Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

difference between credit unions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sallywin

i suggest you visit creditunion.ie and read up on the history of the organisation. ireland would be lost without them.

Like I said I'm a member of one in a long time but I didn't know that 1/ Any group could have set one up and 2/ That is no longer the case.

Viva la Financial Regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

sallywin wrote: »
    Cheers for that info Anyone. I was almost led to believe that it was available to any group! And imagine my audacity in questioning the fairness of the system, oh deary me indeed. So the benefit in kind stands. Lovely dovely.

There is no benefit in kind. The benefit arises from the particular group of employees getting together and working cooperatively. This option was available to any group of employees, and indeed is still available to area-based credit unions and other CUs.

@Anyone, would you know when the Financial Regulator ruled that new credit unions cannot be set up? And if it wasn't a ruling as such is it deemed as 'policy'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

@Anyone, would you know when the Financial Regulator ruled that new credit unions cannot be set up? And if it wasn't a ruling as such is it deemed as 'policy'?

Its not a ruling, they will just make it impossible to form one. The regulations there right now and coming would make it impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

@salllywin - you're jumping around all over the place - what exactly is your issue? The Credit Unions, The Public Sector or the Financial regulator????? :confused:

• Advertisement

@salllywin - you're jumping around all over the place - what exactly is your issue? The Credit Unions, The Public Sector or the Financial regulator????? :confused:

Fairness.

What's your own view on the public sector- not just front line staff?
    What's your own view on the new regulations the FR has put in place regarding the creation of new credit unions?

Fairness.
    And what specifically is unfair about a group of employees who have a whole range of working conditions and entitlements (including fixed term contracts, part time contracts, shift workers, casual workers) coming together in a cooperative manner to share their resources for the benefit of the group?

One might wonder why, if this model is so unfair, there wasn't a mad rush to set up the Microsoft credit union and the Intel credit union and the Pfizer credit union during the good times?

And what specifically is unfair about a group of employees who have a whole range of working conditions and entitlements (including fixed term contracts, part time contracts, shift workers, casual workers) coming together in a cooperative manner to share their resources for the benefit of the group?

One might wonder why, if this model is so unfair, there wasn't a mad rush to set up the Microsoft credit union and the Intel credit union and the Pfizer credit union during the good times?

Do you think it's fair that private sector workers, say in IT industry, who have just graduated. set up their own companies, for example, and want their own credit union just like the post office workers, can't actually have one, and yet their tax revenue is providing the job security for the public sector workers who do enjoy their own credit union?

I've yet to hear Marquis', and your, actual views on public sector (outside of front line staff) and on the FR regulations for new credit unions.

Abair amach é.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Marquis de carabas

I've yet to hear Marquis', and your, actual views on public sector (outside of front line staff) and on the FR regulations for new credit unions.

Abair amach é.

I don't know why you'd single me out as you never even asked me about my views.

You have two problems. The first is despite multiple posters explaining it you seem incapable of actually grasping what a credit union is.

The second is you want to start a discussion on public versus private. That's fine but start a new thread to add to the hundreds already out there. This was about credit unions not where people work. As I've already stated most credit unions have members from all sectors of the economy.

By the way you may say you have no problem with front line staff but all your language suggests you view the public sector as a leech on the private. My view since you asked is that I have no time to discuss such things with someone with such a narrow point of view.

The economy works as a whole and we rise or fall together. People who think one sector has to be destroyed so the other can survive are misguided at best. Think communism in reverse.

I might have my issues with the public sector but Im not insane enough to view everything in life as a public/private issue. I'd like to believe your not trolling but that just makes it even sadder.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, folks might want to reign in the conversation and pull it back on topic :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Fairness.

What's your own view on the public sector- not just front line staff?
    What's your own view on the new regulations the FR has put in place regarding the creation of new credit unions?

This is my last post given the Moderators post above but since you asked:

It none of your business what my opinion is on the public sector - this is a thread about credit unions and that is the only subject I have spoken on here.

i have no opinion on the regulations the FR has put in place regarding the creation of new credit unions as it's the first I've heard of it and I have done no research/background reading on it - and neither have you.

Do you think it's fair that private sector workers, say in IT industry, who have just graduated. set up their own companies, for example, and want their own credit union just like the post office workers, can't actually have one, and yet their tax revenue is providing the job security for the public sector workers who do enjoy their own credit union?
    It's a nonsense arguement. There is no general ban on new credit unions opening up, as others have pointed out. You're trying to use the fact that there have been difficulties in the credit union sector to stir up yet another public vs private debate. If your group of IT workers can make a case to the regulator as to how they can set up a stable CU, then off they go.

It does seem just a little bit strange that there has never been any huge outcry from the IT industry about difficulties setting up their own credit union. But feel free to keep trying to build a huge mounting out of a molehill, or just an anthill really. It's a non-issue. The IT folk can join their local credit union, depending on where they live or where they work. If they happen to work in Dublin Airport for example, they can join St Josephs Credit Union, regardless of whether they are public or private sector employees. If they do a bit of nixer taxi driving, they can join the Taxi credit union. There are no shortage of CUs out there for private sector employees.

That's right - you've yet to hear my actual views on a whole range of issues, because none of them are relevant to this thread. Stop trolling please.

Yup, not willing to come out and state your own views, but instead happy to say what you think mine are. Weak, folks, weak.

That's right - you've yet to hear my actual views on a whole range of issues, because none of them are relevant to this thread. Stop trolling please.

I'm not the one trolling. People here tried to insinuate that I have a problem with the public sector en masse, someone even used the word 'leech'. Read back over the posts!

I'm done here anyway by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Sometimes when you're told to put something down, you should really just put it down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement