Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Broadband and Phone still not available in Lucan.

• 19-06-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,
    Could someone please explain this to me.
    Basically I am stuck here on mediocre Broadband In Lucan. I want to subscribe to UPC broadband and phone but it is not available in my area. About 9 months ago UPC were doing upgrades iny estate, attatching new cables to houses etc but yet broadband still isn't available. Its not as if We are in a blackspot because I have checked addresses in estates around us using UPC's online address checker and they all have the service.
    So I suppose what I am really confused about is why UPC just skipped my estate when installing broadband?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I'm in Lucan and all UPC services are available. I know people in other parts of Lucan have it too. What part of Lucan are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CBLFC96

Its about 2 mins away from woodies. Heading in the direction of Clondalkin/ Liffey valley. It is in the older part of Lucan,. but all the estates around bar one are also old and built at the same time as mine, and theyve all been upgraded to new cable. Forgot to mention that I ended up switching to Sky a year and a half ago because they couldn't even suuply HD down the cable (yes I'm sure its cable and not MMDS) this wasnt all bad however because I now know Skys Tv service is a lot better however I have used UPC broadband in Friends Houses and cannot get over how fast it is. Also the big allowances attract me to it.As well as the cheap home phone rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

CBLFC96 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Basically I am stuck here on mediocre Broadband In Lucan. I want to subscribe to UPC broadband and phone but it is not available in my area. About 9 months ago UPC were doing upgrades iny estate, attatching new cables to houses etc but yet broadband still isn't available. Its not as if We are in a blackspot because I have checked addresses in estates around us using UPC's online address checker and they all have the service.
    So I suppose what I am really confused about is why UPC just skipped my estate when installing broadband?
    Thanks

I'm in precisely the same situation in Monkstown in County Dublin. In my case it's 15 months since they put up the new cables on my road. However they never finished the job and like you I still can't get Phone and Broadband. Also like you other areas not far away can get all the services. I emailed networkupgrade@upc.ie to let them know about it. Can't say the reponse has been satisfactory so far in that they haven't given me any idea when I might be able to get the services. I would say it would still be worth your while emailing them anyway, just to let them know about it if nothing else.

Flip Flop wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks

I'm in precisely the same situation in Monkstown in County Dublin. In my case it's 15 months since they put up the new cables on my road. However they never finished the job and like you I still can't get Phone and Broadband. Also like you other areas not far away can get all the services. I emailed [EMAIL="networkupgrade@upc.ie"]networkupgrade@upc.ie[/EMAIL] to let them know about it. Can't say the reponse has been satisfactory so far in that they haven't given me any idea when I might be able to get the services. I'd would say it would still be worth your while emailing them anyway, just to let them know about it if nothing else.

Hi its kind of reassuring to know im not alone with this problem. I have been on to UPC for an explanation but the answer I get everytime is 'we will pass your query on to our management Team' but of course Ive never heard anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 gives a bite baby

Flip Flop wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks

I'm in precisely the same situation in Monkstown in County Dublin. In my case it's 15 months since they put up the new cables on my road. However they never finished the job and like you I still can't get Phone and Broadband. Also like you other areas not far away can get all the services. I emailed [EMAIL="networkupgrade@upc.ie"]networkupgrade@upc.ie[/EMAIL] to let them know about it. Can't say the reponse has been satisfactory so far in that they haven't given me any idea when I might be able to get the services. I'd would say it would still be worth your while emailing them anyway, just to let them know about it if nothing else.

Hi its kind of reassuring to know im not alone with this problem. I have been on to UPC for an explanation but the answer I get everytime is 'we will pass your query on to our management Team' but of course Ive never heard anything.

Its more than likely a house owner somewhere on the way has not let the cable pass through there property . May not be cost effective to bring it underground either. Constant problem with overhead cables. 99 % of the time there are ways around but you seem to be part of the unlucky 1 % . ; )

• Advertisement

Its more than likely a house owner somewhere on the way has not let the cable pass through there property . May not be cost effective to bring it underground either. Constant problem with overhead cables. 99 % of the time there are ways around but you seem to be part of the unlucky 1 % . ; )

Yes that could well be the case. If it is the case I wish UPC would be honest with me and tell me. Then I would accept it and move on. Instead they promised us we would be able to get Phone and Broadband within 12 weeks of works starting, it never happened and then they never said another word to us. When I contacted them about it they issued a bland statement telling me that works are still continuing in my area, despite the fact that there has been no evidence of such works for a year now. Nobody else I've spoken to will give me a reason either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There are reports on boards though of people who have been cabled up and even told by a network engineer on their road that it was upgraded yet the address checker wasn't changed. UPC are unbelievably bad when it comes to the address checker and availability aspect. At least there's usually a good reason for not passing the eircom broadband test nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Hi,
    Thanks

Forget the address checker ring them.

There are reports on boards though of people who have been cabled up and even told by a network engineer on their road that it was upgraded yet the address checker wasn't changed. UPC are unbelievably bad when it comes to the address checker and availability aspect. At least there's usually a good reason for not passing the eircom broadband test nowadays.

I can't speak for CBLFC96 but in my case the Address Checker is accurate. When I look at the new cables that were attached to my apartment block, I can see that they are free standing and not connected either to the cables going into each apartment or the cables from the building beside me. I can get HD because they updated the cables in the road but I can't get Phone and Broadband because they didn't complete the cabling on my building and others on the road.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will definately follow this up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

The address checker showed that my address could get triple play a while ago. I rang them and they confirmed. THEY WERE WRONG.

I have the same issue as what I suspect you have OP. Neighbours blocking the cable on their property and thus blocking it for everyone else.

Advertisement