Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Admin password reset

• 19-06-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Have totally forgotten my admin password and have been operating from a second account (which isn't an admin acc) need to get back to the admin now and have been googling furiously trying to figure out how to do, I have a mac book air 11' 10.7.2 .. I tried to reboot doing the whole .. mount... shutdown thing however when everyone else's seems to be starting fresh mine just goes back to the usual opening menu showing the two accounts.. I've misplaced my cd i got but I don't have a drive for it anyway! Any suggestions? Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Have a look at this, MsDarcy!

I have to say, it's pretty scary how easy it is to do that on Lion. Another reason to turn on FileVault! (If you're not crap at remembering passwords! :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Wow I thought resetting SL and W7 passwords was easy but that is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭MsDarcy

Thanks a mill ! It didn't work (or I'm just a total egjit altogether :o ) Gonna make a trip into town tomorrow and hopefully the guys in the store near graft on street can help... thanks again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Did it boot into Recovery Mode?

Shut down your laptop then start it again holding Alt/Option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Have a look at this, MsDarcy!

Time to take a trip to pcworld and lock all the staff out of the macs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Also, I thought I should post this also, http://osxdaily.com/2011/04/25/change-admin-password-mac/

This uses the single user mode to change the admin/ root password. I've used it in the past and I reckon it's faster to change the password than the lion recovery method mentioned above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mackytiger

There are many commands to reset Mac admin password which differs depending upon the situation. For example resetting password in 10.4-10.5 is simple by typing the following command : 
    sh /etc/rc
    passwd shortusername

while Mac OS X running 10.7 to 10.12 you need to simply open terminal in recovery mode and type command "resetpassword" --> Select the volume containing the user account then > Select username and type a new password > hit save and you are done.

For a detailed information you may want to refer to this detailed article on how to reset mac admin password -

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If anyone is looking to further secure their Mac consider a firmware password.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455

Advertisement