Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions for "Come Dine With Me" dinner

• 19-06-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm taking part in a Come Dine With Me style event with friends over the next few weeks, and would be interested in any recipes for starter, main, and dessert that anyone might have. I'm not exactly the greatest cook in the world, but can follow reasonable instructions. I have a few recipes that I can do well but I want to try something different this time around. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

If possible, try to find out your guests likes/ dislikes before you plan your menu.
    It's not pleasant for the guest to be served something they hate, and also would be a knock to you if your courses were based on something someone hated and couldn't touch. I always think it's risky serving stuff like fish as it's a real "love it or hate it" dish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I'd go for something where most of the cooking is done before the guests arrive, and all you have to do is serve it up, and be entertaining ;) How about something like three different mini-fishcakes as a starter (one salmon, one cod or other white fish, one smoked haddock) with home made tartare sauce and rocket or lamb's lettuce garnish, then a coq au vin or boeuf bourgignon main course, with mash and petits pois, followed by a classic tarte tatin with whipped cream, or something chocolatey?

The beauty of the above is that the fishcakes would simply need heating in the oven, you could mash the spuds in advance, mix an egg and seasoning into them and keep warm in the oven, so they go golden on top. The casserole will sit there until people are ready to eat - it's just the peas that need to be cooked in the past 5 mins before serving. Serve the dessert chilled from the fridge.

Start your guests off with a chilled glass of Cava or Prosecco, then serve the same (red) wine with the main course as you used in the chicken dish, and offer a little glass of Calvados with the dessert, and maybe a selection of Irish or French cheeses as a final savoury, with port :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

if you feel you're "not good"

stick to dishes you know very well and are very comfortable re-producing maybe "fancy" up the presentation of simple dishes rather than trying to cook something fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

To present the food assemble it into a tower on one side of an enormous plate. That seems to be all the rage still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Starter: Chicken Liver Pate on toasted brioche.
    Main course: Coq au Riesling with creamy mash and steamed asparagus.
    Dessert: Banana Fritters with Honey drizzle and good quality ice cream.

I've tried these recipes and served them at a dinner party. Success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Einhard - these fora a full to the brim of recipes for you to choose from. There is no need for yet another thread start with lists of recipes.

Please use the forum search function for meals that may match your culinary skills. There is also The Cooking Club forum, the Easy Peasy Recipes, Here's What I Had for Dinner & the Random Recipes threads for you to read.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement