Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion / Evolution?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Min wrote: »
    Well don't take it so light hearted so.

You know well condoms had nothing to do with the abuse that happened.

How does making a joke about how corrupt and stupid the Church is equate to being happy children were abused ?

And it wasnt that far off either. Any paedo priest would have been only too delighted to tell his parishioners how wrong it is to use contraception. While licking his lips at the ever growing amount of children in the parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

unless the catholic church agree to allowing priests marry it wont last another 50 years... the priests are dying out and not getting replacements fast enough for the church to remain in existance another 50 years.

Let's hope that they don't so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

unless the catholic church agree to allowing priests marry it wont last another 50 years... the priests are dying out and not getting replacements fast enough for the church to remain in existance another 50 years.
    The influence here is certainly going to be changing a lot. The average age of priests in Ireland is 64, apparently.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Future-without-priests-in-Ireland--if-crisis-continues-says-leading-cleric-150565015.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Priest will be imported from poorer countries that have not yet seen the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

All hail the all knowing, all powerful Opticom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It boggles my mind that people care what other people believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Guill wrote: »
    Priest will be imported from poorer countries that have not yet seen the light.

not really... most of the poor countries are of muslim faith not catholic.

and even in those countries that do have high numbers of catholic citizens the priests there were buggering the bejaysus out of the kids... so if they do get a transferred they wont last that long cos the hiv will kill them priests off quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

But but, the banana fit in my hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

"Religion vs evolution".

Should be "Judeo-Christianity vs evolution"

A lot of imams in Islam accept evolution. Buddhism doesn't really give a sh!t how the world began, neither do a lot of neopagans. Many European pagan countries accepted that their creation myths and the mythologies of the gods were only metaphors.

biko wrote: »

And the apple gives my two perfect places to fit my thumb and index finger.

EDIT: This post sounds very wrong.

• Advertisement

Humans didn't evolve from monkeys, we share a common ancestor.

I know this is true (and I seen the comments about it being apes and no such thing as a monkey) but would modern apes/monkeys that descended from our ancestor not be extremely similar to that ancestor. So say they are decened from that ancestor but didnt evolve much.

Wouldnt saying "we evolved from apes/monkeys" although not technically correct be a valid statement considering our ancestor would have been what we now refer to as apes/monkeys ?

Thank you very much, I look forwards to your response.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    I know this is true (and I seen the comments about it being apes and no such thing as a monkey) but would modern apes/monkeys that descended from our ancestor not be extremely similar to that ancestor. So say they are decened from that ancestor but didnt evolve much.

Wouldnt saying "we evolved from apes/monkeys" although not technically correct be a valid statement considering our ancestor would have been what we now refer to as apes/monkeys ?

What makes you think it was more similar to monkeys than us?

I'm talking genetics wise, not that we have intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

OneArt wrote: »
    "Religion vs evolution".

Should be "Judeo-Christianity vs evolution"

A lot of imams in Islam accept evolution. Buddhism doesn't really give a sh!t how the world began, neither do a lot of neopagans. Many European pagan countries accepted that their creation myths and the mythologies of the gods were only metaphors.

Most strands of Judaism and most Christian churchs (including the Roman Catholic Church) accept evolution.

What I can't believe is that anyone thinks that any good can possibly come from a them vs us religion/evolution, church/atheism thread based on ridiculous generalisations......that aren't even correct.

shizz wrote: »
    What makes you think it was more similar to monkeys than us?

I'm talking genetics wise, not that we have intelligence.

The monkey still lives in the same environment eating the same food and has the same physical appearance.

Considering we both evolved from the same thing I'd say we evolved more making them more similar to the ancestor than us. And appearance wise would be extremely close to what we generally refer to as monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There where a lot of upright walking apes at one time and we look pretty different from them from our perspective. If an alien came down to earth they'd probably only be able to differentiate between us and the other primates due to our hairlessness.

The only reason we walk upright is due to a change in habitat, we became a planes ape while the rest stayed in the forest. If they stay in the forest and they are already adapted to that environment they would have little need to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

How does making a joke about how corrupt and stupid the Church is equate to being happy children were abused ?

And it wasnt that far off either. Any paedo priest would have been only too delighted to tell his parishioners how wrong it is to use contraception. While licking his lips at the ever growing amount of children in the parish.

You are happy to use the abuse victims rather than happy people were abused.

You admit you used them for a joke in the above reply.

ScumLord wrote: »
    There where a lot of upright walking apes at one time and we look pretty different from them from our perspective. If an alien came down to earth they'd probably only be able to differentiate between us and the other primates due to our hairlessness.

The only reason we walk upright is due to a change in habitat, we became a planes ape while the rest stayed in the forest. If they stay in the forest and they are already adapted to that environment they would have little need to change.

Thats what I'm saying, they havent changed, we have. But at one point we were the same thing. So our ancestors would essentially have been apes/monkeys and it wouldnt be that incorrect to say we didnt evolve from monkeys.

The monkey still lives in the same environment eating the same food and has the same physical appearance.

Considering we both evolved from the same thing I'd say we evolved more making them more similar to the ancestor than us. And appearance wise would be extremely close to what we generally refer to as monkeys.

Ok, but anyway the fact is saying we evolved from monkeys is incorrect. That we evolved from apes is more correct considering we still are apes.

We were all put here by aliens...we are aliens :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

biko wrote: »

It's also the perfect shape to fit in a man's anus, but for some reason religious people still think homosexuality is wrong.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    It's also the perfect shape to fit in a man's anus, but for some reason religious people still think homosexuality is wrong.

Will not be drinking banana milk shakes at your house....

You are happy to use the abuse victims rather than happy people were abused.

You admit you used them for a joke in the above reply.

I didnt use the victims to make a joke at all. I used the topic for a joke at the expense of those who allowed it to happen.

That doesnt mean for one second I am happy it happened so I could joke about it which is what you implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Thats what I'm saying, they havent changed, we have. But at one point we were the same thing. So our ancestors would essentially have been apes/monkeys and it wouldnt be that incorrect to say we didnt evolve from monkeys.
    It would be fair to say we evolved from a type of ape, but monkeys are very different from apes.... Damnit! :pac: Monkeys have a tail for a start.

Sarky wrote: »

Surely you would remove the skin first? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Humans didn't evolve from monkeys, we share a common ancestor.

ah yes, here's another one of the lads with their bro science degrees they received from the internet.

probably read the back page of the selfish gene, and the first two pages of the blind watchmaker and then hitchens and dawkins became your new Prophet Isiah.

The amount of idiots on this forum who think they're experts in evolutionary biology is shocking.

insanity50 wrote: »
    ah yes, here's another one of the lads with their bro science degrees they received from the internet.

probably read the back page of the selfish gene, and the first two pages of the blind watchmaker and then hitchens and dawkins became your new Prophet Isiah.

The amount of idiots on this forum who think they're experts in evolutionary biology is shocking.

Well if you could take a second to get down off that incredibly high horse of yours, maybe you could enlighten everyone here with your wisdom.

I didnt use the victims to make a joke at all. I used the topic for a joke at the expense of those who allowed it to happen.

That doesnt mean for one second I am happy it happened so I could joke about it which is what you implied.
    More condoms = less children to abuse. Cant have that.

So children were not abuse victims?

You said the last quote was a joke. I will leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Will not be drinking banana milk shakes at your house....

Your loss. they bring all the boys to the yard, I'll have you know. We then sit around laughing at how evil the Catholic Church is and how those who defend its crimes have such sensitive little bottoms. Most likely because of all the bananas they keep putting up there.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Surely you would remove the skin first? :eek:

No, I'm not Jewish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

shizz wrote: »
    Well if you could take a second to get down off that incredibly high horse of yours, maybe you could enlighten everyone here with your wisdom.

What is it you seek enlightenment on?
    Ask and you shall receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

ScumLord wrote: »
    It would be fair to say we evolved from a type of ape, but monkeys are very different from apes.... Damnit! :pac: Monkeys have a tail for a start.
    Which reminds me to point out vestigal organs.

Advertisement