Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Free Speed Increase (50-60Meg)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Karsini wrote: »
    UPC have no immediate plans to shut off analogue, it's only analogue terrestrial that's going off in October.
    Yeah, I hear so many people getting mixed up between RTE knocking off their analogue and UPC not knocking off their analogue!

If UPC do knock it off, for people with more than 1 tv but only 1 decoder,
    I expect shops to make a package on
    Remote Control Extender
    OmniLINK InfraRed Signal Extender
    Remote extender and RF modulator

as explained here on this TV boards.ie forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I was actually told by one of their managing technicians. He new what he was taking about and also told me about the 200Mb line and even mentioned that we would be getting bumped to 120Mb in a couple of months(this was a few months ago)

Now he really had no reason to lie, but said they will be knocking it off soon as more people steel it than buy it as nearly everyone who buys it get's digital instead.

I just assumed they would turn it off at the same time, but didn't confuse the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They never offered more than 50 in Galway did they??

Well - now they do :D
    I just called them and upgraded to the 50Mb package (don't need the 100Mb one to be honest - but it was nonetheless available) and I also got the 'free upgrade' to 60Mb .....
    Had to pay a fee to get the new modem as mine was the old old one ....

I guess Galway is now high speed enabled as well :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

I didn't get the text but thanks to boards, I turned the modem off and on and hey presto, It increased from:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 24600 kbps (3075 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2543 kbps (317.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 16 ms
    22 June 2012 12:21:22

To:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 31589 kbps (3948.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 3221 kbps (402.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 14 ms
    22 June 2012 12:24:46

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Are they increasing the usage limits?

• Advertisement

Are they increasing the usage limits?

Not likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

To be honest it is probably the usage limits that is allowing them to consistently upgrade connections. I got my text today moved from 20-25Mb/s:
    2023245179.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I have been bumped to 30mb, didnt get any text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

:D

2025049039.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Has anyone experienced network interruptions while they were being upgraded? A couple of days ago my network started dropping randomly for a while, and is still doing so. That's when I heard about these upgrades, but we haven't been contacted about any upgrade and according to speedtest we're still on 20MB/s. Just wondering if these recent problems could be related to the upgrades or if it's some other issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Got a text 2 days ago to say I was bumped to 30 from 25mb/s in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Gone from 25 to 30meg here in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 I Choose Bike

Has anyone experienced network interruptions while they were being upgraded? A couple of days ago my network started dropping randomly for a while, and is still doing so. That's when I heard about these upgrades, but we haven't been contacted about any upgrade and according to speedtest we're still on 20MB/s. Just wondering if these recent problems could be related to the upgrades or if it's some other issue.

I'm having loads of problems this weekend. Got the text on Fri and now none of devices are holding a connection. Windows 7 machines are only able to connect with a static IP and Android device wont connect at all. Connection is up and down but mostly down. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've powercycled the router a dozen times now - It's a crappy cisco router provided by UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

@MODS: Title should be adjusted so people dont think its just for 50Mb customers.

25Mb customer here: (got no text)
    599108_2251008572840_2006530460_n.jpg

Posted this on my FB to raise awareness for peeps:
    469649_2251009212856_572944557_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jmcgrath

I was on the old 30 Mbps deal with the old Bundle (TV and Phone incl.). Got a new router delivered one day. Now the internet is sometimes giving 60 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up, but more often that not its giving ~15-29 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up. Portlaoise.

So I'm slightly confused. Especially when the Ookla speedtest on the UPC site tells me 60 Mbps +, and the Ookla speedtest on their own website (speedtest.net) gives me under this mostly (after picking the lowest ping server).

So I don't seem to certain who is right.

Still paying 86 p/m though. The bundles deal on the web has 100mb for 81 Euro (basic tv and phone). Might downgrade to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

monster speeds

2030539940.png

2030567566.png
    My NIC card was the problem
    1Gbps NIC & Cat 6 cable = the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I'm up to 30 from 25 in Greystones.

No text but the upgrade is here :)

Getting a constant 3.9MB/s on downloads atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Showing 31Mb down and 3.1 up. No text nothing but they are apparently upgrading waterford and its 70% done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Doylers wrote: »
    Showing 31Mb down and 3.1 up. No text nothing but they are apparently upgrading waterford and its 70% done

Thanks was wondering when Waterford would get upgraded :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Never got a text, but got a letter (and my UPC bill) yesterday saying the speed had been bumped. I rebooted my router again and got 115Mb/s yesterday at around 1900 (I'd previously have been getting ~90Mb/s), so yaay! I guess they hadn't gotten around to my area when I rebooted last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I also got a note to-day that said the speed was increase from 20 to 25 and that there is a price increase by 1.99 per month, time to get the broadband ut and just use the iphone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It's been said a few times already. Existing customers will not be affected by the price increase.* :rolleyes:

* Unless you change your current package.
    Beaver1 wrote: »
    I also got a note to-day that said the speed was increase from 20 to 25 and that there is a price increase by 1.99 per month, time to get the broadband ut and just use the iphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Thanks was wondering when Waterford would get upgraded :)

Their business support is still claiming the new services (i.e. faster than 30Mb) won't be in Waterford till near the end of the year.

Heres the letter for anyone that hasn't got it yet

It's been said a few times already. Existing customers will not be affected by the price increase.* :rolleyes:

* Unless you change your current package.

No no were being charged more see the letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hmm.

I have it in writing that the broadband price increase will not affect existing customers (i didn't ask about the phone service, as I don't use it).

UPC even confirmed it again in writing this morning. :confused:
    Doylers wrote: »
    No no were being charged more see the letter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Believe it or not this speed increase has improved Irelands Broadband Speeds by around 1 Megabit across the board and the country has jumped from 56th in the world to 51st this week thanks to UPC.

Average DOWNLOAD speeds were 8.32mbits a week ago and are now up to 9.25mbits.

However!! Average UPLOAD speeds were 1.86mbits a week ago and are only up to 1.93mbits now.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

if I had 10mb it would be enough for me as I dont really download anythng, these surprise price increases seem to happen every year, do upc not relise we are in a recession.

• Advertisement

Beaver1 wrote: »
    if I had 10mb it would be enough for me as I dont really download anythng, these surprise price increases seem to happen every year, do upc not relise we are in a recession.

I think that's the whole point.
    If you can afford BB in a recession, then you can afford it at an extra few quid a month too.

Advertisement