Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maternity leave query

Options
  • 19-06-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

i was out on maternity leave but its now finished, i havent gone back to work as im not well, just found out again that im pregnant, if i dont return back to work before my maternity leave is due again, can i get maternity leave. i'm currently getting illness benifit. i have worked for 14years straight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 charleymax

Hi Bubbles3,

Most employers that operate a "full pay" maternity benefit have certain terms and conditions which nearly alwas require a return to work for a minium period before being eligible to take another period of full pay maternity leave (think it's 6 months in my work but I'm a bloke so haven't loked too closely!). Bear in mind this does not affect your legal and statuatory rights relating to maternity leave & pay.

Also most workpaces that pay full pay for sick leave usually ony do this for a short period (again 6 weeks in my works case) then I assume you would quickly revert to statuatory only for this as well.

You have 2 options, you would either be entitled to Statuatory illness benefit (if you remain classed as ill by your GP) or statuatory maternity benefit.

Coming off the illness and going back on to maternity would require you to go back in and meet you employer / HR dept though to get the forms etc to set this up. There should be no issue with this though as whether you are Ill or going back on Maternity there isn't much they can say legally and either you wil ony get Statuatory or a good chunk of what they pay you wil be picked up by the statuatory payments.

Advertisement