Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar LED Dummy Alarm Box

Options
  • 19-06-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a dummy alarm box. A quick search and I found some dummy boxes which now have a solar powered LED on them.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them? Are they effective or poor?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

B&Q have a response one . The lights do a quick flash every 5 seconds €30
    Or you could get a real HKC/pyronics bell and connect a 12v supply to it and have the lights going all the time . Know one could spot the difference then and it would look like you have a brand new alarm system . You also wouldn't have to keep changing batteries or cleaning solar panels

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Beacon Communications do a battery LED kit that just sits into a decoy. It would last 3-4 year's I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Are there any genuine bell boxes on the market that have a solar panel? I'd be wary of it looking like an obvious dummy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree some of the DIY options are very obvious.
    There were even ones doing the rounds a while back with a sticker to make them more realistic. The only problem was the number was American:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

KoolKid wrote: »
    I agree some of the DIY options are very obvious.
    There were even ones doing the rounds a while back with a sticker to make them more realistic. The only problem was the number was American:eek:.

Suppliers wise where is the best place to get a half decent dummy box?

• Advertisement

Any of the suppliers in the sticky would have standard decoys.
    Where are you located?

Your best bet would be one of the options koolkid or myself mentioned . It wouldnt be possible to see it was fake

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

The best option is to buy a real external bell and supply it with 12V from either a power supply or transformer. Dummy bell boxes with a led flashing don't look the part. Some also use a different type plastic that can make the LED flashing less visible.

altor wrote: »
    The best option is to buy a real external bell and supply it with 12V from either a power supply or transformer. Dummy bell boxes with a led flashing don't look the part. Some also use a different type plastic that can make the LED flashing less visible.

+1 on this option
    This would be a more permanent solution and will most likely last longer. And you will save on having to buy a bell if you do get an alarm in the future

+1 if you want to spend the extra few euros .
    If you want high profile....
    Pyronix_DeltabellPlus.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

+1 on this option
    This would be a more permanent solution and will most likely last longer. And you will save on having to buy a bell if you do get an alarm in the future

It will also save you having to replace the Batteries in the Dummy every couple of years.

KoolKid wrote: »
    +1 if you want to spend the extra few euros .
    If you want high profile....
    Pyronix_DeltabellPlus.jpg

Hopefully getting 2 of these to replace my current bells . They do look and sound the part :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Thanks for all the helpful info guys :)

You're welcome.
    Let us know how you get on .

Advertisement