Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostat Max Load

Options
  • 19-06-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

My digital temp controller (thermostat) has a max load rating of 2.4Kw, 10 amp.

The oil filled radiator I have is 1.5Kw, 13 amp. I don't know much about electrics but I think that means the most amps used is 1500Kw/220v=6.8.

Would this be ok ? Or is the fuse too much ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The 13a fuse is there mainly to protect the cable.

Your calculation is correct, your device will pull approx 7A as per your calc, so is within the ratting of the thermostat.

Btw the fuse does not set the current drawn by the heater, it simply stops power to the device if 13A or more flows for a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

The 13a fuse is there mainly to protect the cable.

Your calculation is correct, your device will pull approx 7A as per your calc, so is within the ratting of the thermostat.

Btw the fuse does not set the current drawn by the heater, it simply stops power to the device if 13A or more flows for a period of time.

This is what I thought. Thanks for clearing up.

Advertisement