Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Free Speed Increase (50-60Meg)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Tried speediest.upc.ie

Got 11MB, paying for 25MB ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I'm I missing something here, at the moment I'm on 20mbits for 25Euros + 7.5Euros per month standalone charge, so around 32.50Euros.

But looking at the current list of prices the cheapest is 37Euros + 7.50Euros. Which brings me up to 42.50Euros!

Thats a full 10Euro a month increase. Plese feel free to correct me tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I tried speedtest.net yesterday.

2017579208.png

Happy with that. 57mb up and 6.4mb down.

I'm on the 50mb package (upgraded to 60mb yesterday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

bricks wrote: »
    I'm I missing something here, at the moment I'm on 20mbits for 25Euros + 7.5Euros per month standalone charge, so around 32.50Euros.

But looking at the current list of prices the cheapest is 37Euros + 7.50Euros. Which brings me up to 42.50Euros!

I'm on the same package (only paying by credit card instead of DD, so extra €3/month, robbers).

Yep some increase alright. IIRC I was paying close to that for their top end package a year or two ago!

Our contracts aren't affected tho so until you're finished it, you'll still be paying the same.

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Tried speediest.upc.ie

Got 11MB, paying for 25MB ...
    Connect your laptop to modem with Lan cable and check again, it should show what you are actually getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Connect your laptop to modem with Lan cable and check again, it should show what you are actually getting.

Was showing 24MB down and 2.5MB up yesterday from the same system / website. Might be just a case they're working on it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

Was showing 24MB down and 2.5MB up yesterday from the same system / website. Might be just a case they're working on it now?

By any chance did you check yesterday during off peak hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

You'll be paying €44.50 .

Up from €32.50,

an increase of €12euro or 38%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

When are they going to inform us of a price increase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

You'll be paying €44.50 .

Up from €32.50,

an increase of €12euro or 38%.

Not really a free upgrade so much as a message from UPC, "Since we now have a monopoly on real broadband we'll be uping your price" , still there's no competition, most people if they switched over to DSL would be lucky to get even 8Mbits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

My download seems the same, but upload has increased from 2.5 to 3.2 after power cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Not really a free upgrade so much as a message from UPC, "Since we now have a monopoly on real broadband we'll be uping your price" ,
    still there's no competition,
    most people if they switched over to DSL would be lucky to get even 8Mbits.

UPC seem to have made Smart Telecom competitive again.

Tnrhv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

People who are currently with UPC and already have Broadband from them won't be effected by the price increases. It will only be for new customers signing up.

I originally thought only 20MB users would get a free upgrade because they discontinued the 20MB plan. But it seems like they just decided to give everyone a free upgrade. Paying €1 per MB/s... i'm pretty happy with that. Before UPC was in my area I was paying Meteor €25 for 7.2MB/s (which I only achieved half of that speed max) with a 20GB usage limit. I'm actually getting over the advertised speeds from UPC. Still think they are the best BB provider. However for new customers it will probably make them think twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

2019325801.png

free 5mb increase on top of the free 10mb increase....I like my UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

got the text as well, just did a test with and without wifi, was only getting around 20meg with the wifi on and 35meg with the cable plugged in

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

From 25/2.5 to 30/3.0 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

2019597498.png

on wireless at peaktime....quite happy here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i got the text today 30meg to 60meg, i reboted the modem and im only getting 35meg down/5.5meg up (wired connection). Im thinking some of the modems out there might not actually be able to work at the upgrade speeds, im on the Cisco EPC2203 modem and Ive read that it can only handle upto 30meg speeds. Anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

gline wrote: »
    i got the text today 30meg to 60meg, i reboted the modem and im only getting 35meg down/5.5meg up (wired connection). Im thinking some of the modems out there might not actually be able to work at the upgrade speeds, im on the Cisco EPC2203 modem and Ive read that it can only handle upto 30meg speeds. Anyone know anything about this?

AFAIK the 50 Mbs routers (like I have) will handle up to 120 Mbs. You need a wireless n router or a wireless n card with a laptop. I stand to be corrected on this.

PS.I got the upgrade but no text or email.

• Advertisement

UPC seem to have made Smart Telecom competitive again.
    Thanks for that. As I have no TV with UPC (I have Sky instead), if they up my price then I'll be paying roughly €45 when I originally signed up at €32.75. So I might look into Smart if UPC do up the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Nice upgrade.

2020073703.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Yakuza wrote: »
    No text yet, but I'll give the auld modem a reboot when I get home, and see what happens. It has been several months since I power cycled it, so no harm to do so anyway.

Did a speed test (speedtest.net) before power cycling; 92/6.
    Power cycled, got 90/6, so no appreciable difference here (admittedly, it's probably a peak time right about now, will try again after midnight).

Dublin 3 area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

No text yet, but I'll give the auld modem a reboot when I get home, and see what happens. It has been several months since I power cycled it, so no harm to do so anyway.

Did a speed test (speedtest.net) before power cycling; 92/6.
    Power cycled, got 90/6, so no appreciable difference here (admittedly, it's probably a peak time right about now, will try again after midnight).

Dublin 3 area.

What do you mean by a power cycle?
    thanks.

iDann wrote: »
    thanks.

Pull the plug out of the modem for 20secs and then plug it back in.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Ranicand wrote: »

My modem has a power switch; I shut it down for about a minute or so (or whatever time it took for me to go to the kitchen, fill the kettle, switch it on and come back to the modem:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Ranicand wrote: »
    thanks.

ahhh I see :) Thanks.

ahhh I see :) Thanks.

I would hate to be using DSL now.
    vn09yp.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

We have a wiener :D

2020197979.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

In North County Dublin.

So after power cycle I also get this excellent 120+ download rates on speedtests to irish servers but what good is this speed if UPC does not have enough bandwith to allow actual connections to let's say the US or Europe to download stuff at that rates. It's no use to have the biggest pipe in the country if one can't even get a reliable download from let's say the itunes servers.

Advertisement