Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom refusing to activate line?!

Options
  • 19-06-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

We've just moved in to a rented property in Athlone, Co.Westmeath and whilst trying to organise broadband for our new home, Eircom won't reactivate the line for us? Therefore blocking another company from providing us with broadband.

Can someone help me on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

bgm13 wrote: »
    We've just moved in to a rented property in Athlone, Co.Westmeath and whilst trying to organise broadband for our new home, Eircom won't reactivate the line for us? Therefore blocking another company from providing us with broadband.

Can someone help me on this.

you have to enter into a contract with eircom for 6/12 months to get it , enter a contract and pay the outstanding fee's once you leave or stick with eircom for a year , it will be cheaper to stick with them for a year tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭bgm13

Why would I have to enter into a contract with Eircom when I am not using any of there services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Just go with Magnet. They will take over the line and activate it for you. Ironically they will send an Eircom technician to hook you up ;)

Just go with Magnet https://www.magnet.ie/. They will take over the line and activate it for you. ;)

They have tried, but as far as we can tell Eircom will not allow the line to be reactivated.

Eircom tried to tell me that I needed to take out a contract with them to activate the line before. I told them I wanted magnet and they were refusing to activate the line for magnet. I kept calling up Eircom and asking them for the reasoning behind this, I asked them if this was a legal way to undermine the competition and suggested I take the issue to comreg. They eventually caved.

• Advertisement

Eircom tried to tell me that I needed to take out a contract with them to activate the line before. I told them I wanted magnet and they were refusing to activate the line for magnet. I kept calling up Eircom and asking them for the reasoning behind this, I asked them if this was a legal way to undermine the competition and suggested I take the issue to comreg. They eventually caved.

We have already contacted ComReg to find out what our rights are, there is no way this can be legal. Anything in particular you came across that helped your case?

No I just hounded them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Is it possible that the previous occupant still has the line active with eircom or another provider?

Plug in a phone and dial 199 000 - It will read back the line's phone number.

Then dial 199 800 and it will tell you who (if anyone) is providing service on the line.

Try calling whatever number it gives you on the 199000 service from your mobile - If that call goes through, then the line was never cancelled by the previous occupant and you'd need to contact them directly to get them to cancel the service or change it to your name or whatever.

----

With regard to a new line:

If you want service from Eircom itself - phone eircom and order it.

If you want service from another provider, phone them directly and they will activate the line for you. You don't need to speak to eircom at all.

In the past, you had to contact eircom and get them to activate the line first. Nowadays you just do it all through your preferred provider.

If there's a dial tone, dial 199000 and get the line reference number. The exchange will read it out to you (automatic service). It helps any provider connect the line, although it may not be the number you get assigned when it's active.

Solair wrote: »
    Is it possible that the previous occupant still has the line active with eircom or another provider?

The landlord has told us there hasnt been an active line for a while, so I'd presume not. If so, they should tell us this!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

There's an alternative provider with ADSL on the line that is blocking the Transfer order. Best thing to do is to get the name of the provider and contact them about it.

• Advertisement

Plug in a phone and dial 199 000 - It will read back the line's phone number.

Then dial 199 800 and it will tell you who (if anyone) is providing service on the line.

Try calling whatever number it gives you on the 199000 service from your mobile - If that call goes through, then the line was never cancelled by the previous occupant and you'd need to contact them directly to get them to cancel the service or change it to your name or whatever.

----

With regard to a new line:

If you want service from Eircom itself - phone eircom and order it.

If you want service from another provider, phone them directly and they will activate the line for you. You don't need to speak to eircom at all.

In the past, you had to contact eircom and get them to activate the line first. Nowadays you just do it all through your preferred provider.

If there's a dial tone, dial 199000 and get the line reference number. The exchange will read it out to you (automatic service). It helps any provider connect the line, although it may not be the number you get assigned when it's active.

There's a phone there but it won't allow us to dial and theres a recorded message stating the line is inactive.
    bpmdj wrote: »
    There's an alternative provider with ADSL on the line that is blocking the Transfer order. Best thing to do is to get the name of the provider and contact them about it.

How would we find this out? Surely that's a job for Eircom since its them that put in the line and allow other providers on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Minimum contract 6 months if they activate but bb is 12

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ia22

I tried to ring 199000, and a recorded message just says,

"Please contact your preferred Internet Service Provider, blah blah blah".

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Minimum contract 6 months if they activate but bb is 12

Why would I need a contract when I'm using a different service provider?
    ia22 wrote: »
    I tried to ring 199000, and a recorded message just says,

"Please contact your preferred Internet Service Provider, blah blah blah".

Yeah, we get roughly the same message.

Dial 198000 what is spoken back...listen to all 3 categories spoken

Dial 198000 what is spoken back...listen to all 3 categories spoken

I presume that's the same output at the 199000 number?

Just do with the line says and contact your PREFERRED service provider to activate it.

They can find the line from the address and will activate it with the phone service and broadband you want.

You don't need to sign up to eircom to do this, or even contact them at all.

All of them will either have a minimum contract period where you have to stay with them (including Eircom's retail division) or else, you will have to pay some kind of an installation fee.

The main thing is to pick out the provider that you actually want to use and just contact them and they should be able to arrange installation.

Basically, your preferred provider will put an oder into their system and eircom's wholesale division pick up that order and connect the services to the line. Your voice and data traffic get routed to whichever operator you went with.

Eircom Wholesale bill that provider for the line rental and they pass it on to you on their bill.

If you've any faults / problems you deal with your provider, not eircom.

Just do with the line says and contact your PREFERRED service provider to activate it.

They can find the line from the address and will activate it with the phone service and broadband you want.

You don't need to sign up to eircom to do this, or even contact them at all.

All of them will either have a minimum contract period where you have to stay with them (including Eircom's retail division) or else, you will have to pay some kind of an installation fee.

The main thing is to pick out the provider that you actually want to use and just contact them and they should be able to arrange installation.

Basically, your preferred provider will put an oder into their system and eircom's wholesale division pick up that order and connect the services to the line. Your voice and data traffic get routed to whichever operator you went with.

Eircom Wholesale bill that provider for the line rental and they pass it on to you on their bill.

If you've any faults / problems you deal with your provider, not eircom.

That's all fine in theory but when your selected provider get back to you and say that the order has been rejected 3 times on Eircoms' side of things you have to start asking questions.

Apparently because the line has been deactivated for a certain period of time, we need to get the line reconnected altogether.

Anyone had to go through this process?

That simply should not be happening. The other operator should find out why the line's failing.

If they are point blank refusing to take the order, you need to contact Comreg and kick up a fuss.

Normally it's just a case of calling them up / ordering online and a few days later, you've got phone and broadband.

If there's a dial tone at the house, then the line's connected and it can be activated remotely without anything more than a few mouse clicks.

The only other thing that could be happening is that there's an outstanding bill or some issue where the account's been terminated, but eircom or some other operator has kept the line and is preventing a new order.

If you're a new occupant in the house, this is not your problem and you should just lodge a complaint with Comreg a.s.a.p.

If you've cable service passing, go with cable phone + broadband instead and save yourself a lot of hassle!

• Advertisement

That simply should not be happening. The other operator should find out why the line's failing.

If they are point blank refusing to take the order, you need to contact Comreg and kick up a fuss.

Normally it's just a case of calling them up / ordering online and a few days later, you've got phone and broadband.

If there's a dial tone at the house, then the line's connected and it can be activated remotely without anything more than a few mouse clicks.

The only other thing that could be happening is that there's an outstanding bill or some issue where the account's been terminated, but eircom or some other operator has kept the line and is preventing a new order.

If you're a new occupant in the house, this is not your problem and you should just lodge a complaint with Comreg a.s.a.p.

If you've cable service passing, go with cable phone + broadband instead and save yourself a lot of hassle!

There is no dial tone, just a recorded message.

Just heard from one of my housemates that the line has not be used for roughly 3 years.

I presume that's the same output at the 199000 number?

No.

There is no dial tone, just a recorded message.

Just heard from one of my housemates that the line has not be used for roughly 3 years.

If there's anything - i.e. a dial tone / a recording etc, the line's physically intact and connected to the line card at the exchange, so any activation that needs to be done is entirely electronic. There would be no engineering work required.

The electrical connections are in place, and your line is working. There's just no account setup so the exchange won't process any calls.

Basically someone has to click a few buttons and setup an account. DSL ordering may take up to 5 days or so.

Your problem is that for some reason the phone / broadband company you have contacted is unable to process the order. You need to get them to find out why not and resolve that.

If that company's not taking the order, then you need to contact ComReg and get the problem sorted.

It sounds like there's some issue with the ordering system.

If there's anything - i.e. a dial tone / a recording etc, the line's physically intact and connected to the line card at the exchange, so any activation that needs to be done is entirely electronic. There would be no engineering work required.

The electrical connections are in place, and your line is working. There's just no account setup so the exchange won't process any calls.

Basically someone has to click a few buttons and setup an account. DSL ordering may take up to 5 days or so.

Your problem is that for some reason the phone / broadband company you have contacted is unable to process the order. You need to get them to find out why not and resolve that.

If that company's not taking the order, then you need to contact ComReg and get the problem sorted.

It sounds like there's some issue with the ordering system.

Thanks for the help, definately making sense.

I have no idea why this has become such a difficult task, surely this happens regularly.

Just keep pressing the issue with the company you're ordering from. It sounds like it's some kind of a database glitch or something like that.

Also, make sure that your address is absolutely correct as per their database. There are some pretty ambiguous addresses in Ireland!

If you want to double-check your address go here:

http://address.anpost.ie/precisionaddressanpost/precisionaddresspost.aspx

You need to register, but it's free for 10 searches per day.

Just keep pressing the issue with the company you're ordering from. It sounds like it's some kind of a database glitch or something like that.

Also, make sure that your address is absolutely correct as per their database. There are some pretty ambiguous addresses in Ireland!

If you want to double-check your address go here:

http://address.anpost.ie/precisionaddressanpost/precisionaddresspost.aspx

You need to register, but it's free for 10 searches per day.

I've tried that but the house doesn't seem to be on it.

I've tried that but the house doesn't seem to be on it.

Use the address as per the ESB bill or tv license. They're usually accurate.

No.

Doesn't work, the second you try to input any number the recorded message comes on.
    Use the address as per the ESB bill or tv license. They're usually accurate.

That's a good idea, I'll get onto the landlord today for an old bill.

Can you not get UPC in Athlone??

• Advertisement

Can you not get UPC in Athlone??

Only in parts and surprise surprise not our house.

Advertisement