Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symbian, Netbeans and installation problems

Options
  • 19-06-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Hi ,
    I am just trying to get started with mobile development. I have installed Netbeans and Nokia SDK and everything is working ok except I cannot deploy .

Netbeans give an option to use Nokia Suite to deploy to Nokia phones and I have it installed , but Netbeans still says it is not installed.

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this setup and could help

thanks
    regard
    ger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If you're looking to get into mobile development, why are you getting into developing for a platform that is being phased out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭rock22

Masochism!

I have completed SCJP and want to practice my Java. Right now i have a Symbian phone and so just want to start here.

I suppose i thought some one must be familiar enough with Netbeans to point me in the right direction. The problem seems to be that Netbeans is not seeing the Nokia program and so I asssume I need to register it somehow or point to its directory. I imagine i would have the same problem downloading an app to an android phone ( at the moment i have no access to such phone so cannot try.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Honestly, I'd download the Android SDK and learn using the emulator, if you're looking to do Java development on mobile, rather than develop for a platform that is being phased out.

If you simply want to develop for Symbian because you have a Symbian phone, then instead I'd look at using Nokia WRT as it's very easy to get into.

Thanks for taking the time to read and for the advice.

I will search for the Android SDL and download it. Do you know if this will work with Netbeans or do you recommend a different IDE.

regards
    gerard

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

rock22 wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to read and for the advice.

I will search for the Android SDL and download it. Do you know if this will work with Netbeans or do you recommend a different IDE.

regards
    gerard

There is a 3rd party plug in for netbeans but the official plug in is only available for Eclipse and I'd recommend you go with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

draffodx wrote: »
    There is a 3rd party plug in for netbeans but the official plug in is only available for Eclipse and I'd recommend you go with that.
    I'd +1 eclipse! =)

I am still trying to set up a development envirnoment for Java for Symbian devices.
    I have tried Eclipse pulse and Netbeans. I have gotten QT to work ok.

Has anyone done this successfully and is willing to tell me how to link everything together properly?
    thanks

gerard

I have just managed to sort this and am posting my own reply. I am doing this so that anyone else searching for Symbian and java might find this solution.

the Nokia SKD can be downloaded here http://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/Series_40/

It requires Java 1.6 v 27. Later versions might cause problem. Also it requires the 32 bit version not 64 bit. Finally the jdk folder should be named /java/jdk6.

thanks for input and hope this might help someone else.

Advertisement