Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Positive Images of Irish Roads for Commercial use

• 19-06-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys,

I'm at my wits end with a task I have for a client and was wondering if any of you could offer some assistance. I need to find some "positive images of Irish roads".

We were thinking something along the lines of the Harp shaped bridge on the Liffey, the bridge at Drogheda, the M50 etc.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I've already tried Failte Ireland, Discover Ireland and pretty much every tourism website I could think of. The pictures need to look good but don't have to be professionally taken.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

If ye can't find a decent photo of the "Harp shaped bridge on the Liffey" you need to consider a career change :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Everybody loves speed ramps!

AF78E42EB5464EE788EDC95434E9B595-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16 keithdigi

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    If ye can't find a decent photo of the "Harp shaped bridge on the Liffey" you need to consider a career change :D

:) Cheers. Ah there's loads out there no doubt but we need them for commercial use and we wont use an image without the owners permission.

Gaggles out there for commercial use too. Do you mean you'd like them for commercial use and free :eek:

Gaggles out there for commercial use too. Do you mean you'd like them for commercial use and free :eek:

No not necessarily free. We'd anyone love to talk to anyone with images for sale that fit the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Go to Flickr and search for particular roads/bridges. You're bound to find some cool stuff.

Just make sure to message the photographer and ask permission before using them.

Here's a search for your 'harp-shaped bridge', otherwise known as the Samuel Beckett bridge.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=samuel%20beckett%20bridge

edit: a lot of photographers will probably be willing to let you use them for free, as long as you credit them.

djgaillimh wrote: »
    Go to Flickr and search for particular roads/bridges. You're bound to find some cool stuff.

Just make sure to message the photographer and ask permission before using them.

Here's a search for your 'harp-shaped bridge', otherwise known as the Samuel Beckett bridge.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=samuel%20beckett%20bridge

The Samuel Beckett bridge I couldn't for the life of me think of the name of it.

I've been using Flickr but to no avail. Any of the photographers I've emailed haven't got back to me as of yet but hopefully over the coming days.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Thanks a million for the help. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I always like the view of the Waterford suspension/bypass bridge:

pix here from flickr :)

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I always like the view of the Waterford suspension/bypass bridge:

pix here from flickr :)

Wow looks fantastic. I am completely ignorant when it comes to great looking bridges/roads in Ireland so any suggestions are very welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I can't believe people are directing him to go to pix.ie and flickr to take someone's images for commercial use. There's plenty of stock photography websites out there if you're stuck.

I can't believe people are directing him to go to pix.ie and flickr to take someone's images for commercial use. There's plenty of stock photography websites out there if you're stuck.

As I've said before the only way we're going to use ANY image is if we have FULL consent of the owner of the image.

I've found plenty of images on Flickr and other photo sharing websites but I'm awaiting reply from the owner for their permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

keithdigi wrote: »
    As I've said before the only way we're going to use ANY image is if we have FULL consent of the owner of the image.

I've found plenty of images on Flickr and other photo sharing websites but I'm awaiting reply from the owner for their permission.

So you've absolutely no plans to pay any photographer for their work even?

So you've absolutely no plans to pay any photographer for their work even?

As I've mentioned in this thread already we're more than happy to pay anyone for images if they fit the requirements. We never expected to get any images for free that's why in every one of the 25+ emails I've sent payment for use has been stated.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The Harp Shaped bridge is hardly a good example of positive images of Irish roads as it is very restricted in how to cross the river in order to maintain revenue on the tolled East link bridge.

There'd be very few Dubliners with a positive view of the full use of this bridge.

The harp shaped bridge would have been easily googled to get its correct name.

Your trying to pull pics of a bridge you don't know the name of, pics regardless of quality, on the cheap? A bridge that on the whole is negative to users.

Are you sure you're on the clients brief?

humberklog wrote: »
    The Harp Shaped bridge is hardly a good example of positive images of IKrish roads as it is very restricted in how to cross the river in order to maintain revenue on the tolled East link bridge.

There'd be very few Dubliners with a positive view of the full use of this bridge.

Your trying to pull pics of a bridge you don't know the name of, pics regardless of quality, on the cheap of a bridge that on the whole is negative to users?

Hmmm.

I know of plenty of bridges but when it comes to their names I'm completely clueless. I've received some fantastic suggestions from people here already that I would have never known of.

The images aren't there as a guide of where we're suggesting you drive. I wouldn't recommend anyone driving in town. Take a bus/luas/bike it.

Naturally they have to be of good quality? Hence offering to pay for them. If quality didn't matter I would have taken a few on my phone on the way to work.

Point 100% taken on Googling in the future.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Here's an Irish road. Is this positive enough or is it specifically bridges you want?

9F6F8B09F4BA4C468E3FD3F8FAF433D4-0000320339-0002880344-00640L-A715AC64AF3F4C639714E37D52F0B49A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jonnybangbang

The Harp Shaped bridge is hardly a good example of positive images of Irish roads as it is very restricted in how to cross the river in order to maintain revenue on the tolled East link bridge.

Your trying to pull pics of a bridge you don't know the name of, pics regardless of quality, on the cheap? A bridge that on the whole is negative to users.

I have to disagree with everything said above. Your jumping to conclusions with everything you said from the "views on Dubliners". ( have you done a market research to come to this conclusion or is this your views which you think is the view of all people? ) to the view that keithdigi is looking for Cheap mixed quality images. he hasn't said he is looking for cheap. all he has said is he is willing to pay. he has contacted the photographers to get permission and awaiting response.

Do you know what he's offered for the photos and what photos he has picked? If so then I apologise for my rant and you obviously know what your talking about.

Here's an Irish road. Is this positive enough or is it specifically bridges you want?

9F6F8B09F4BA4C468E3FD3F8FAF433D4-0000320339-0002880344-00640L-A715AC64AF3F4C639714E37D52F0B49A.jpg

:) great picture and thanks a million for the input. Not exactly what I was thinking though. I was hoping for a car or two in the image which is really something I should have mentioned before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Seriously, have you even read the thread? Your comment "Your trying to pull pics of a bridge you don't know the name of, pics regardless of quality, on the cheap?" would suggest not.

I use that bridge all the time and I'm a Dubliner. Personally I think it looks great and is definitely a positive economic symbol for Ireland. Not sure where you got the idea that he was looking for roads around the country that gave people a positive User Experience.

I'm sure keithdigi was hoping people here might have some good/cool photo's of
    bridges/roads he could credit and/or buy rights to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Any of these to your liking (my photos)
    6888444861_a141f8f60f.jpg
    Driving into the sun by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

4377128796_cee4b665e3.jpg
    The Lone Rider by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

keithdigi wrote: »
    :) great picture and thanks a million for the input. Not exactly what I was thinking though. I was hoping for a car or two in the image which is really something I should have mentioned before.

Cars you say? Here ya go, the M11 last year:

9D01E1E6F12A4361BFCE7D8F70E65D3A-0000336212-0002142131-00800L-0C5B28F23A1546738C782F642E8F6A39.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

CD142C7CD89E4ABE8F01FDC1C8CC56B1-0000336177-0002238051-00640L-D2D9AB0ED1C44DF8AEA9FBB4F03C6697.jpg
    3D566AA1ADC34B23BED648931C2071F1-0000336177-0002246623-00640L-4620394DF4EC4633B2814B84F638F84B.jpg
    My favourite..
    F84D1D07623844A38709B0F5720385CF-0000336177-0002153161-00640L-62C03C1CF2B34CB1834D2B666AC9C918.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

I actually explicitly reminded him to seek the photographer's permission before using them.

What's with the negativity?

Flickr is a great resource and if he's got a limited budget it's a good place to look, since it's populated largely by amateur photographers - some of whom are as talented as any pro and might not request a fee at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

A couple of mine from North of the Border?

42CEA0523FCB48E6BF038FC2825DD620-0000329804-0002618201-00640L-5A6539FA30854AC1A95E546CC26DC02D.jpg
    or
    73EAFFAB1FBE491C8FD793AAD14ADACD-0000329804-0002607153-00640L-32C3D1F47D7442DB8663BF3FD809C8DB.jpg

A couple of mine from North of the Border?

42CEA0523FCB48E6BF038FC2825DD620-0000329804-0002618201-00640L-5A6539FA30854AC1A95E546CC26DC02D.jpg
    or
    73EAFFAB1FBE491C8FD793AAD14ADACD-0000329804-0002607153-00640L-32C3D1F47D7442DB8663BF3FD809C8DB.jpg

They're unbelievable. I'll PM you on these. Great pictures.

People will be pleased to know that after posting this thread we've found a number of highly talented Irish photographers who we're not only hoping to do business with on this project but in the future too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Seriously lads, there is no pleasing some people. It's a rarity these days that people are actually upfront about needing photos which they are willing to credit the photographer for and also pay for. Give them a break!

Not sure if there is enough road in this photo but here it is anyway:

6633791615_6173740ca8_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Some nice shots.

• Advertisement

I take nearly all my photos on streets or roads but don't have a shot of a street or road ..:eek:

Advertisement