Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Free Speed Increase (50-60Meg)

• 19-06-2012 4:12pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up folks, received a text from UPC there informing me that my speed was upgraded from 50-60meg free of charge, just did a speed test there:
    2017438449.png
    Not seen another thread about this (maybe I'm blind!) but said I'd give a heads up in any case

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bloomfield

I got the same text. Says to power cycle the modem to get the increased speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Wonder if it will be the same for other speeds?

I have been told by UPC reps recently that speed increases are on the way, but wasnt told by how much. All that was said was "we'll be going beyond what anyone else can provide, and with plenty more room for further increases"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Most UPC countries in Europe have 120mbit max so maybe they are going to

1. 120
    2. 60
    3. 30

from 25 50 and 100 today. Obviously not everywhere, still max 50 in Galway AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I was on the 20MB plan and they sent me a message upgrading me to 25MB.

Another thing is they also changed their plans around. The 20MB plan is now discontinued. And the prices of the 25MB, 50MB and 100MB have been increased to €37, €47 and €57 respectively.

That price rise means anyone who wants to terminate UPC can do so immediately and without penalty anytime over the next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I'm on the 25Mb product and have heard nothing about a price rise? :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Arciphel wrote: »
    I'm on the 25Mb product and have heard nothing about a price rise? :mad:

I've not heard anything about a price rise on the 50meg either, but I'm sure one will probably come :rolleyes::rolleyes: . Still an extra 10 meg is fairly decent tbh :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Current contracts will not be affected by the price increase.

Edit: source - a UPC "online chat" agent
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That price rise means anyone who wants to terminate UPC can do so immediately and without penalty anytime over the next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

On the 50mb package here and could never get close to that when connected wirelessly before,just did a speed test a second ago and I'm now getting this:

2017725278.png

Fair play UPC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

no noticeable changes in speed my end anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

im still only at 20mbps

My boss got a text about her 20 meg being upped to 25. I'm wondering if they'll up the price at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fitseeker

Got a text to say my internet has been boosted from 100mb to 120mb, did a power cycle and still can't get over 65mbps wirelessly in the same room as router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Fitseeker wrote: »
    Got a text to say my internet has been boosted from 100mb to 120mb, did a power cycle and still can't get over 65mbps wirelessly in the same room as router.

Forget about wireless at those speeds no matter how close you are to the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

Just power cycled my modem and can confirm my connection has been increased to 120mb from 100mb in Dublin 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Power cycled and now on 120mb :) Downloading at a steady 15MB/s

In Limerick by the way if you didn't guess from my name :P

I tried power cycling now that the peak period is over (where I go down to 3-4 meg), I'm now getting 25. I'm just hoping they don't increase price again but since the 25 meg pack is more expensive on their website I'm guessing they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Power cycled and getting 60 down 6 up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I was on the 20MB plan and they sent me a message upgrading me to 25MB.

+1

UPC have a new offer out so I'd say there will be price changes announced shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

No text yet, but I'll give the auld modem a reboot when I get home, and see what happens. It has been several months since I power cycled it, so no harm to do so anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

30Mb to 60Mb here. :)

I am on 120 now . Crazy really .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

From 50 to 60 here :)

btw power-cycling just means turning the router off for 30 seconds then switching it back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

looks like i went from 25 to 65 down and 2.5 up to 7 up :eek:

Good lord 7.5 mb/s on steam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I'm here in cork on 50 meg package can never get over 40 in a ping test 35 was my max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

Cork24 wrote: »
    I'm here in cork on 50 meg package can never get over 40 in a ping test 35 was my max

Have you tried speedtest.upc.ie ? Or even downloading an ISO from HEAnet, they will give you the most valid result on LAN connection.

Remember depending on the server you choose on speedtest.net you maybe affected by various Peering Limitations, speedtest.upc.ie is hosted locally on the UPC network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm in north Dublin and still on 20mb/s - only getting 17mb/s atm.

No text either :confused:

If you are in an area where UPC don't offer 100mbits then they are unlikely to upgrade anybody. Plenty of those around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If you are in an area where UPC don't offer 100mbits then they are unlikely to upgrade anybody. Plenty of those around.

Sorry meant to say I'm actually on the 20mb package paying €35/month total...still no upgrade. AFAIK I can get the 100mb package in this area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

just tried speedtest.upc.ie

got 37

Advertisement