe and unharmed and that he really was partying somewhere. You seemed to put him in the grave already? :mad:

It's a serious matter, there's every chance the guy's mates/family members will read this thread. Have a bit of cop-on and decency.

It's rare that something like this would happen, and by getting the word out before people head home from Poland it might get a resolution faster. It's well known that the first few days (even 24hours) in a missing person's case are the most crucial-the chances of them showing up alive and unharmed diminish after that.

Exactly! There was some Polish lad killed in Dun Laoghaire last week - basically had his head chopped off by idiot truck driver. was it even mentioned here?

As I said previously, I really believe the guy will come home safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Exactly! There was some Polish lad killed in Dun Laoghaire last week - basically had his head chopped off by idiot truck driver. was it even mentioned here?

Why would it be? This is about a missing person and there's just no parallels between that and a tragic accident.

another 'funny' post, you're on fire today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Similar thread running over in the soccer forum incase anyone has seen him on their travels. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056675521

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

These things can happen sometimes, people get drunk and end up going off with different crowds etc, he might have lost his phone and become completely disorientated.

I hope that this is the case, the report of the guy on the train from Poznan to Berlin sounds like a promising lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

His father was talking on the radio earlier, he said it was totally out of character for his son not to get in contact and that he was a lad that was never in trouble or looked for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The amount of coverage a missing person gets correlates with the initial reporting of it - not because some people are deemed more important than others. Media outlets/people can't be blamed for not knowing about stuff. The McCann case - again, her parents have the means to create awareness, which not everyone has. And it's hardly unreasonable of them to use it.
    I don't see anything particularly wrong with post #4 but the sneery emoticon seems misplaced, maybe that's what has annoyed people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,200 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

when someone goes missing you have limited time to get the word out to as many people as possible. In this case everyone is on the ball, giving him the best chance of being found. It's not the media driving this, it's friends, family, townspeople and football fans. What an idiotic statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

gavredking wrote: »
    Similar thread running over in the soccer forum incase anyone has seen him on their travels. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056675521

Thanks for the link.

Im going slightly off topic here but I just want to say this. I've heard it mentioned plenty of times by regular users of After Hours that sports threads are generally not allowed in AH because they usually attract the wrong sort of people.

I would urge everyone here to read the thread about this missing man over on the soccer forum. Everyone helping, offering suggestions. No stupid comments. No "thanks whoring". The folks over in that forum should be proud of themselves. Many in AH should feel pretty embarrassed.

Anyways, hopefully the guy is found safe and well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The thread on Soccer is dead. Better to keep the after hours one going and hope nothing stupid is said. Most people can't post in soccer so don't bother reading the whole forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Can this thread be stickied and put as an announcement please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

shizz wrote: »
    Can this thread be stickied and put as an announcement please?

I'd also suggest editing the title. Maybe add **MISSING** to the start of it. This would make the thread more likely to catch people's attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

jayzz...are you as depressive in your life as you sound here? :confused:
    jayzz...are you as depressive stupid in your life as you sound here? :confused:

The two of you, grow up and don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Jes*s Christ some posters here are just unbelievable.

Why would people start taking the pis* out of a thread about a missing person. The fact of the matter is that there's an Irish fan missing in Poland.

Get a life and grow up.

If you don't have anything helpful to say then don't bother your ars* saying anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Just want to knock this back up until Mod's decide what to do with it. PLEASE STICKY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This thread is vile. Hope hes found sound and well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Hope to god he's found ok, I cant imagine the worry his family are going through.. Hopefully he just got lost and finds his way back. Thoughts are with his family at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I hope he is found safe and well. My thoughts are with his family who must must be worried sick about him. Ever family's worst nightmare, a child going missing like this.
    His friends must be distraught out there looking for him in a strange country.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭frozenbanana

It's well known that the first few days (even 24hours) in a missing person's case are the most crucial-the chances of them showing up alive and unharmed diminish after that.

Not really true, you're thinking of catching TV murderers.

Anyway, I hope this fella turns up ok with nothing more than a hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Hope he's found soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Terribly sad story ...I hope he's found safe and well soon .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Good to see it get lots of coverage. At the moment the top 2 'most popular' articles on rte are about him.

It must make it worse for his family that he disappeared so far away. Really hope he turns up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Why do people need to be so tasteless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Thats a sad news - I keep fingers crossed that he will be found alive!

I just would like to assure you that Polish people do what they can to find him. With the help of other Irish fans in Poland lot leaflets have been left in many cities like Bydgoszcz, Gdansk, Warszawa, Poznan. Polish media put lot of attention to this sad news and james picture was on all news on the TV. It made also top story in the biggest online news portals. I know that there are few accounts setup already in English on Facebook/ Twitter, etc , but also Polish people setup few profiles for James to spread the words.

So far I know that a river going through Bydgoszcz was scanned by firefighters ( cameras) and scuba divers- thanks God he was not found there.
    Unofficial information is that Police got the city centre monitoring videos and he was seen walking alone at 1:45am through city centre, and nobody folllowed him.

I'd like to help, but not sure how, so maybe if you have any idea and if I could help maybe with translation to Polish send me a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

That's a sad story...hope he's found safe and sound.

Afew of the news reports were slightly off. Bydgoszcz is actually the 8th biggest city. It's about 2/3 the size of Dublin so it is totally possible that he got separated from his friends there and couldn't find them. If he assumed they had left for Poznan without him it is likely that he jumped on a train to Poznan. After that they were looking for him in the wrong city.

The story about the train to Berlin is strange because he would have been asked for his ticket several times on the train so he would have known he was going to Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

POLISH TV reported today that a body was found in the Brda river in Bydgoszcz where Irish fan James Nolan was last seen in the early hours of Sunday morning.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/body-found-in-polish-river-where-missing-fan-last-seen-3144785.html

http://www.tvn24.pl/w-rzece-w-bydgoszczy-znaleziono-cialo-sprawdzaja-czy-to-poszukiwany-irlandczyk,259500,s.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

That's heartbreaking, especially if it's him, just heard it on the radio now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Terrible news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

So sad for his family and I know it's no consolation but it's good to have news good or bad.

If it is him at least they found the body. If he was in the river and they spent weeks searching every town and city in Poland and got nothing it would be even worse.

Terrible news for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement