Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Free Speed Increase (50-60Meg)

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

something very strange going on in Waterford atm with UPC, I had a dns server not responding issue yesterday for a good 2 hours, I tried everything to get it sorted bar resetting the EPC2425 router, because I have it in bridge mode with a netgear router. in the end i reset it and came back up and whilst i had the ethernet cable plugged in I did a speedtest and it came up with 31.73 meg, i said cant be right then did it again, sure enough 31.73 meg.

Reason I mentioned this is a friend of mine messaged me to say she got a letter to say they were upgrading her connection in Waterford but she had the epc2425which was also getting this magic 31.73 meg speed, so she called them and they sent out a new router not 2425. yet still reported 31.73 meg when doing speedtest. She rang them again and was only told then that upgrades werent available.

As I said weird

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2 microninja

bricks wrote: »
    I'm I missing something here, at the moment I'm on 20mbits for 25Euros + 7.5Euros per month standalone charge, so around 32.50Euros.

But looking at the current list of prices the cheapest is 37Euros + 7.50Euros. Which brings me up to 42.50Euros!

Thats a full 10Euro a month increase. Plese feel free to correct me tho.
    20mb with standalone is 33.50 roughly but its less if youve phone basic tel is only 6 on the internet and standalone fee is almost 8 i was told by an agent to get the phone and i didnt have to use it if i didnt want without penalty and also i checkd with the price increase as i was getting a replacement remote the agent told me if ur in a triple bundle that prices are staying same ive the select tv phone freetime and 50/60mb internet for like 71e
    maybe give them a ring to see what applies to u

• Registered Users Posts: 2 microninja

Arciphel wrote: »
    Well if they change freetime world package I'll be getting rid of the phone service, the only thing I use is the evening national calls.

They still have them and the anywhere 100 and 200 i opted for in march so i think they are just trying to promote them more also u can still opt for anytime over the phone cos my mom just switch over from crappy eircom and got all her local and national calls unlimited

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

microninja wrote: »
    Check out my speed in cork lol think might be a mistake

I'm assuming you photoshopped that image, I re-do it and photoshop out your IP address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Friends of ours just installed 100Meg last week. Now gettin 145! Disgusted I am, stuck on 30(not the bill payer :p ).

• Advertisement

I got the letter (after the upgrade) it does say the monthly charge is going up by €5 something a month, so it's not FREE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

shinzon wrote: »
    something very strange going on in Waterford atm with UPC, I had a dns server not responding issue yesterday for a good 2 hours, I tried everything to get it sorted bar resetting the EPC2425 router, because I have it in bridge mode with a netgear router. in the end i reset it and came back up and whilst i had the ethernet cable plugged in I did a speedtest and it came up with 31.73 meg, i said cant be right then did it again, sure enough 31.73 meg.

Reason I mentioned this is a friend of mine messaged me to say she got a letter to say they were upgrading her connection in Waterford but she had the epc2425which was also getting this magic 31.73 meg speed, so she called them and they sent out a new router not 2425. yet still reported 31.73 meg when doing speedtest. She rang them again and was only told then that upgrades werent available.

As I said weird

Shin

I got the price increase letter saying I was going from 30 to 60 for free. When I rebooted, I was only getting just under 32. I rang tech support and was told. Straight away said my router was not capable of speeds over 30mb.

So she offered to courier a new router out to me. So I will be expecting 60mb when I get it.

Got a letter from UPC saying package price would increase by €5.21 from August!

Got a letter from UPC saying package price would increase by €5.21 from August!

Yep, good old UPC, free = €5.21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i wish i could get UPC but they won't run a connection across the street :(

all the houses on my side of the street can't get it but all the ones on the opposite side can

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Yep, good old UPC, free = €5.21

A price increase is bad enough in itself but this continued idea on UPC'a part that they can continue to insult their customer's intelligence with this sort of "free" nonsense is infuriating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

The price increase is annoying, but I have no problem playing the increase for the extra 20MB speed they are giving. So doesn't bother me at the end of the day. Basically I mean they are actually giving us something and not just increasing the costs.

Also, no other ISP is offering anywhere near these speeds. So you get what you pay for, you can cancel or drop your speed and save a ton if you wish, so really doesn't change much at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

got the letter increasing me from 100 to 120mbps for a €1.50 increase. ill be paying €52.00 for phone and bb so. can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I just got a letter the other day detailing the improvements they made over past year, then at end this paragraph 'Unfortunately, due to factors outside of our control our costs have increased over the past year. As a result we have to make some changes to the price of your UPC services which will come into effect from your next bill in August 2012'.

It would be preferable if they could actually state the amount the bill was increasing by, consdiering I'm paying every 2 months via direct debit...

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    got the letter increasing me from 100 to 120mbps for a €1.50 increase. ill be paying €52.00 for phone and bb so. can't complain.

I have TV, Phone & 100meg BB and yet mines €5.21, how come yours is only going up €1.50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

maybe having TV brings it up that extra bit? fwiw, I don't use a phone at all. its not even plugged in.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    maybe having TV brings it up that extra bit? fwiw, I don't use a phone at all. its not even plugged in.

Must be the TV, might ditch it TBH, it's only for the kids room, ****e channels anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I got the letter from UPC 2 weeks ago saying they were upping the 100meg to 120 but I haven't seen a speed increase as of yet.

Advertisement