Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef,pork,chicken suppliers

Options
  • 19-06-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

A question for anyone here who owns a restaurant or similar on here

Which supplier do you get your meat from,what's cheapest way to go?

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

There's a great place in Laois called Feile Foods just beside my office, they do a roaring trade in supplying butchers and restaurants. Top quality stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

Was gonna suggest Feile Foods too.... Great bargains too..

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Its exactly this kind of website that puts me off doing business with a company like this.

They have a nice product offering, and look like they want to do business, and yet as far as this potential purchaser is concerned they fall at the first hurdle.

Why do so many Irish websites fail to display prices ?.

This company has compounded this by showing a price list for last Christmas, if they expect to get orders from their website they should at the very least have some sample prices that they update on a weekly basis.

Rant over.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

:rolleyes:

It's a wholesale meat business. If you have to ask that question it's likely your not in their target audience.

1. They don't want everybody knowing how much they sell the meat to their local butcher and restaurant for.
    2. It's an open market, price of cattle etc varies week to week as would their prices.
    3. People can't buy online - so there is no incentive for them to spend money updating the site daily / weekly.
    4. Wholesale prices are nearly always subject to the volumes you purchase.

I've had the pleasure of meeting the owner and he told me they dont want to be taking orders via the website. (I disagree as i would buy meat online and their is precedent for it working but that's their model). They have a factory store for small customers (for everything from getting the family dinner to a small restaurant). Then they have their core businesses which is repeat customers like hotels, butchers and restaurants.

I find it so ironic that people want the absolute lowest prices for products in an industry like this and then complain that they aren't spending money on doing things that would drive up their prices and add absolutely no value.

For example Portlaoise Prison gave a contract for its meat to a UK company because they could operate cheaper and therefore could quote about 1% cheaper on the tender. A government institution sending money and jobs outside the country, importing foreign meat and penalizing farmers. Just because these guys have higher wages and taxes than its UK counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Good point Ronan, absolutely disgraceful and just unbelievable that a state body would outsource any contract outside of Ireland. Talk about an opportunity to create some jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

That's a disgrace for portlaoise prison to buy outside the country with Enda and his cronies making us feel guilty if we don't buy Irish, If at all possible i support local produce

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrJM

Good point Ronan, absolutely disgraceful and just unbelievable that a state body would outsource any contract outside of Ireland. Talk about an opportunity to create some jobs.

Well they obviously would if they can make more money, even supervalu sources cheap suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

:rolleyes:

It's a wholesale meat business. If you have to ask that question it's likely your not in their target audience.

1. They don't want everybody knowing how much they sell the meat to their local butcher and restaurant for.
    2. It's an open market, price of cattle etc varies week to week as would their prices.
    3. People can't buy online - so there is no incentive for them to spend money updating the site daily / weekly.

I've had the pleasure of meeting the owner and he told me they dont want to be taking orders via the website. (I disagree as i would buy meat online and their is precedent for it working but that's their model). They have a factory store for small customers (for everything from getting the family dinner to a small restaurant). Then they have their core businesses which is repeat customers like hotels, butchers and restaurants.

I find it so ironic that people want the absolute lowest prices for products in an industry like this and then complain that they aren't spending money on doing things that would drive up their prices and add absolutely no value.

For example Portlaoise Prison gave a contract for its meat to a UK company because they could operate cheaper and therefore could quote about 1% cheaper on the tender. A government institution sending money and jobs outside the country, importing foreign meat and penalizing farmers. Just because these guys have higher wages and taxes than its UK counterparts.

I agree it is a wholesale meat business, my point is if they are going to go to the trouble of having an on line presence they should have some sample prices on the site to encourage potential customers to contact them.

I don't understand your point (whilst rolling your eyes) that I might not be in their target audience, any person that visits the website of wholesaler that supplies both domestic and commercial customers is part of their target audience.(FYI I buy wholesale quantities of beef and chicken on a regular basis).

I think that most people understand that a restaurant or butcher would be buying in larger quantities and would therefore be getting a price based on purchase volume.

In my experience when I'm buying from a wholesaler I don't expect his prices to fluctuate on a weekly basis. I have never known this to be the case in dealing with any supplier.

I agree, I wouldn't expect this type of business to update their website on a daily or weekly basis but a few sample prices to entice customers to phone them wouldn't be that difficult to have on the site.

Current specials 30 chicken fillets for only €25

Known in the business as throwing a sprat to catch a salmon

I agree, to a point, you will only get the price that the wholesaler can afford to supply you at regardless of the volume you purchase.

The rest of your response to my post had nothing to do with the point I raised.

I personally find it frustrating that so many websites that purport to be an on line shop window for a business fall down when it comes to actually having any price for goods displayed.

Regards,

Fries.

Advertisement