Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harry Redknapp for the Ireland Job???

• 19-06-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭

I heard it was mentioned on the radio this morning, So if von trap were to go,

Would he be a good option?
    Would he take it, especially after the english FA snubbed him so bluntly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Don't be ridiculous, he'd cost even more than Trap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

dcr22B wrote: »

sometimes you got to speculate to accumulate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I think the idea of internation football appeals to him. He could then get a load of commentary gigs in England and work only a couple of weeks a year.

I think he'd then start to realise he can't sign players and get frustrated with it!!!

I think he'll wait a few months and maybe the Chelsea job will open up for him. I reckon he'll be back in the premiership within a few months. May even swap jobs with Moyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I think it would be a horrible drop from England to Ireland for Redknapp. He'll hang around until either Hodgson gets sacked or a team in England get on a "it has to be an English manager" buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Loving the likely options being thrown about.

We could have Keane, who in the unlikely event of actually qualifying would fall out with the entire squad and send them home by training camp time.

We could have Domenech. A mentally fragile gobsh1te last seen in an Irish context cheating us out of a WC spot.

And now Arry. He seems like a nice bloke but he doesnt have a great record for loyalty once his stock goes up and people start waving chequebooks at him. Not to mention how awful the decline at Spurs was when it looked like he was on the brink of leaving.

All of this and there isnt even a hint that Trap is getting sacked/ resigning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

stevieob wrote: »

I don't know whether it'd be a good option. He would know a good deal about the squad already though.

At his age, international management would be ideal and the FAI would pay him a nice sum. It's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Another point to take would be that he blatantly doesnt rate Robbie as being a top level player anymore. He would play him for popularity reasons against minnows, or give him a run out if we were 3-0 up or what not, but I doubt Keane would take kindly enough to being stripped of the captaincy to bother turning up, could create a whole situation the FAI wouldnt fancy.

he might leave Robbie Keane in LA (where he sent him once already) and pick a us a new striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd rather we clear up the FAI before we bring in another character like 'Arry TBH.

gavredking wrote: »
    I'd rather we clear up the FAI before we bring in another character like 'Arry TBH.

JD :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

It would be t'riffic for sure, hopefully the chairman can do a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

stevieob wrote: »

Until I see him talking about it from the Range rover, I wont believe it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Would he get a percentage of every Irish passport he issues to each new plastic Paddy in the squad?

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Would he get a percentage of every Irish passport he issues to each new plastic Paddy in the squad?

probably be in a brown envelope though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Schism wrote: »
    At his age, international management would be ideal and the FAI would pay him a nice sum. It's possible.

€1.5m before tax, after tax it'd be €1.5m. :pac:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

€1.5m before tax, after tax it'd be £1.5m. stg :pac:

FYP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

We could have Domenech. A mentally fragile gobsh1te last seen in an Irish context cheating us out of a WC spot.

A few facts for you....

Before Henry's goal we weren't assured to qualify for anything, it was 1-1 on aggregate, we were robbed of a chance to book a spot, there's a considerable difference.

But of course everyone conveniently forgets this when people lament about that night, we missed umpteen sitters, but I suppose you've probably forgotten that too.

But carry on... Domenech, Henry rabble rabble rabble.

Don't want Harry for the job, but I'd take Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Samba wrote: »
    A few facts for you....

Before Henry's goal we weren't assured to qualify for anything, it was 1-1 on aggregate, we were robbed of a chance to book a spot, there's a considerable difference.

But of course everyone conveniently forgets this when people lament about that night, we missed umpteen sitters, but I suppose you've probably forgotten that too.

Please dont start this ****e again.

The reason the majority of people wouldnt like Domenech is because he is a gob****e and a terrible manager.

Anyways Trap has another 2 years on his contract and he isnt going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

joe123 wrote: »

The reason the majority of people wouldnt like Domenech is because he is a gob****e and a terrible manager.

Sorry, but I'm so sick of it being constantly dragged up, I know I'm not helping matters by commenting on the post, but you can't be robbed of something you don't have!

Couldn't agree more, he's a total smeg head.

Back on topic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Sorry, but I'm so sick of it being constantly dragged up, I know I'm not helping matters by commenting on the post, but you can't be robbed of something you don't have!

The final shot count in that game was France 16, Ireland 5. So by Irish standards we were absolutely 'dominating' the game and heading for an easy victory (if you believe Joe Public). :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

joe123 wrote: »
    A few facts for you....

Trap is in the Mick McCarthy scenario now following WC 2002. He's on borrowed time. A bad start to the qualifiers and trap is gone faster than you can say men...tal...ity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Redknapp would be a terrible choice. Imagine his messiah-like press conferences to the little Paddies telling us all how grateful we should be to have someone like him. No thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Mick McCarthy has to be the first choice, the best manager we've ever had and he was screwed by Saipan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

He'd be the complete opposite of Trap, could get Ireland playing proper football again, he had Spurs playing the best football to watch in the league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

dcr22B wrote: »

Seeing as Denis O'Brien is a tax exile maybe he will continue to bankroll the wages of Irish managers. In that case managers like Redknapp could be affordable.

In any case it looks certain that Trap will stay. I hope he stays true to his word that he will introduce new players and systems for the 2014 World Cup qualification campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Poor manager, wouldn't be bottom on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Considering how badly he managed Spurs towards the end of this season, I would have to say definitely no. Spurs could have sailed into 3rd and automatic CL qualification and now instead they are playing Thursday night football.

Also don't we have enough allegations of corruption within the government without bringing into the national team as well? Although, for some reason I would imagine him getting on very well with Delaney.

Finally, the man is clearly delusional and possible having some sort of breakdown going by his recent comments:
    Frankly, I wouldn’t swap England’s front six for any at this tournament – including Spain’s.

Full Article:

Advertisement