Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A dog/animal lovers dilemma

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Get a new dog but keep in mind what mistakes you made. Ignore those blaming you for what happened, not your fault, sure there are things you could have done better but thats life. No one is perfect, although some judgmental people on the internet might think they are.

I'd suggest a golden retriever, a nice, gentle dog. Getting a new puppy might benefit your son, getting him used to dogs before any fear has time to stew.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OhLongJohnson

Get a new dog but keep in mind what mistakes you made. Ignore those blaming you for what happened, not your fault, sure there are things you could have done better but thats life. No one is perfect, although some judgmental people on the internet might think they are.

I'd suggest a golden retriever, a nice, gentle dog. Getting a new puppy might benefit your son, getting him used to dogs before any fear has time to stew.

Good luck :)
    What complete and utter f ucking nonsense.

1: IrishHomer is 100% responsible for what happened to both his son and his "beloved" dog. 100%.
    2: There is no such thing as a "gentle" dog. Their temperament is the result of their environment.

Your ignorance is absolutely astounding and I've no idea why you feel you should offer advice on something you clearly haven't a f ucking clue about.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OhLongJohnson

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice wow I thought I was always a good dog owner every dog I had got a brilliant life full of attention from me. Lots of walks, attention 24/7 etc.

Smothering a dog in attention does not equate to loving it or giving it a good life.
    Never realised there was so many upper class perfect dog people out there I never see them where I live.

Ah yes, ignoring advice again, are we? Take a good look at your sons scarred face tonight and tell us how well that worked out last time for you? That was the product of ignoring advice and well, what great results, eh?

Or what length or risks are you willing to take again in order to delude yourself that you know best further?

I have to say, I'm not jealous that you'll get a reminder of your wisdom and attitude every time you look at your son's face for the rest of your life. That's kind of a sentence in itself, just as you hand the dogs you "love" so much when you take them into your home.

I expect some trouble over this post but I don't care, the ignorance and attitude you've consistently displayed here towards people who both know better than you and are merely trying to help you out warrants some comment. I will clue you into something here, you listening? Nobody here has ANYTHING to gain by telling you you're unfit to have a dog in that home. Nothing! What they are doing, however, is looking out for the welfare of animals and of your kids, who you seem to relegate to the back seat so much so that, as your initial post suggested, you've actually contemplated a life by yourself and what you'd do with it, down to exactly how many dogs you would have!

Get your priorities in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, my dogs are mine, I brought them into the house, I pay their keep, ultimately I am the person responsible for them.

Now, just to be clear, I work full-time, I am not here for at least 9 hours a day and my dogs are here with my mum, the resident 5 year old and the three kids from next door when I'm not here. I did not bring these dogs into this house without fully consulting everyone who was going be in close quarters with them and without full agreement from every single one of those people I would not have got them. Every single person in the house is responsible for the day to day care of those dogs, everyone is involved in their training, exercise and abides by the same 'dog rules'. My mum walks my terrier the half mile to the bus everyday to get the kids and one of the kids takes control of the lead and walks her back. My dogs are fully integrated as part of the extended family unit, everything from choosing the breeds, to training methods used, to the dogs daily routine was decided with the whole family unit in mind. No training methods are used by adults that would not be suitable for the youngest member to attempt to copy. There is no two ways about it, this is how it has to be done. If one of the dogs decides it likes someone else more than me then that's just tough, they're dogs - living breathing creatures who can make choices as to their own preferences. It doesn't matter if one dog has a special bond with one person when they are managed in this way, but to allow a dog to become so obsessed with one member of a household that it poses a danger to the others is completely crazy to be quite frank. In all honesty it's becoming very clear as to where your problems have all stemmed from.

These are the first two dogs that have ever been deliberately brought into my house, all previous dogs were dumped here, wandered in, or found starving to death in a field somewhere, none where treated any differently to these two. Once you have assumed the role of care-giver, by default you assume the responsibility. It doesn't matter if the dog was brought in by one person, wandered in off the street or came as part of a package deal - you fully integrate that dog with the entire family unit. Dogs are huge pack animals, it's the entire basis of all their behaviours and instincts and any dog kept in a household needs complete integration or you risk huge damage to it's mental stability as a family pet. I would be almost sure that this is what you have just witnessed with the incident involving your son.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Thanks for the advice wow I thought I was always a good dog owner every dog I had got a brilliant life full of attention from me. Lots of walks, attention 24/7 etc.

Smothering a dog in attention does not equate to loving it or giving it a good life.
    Never realised there was so many upper class perfect dog people out there I never see them where I live.

Ah yes, ignoring advice again, are we? Take a good look at your sons scarred face tonight and tell us how well that worked out last time for you?

Or what length or risks are you willing to take again in order to delude yourself that you know best further?

Eh I did take on the advice from this forum actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Thanks for all the advice I won't help out any more dogs seemingly I'm not worthy mods you can lock this thread I have had enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Thanks for all the advice I won't help out any more dogs seemingly I'm not worthy mods you can lock this thread I have had enough.

Poor me poor me poor me what about your son??? Your son is just out of hospital with 22 stitches and you seem far more concerned with being childish and brattish on the internet. Surprised you haven't mentioned yet how much money you've spent on your internet access, since money is how you seem to measure everything.

By the way, allowing your son to torment the dog to the point of it attacking him, is not "helping" a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

But this the thing OP, with that dog you were like the cool uncle or fun grandparent. You gave him all the walks he needed, plenty of good food, a comfortable place to sleep and plenty of fun, interaction and affection. No-one would fault you for that. And it clearly comes naturally to you to give that love and attention. You obviously feel a lot of love for your dogs and want to make them happy which does show in your posts.

But the thing is dog ownership isn't just about making the dog happy. It's about controlling the dog and any situation the dog is in, making sure the dog is always emotionally secure in the household, ensuring the relationships between your children, your partner in the dogs are harmonious and healthy. Sometimes that will mean not being the fun-good guy which is really, really tough sometimes but it has to be done for the dog to truly be secure. You have to be in a place where you both understand that and are ready and able to do the parts that don't come so naturally to you as the dog needs you to be able to do that every bit as much as they need the parts you are good at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Well that's fine, just in closing the one thing I will ask of you is not to make any rash decisions either way. Give yourself plenty time to digest all that has happened in the last week. If you feel like revisiting this again a good idea might be to ask for resources for new dog owners (ie. start from scratch with a blank slate, take your time and don't feel compelled to post, you can make your decision of a period of months while you mull over what to do from here. You are also welcome to drop me a PM at any time.

Locking by request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement