Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Free Speed Increase (50-60Meg)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In North County Dublin.

So after power cycle I also get this excellent 120+ download rates on speedtests to irish servers but what good is this speed if UPC does not have enough bandwith to allow actual connections to let's say the US or Europe to download stuff at that rates. It's no use to have the biggest pipe in the country if one can't even get a reliable download from let's say the itunes servers.

That's down to those service providers to increase the bandwidth there servers can deliver. You can't really blame UPC for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

But can you watch a HD video on Youtube yet without it stalling? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    But can you watch a HD video on Youtube yet without it stalling? :pac:

Possibly when we get fibre to home, but until then, Youtube videos will always be throttled one way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

In North County Dublin.

So after power cycle I also get this excellent 120+ download rates on speedtests to irish servers but what good is this speed if UPC does not have enough bandwith to allow actual connections to let's say the US or Europe to download stuff at that rates. It's no use to have the biggest pipe in the country if one can't even get a reliable download from let's say the itunes servers.

I get my full download speeds from servers in Germany and about 90% of the speed from servers in the US.

There will always be a bottleneck somewhere, 120mb/s is allot of speed and most servers would be on a gigabit port unless it is a big business which means about 8 people would max the server.

I remember when I first got into web development years back I had a server on a 5 mb/s port!

I must say, it's quite funny when you think about it. UPC just bumped the 100Mb line to 120Mb, now since everyone with the free bump in speed is getting 125Mb+. It basically means that UPC just gave us the maximum speed Eircom or any other dsl provider can offer for free. Keeping in mind that nearly no one on a dsl connection actually gets the full 24Mb speed.

2021237586.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Didn't see a separate thread for the 25-30Mb uplift so I'll post here.

I got a txt msg this morning telling me I was being upgraded for free from 25 to 30...

2021243132.png

Thor wrote: »
    I must say, it's quite funny when you think about it. UPC just bumped the 100Mb line to 120Mb, now since everyone with the free bump in speed is getting 125Mb+. It basically means that UPC just gave us the maximum speed Eircom or any other dsl provider can offer for free. Keeping in mind that nearly no one on a dsl connection actually gets the full 24Mb speed.
    Now that is value for money.:D
    What can Eircom do about it?

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Now that is value for money.:D
    What can Eircom do about it?

Pretty much nothing, they can't afford to drop the prices and can't offer better speeds. At the end of the day, they really can't do anything.

Pretty much nothing, they can't afford to drop the prices and can't offer better speeds. At the end of the day, they really can't do anything.
    And even if the day did come that they were able to offer 100mb, UPC would be probably offering 200mb for 60 a month.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It basically means that UPC just gave us the maximum speed Eircom or any other dsl provider can offer for free.
    eircom can offer 150mbits VDSL, only in about 1% of Dublin though :)

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    eircom can offer 150mbits VDSL, only in about 1% of Dublin though :)

I'm pretty sure VDSL1 has a limit of 55Mbps and VDSL2 has a limit of 100Mb.

That being said, they are offering 150Mb line but that is because it's an Eircom/Magnet FTTH thing.

Even then, it is only available in like 1 area that has it and to be honest, that's useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I would just like to declare the fact that I hate all of you and your good connections.

Behold:
    2021408879.png

1640811_700b2.jpg

I would just like to declare the fact that I hate all of you and your good connections.

Behold:
    2021408879.png

Hopefully one day in the near future, either UPC will be there, or perhaps a more advance form of wireless other than 3G.

I do love the fact it says the full name of the company as your isp.

Vodafone Ireland LIMITED!!

got to love the irony.

Even then, it is only available in like 1 area that has it and to be honest, that's useless.

You can offer higher speeds on VDSL if you BOND two pairs but the problem would arise as to why poeple on VDSL get two free phone lines with no rental cost in whereas a non VDSL customer with the exact same loop length gotta pay €26 a month including VAT hust to rent their line. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Hopefully one day in the near future, either UPC will be there, or perhaps a more advance form of wireless other than 3G.

I do love the fact it says the full name of the company as your isp.

Vodafone Ireland LIMITED!!

got to love the irony.

I wish I could trade with someone who has 120mb UPC who just goes on facebook... It would only be fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Thank you UPC. Just gone from 30Mbs to 63.5Mbs ! North Co Dublin

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2021515854.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

On the 20mb package and have actually lost speed. Only getting 17-18mb/s where as only a few days ago I was getting 23 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

YAY! from 50 to 63.5 down, 6.35up. Another reason why I love UPC so much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Didn't receive a text message but after a power cycle my broadband speed has gone from 33Mb/s to 66 :D hurray!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

No text message but after a power cycle my bb speed went from 50Mb/s to 63,happy with that:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Anyone in Galway gotten a free speed upgrade ?? :(

Stone wrote: »
    Anyone in Galway gotten a free speed upgrade ?? :(

They never offered more than 50 in Galway did they??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If they offer 50 then they offer 100

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Behold:
    2021408879.png

On the plus side you're "faster than 46% of IE" :rolleyes:

we've all been there, less than 2 years ago I was paying Vodafone what I'm paying UPC now and struggling to get 3mb broadband on a good day

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    On the plus side you're "faster than 46% of IE" :rolleyes:

we've all been there, less than 2 years ago I was paying Vodafone what I'm paying UPC now and struggling to get 3mb broadband on a good day

You mean 56% which is shocking.

Although saying that, alot of people choose lower Mb lines even though faster is available.

The amount of people that can get a nice 120Mb line, but don't and are still paying Eircom something like €60 a month simply because they don't want the hassle.

You mean 56% which is shocking.

Although saying that, alot of people choose lower Mb lines even though faster is available.

The amount of people that can get a nice 120Mb line, but don't and are still paying Eircom something like €60 a month simply because they don't want the hassle.

No we're both wrong....you can't read and I can't subtract :D

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    No we're both wrong....you can't read and I can't subtract :D

Lol, I assumed they put faster than for all of them.

still close enough to even odds to be shocking enough.

I did hear some nice inside information that 200Mb will be coming soon. I'm guessing it will be after October sometime when they shut off the analog tv service.

I think it may possible be either a European wide speed increase or just Ireland, it would be great either way.

I could get 120Mb but I simply don't need it for my usage. Heck, even 25Mb is heaps for me. :)
    I did hear some nice inside information that 200Mb will be coming soon. I'm guessing it will be after October sometime when they shut off the analog tv service.
    UPC have no immediate plans to shut off analogue, it's only analogue terrestrial that's going off in October.

• Advertisement

Lol, I assumed they put faster than for all of them.

still close enough to even odds to be shocking enough.

I think it may possible be either a European wide speed increase or just Ireland, it would be great either way.

Meh ...I'm spoiled for what I have, 65mb does me fine for what I need

can appreciate those who could make use of those speeds mind, if they're there

Advertisement