Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1971 MG MGB Classic - Help!

• 19-06-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

It kind of kills me to post this here as I am scared it is going to get snapped up but...I have just seen this car and have been completely bowled over and am keen to buy it. Wanted to ask if anyone could offer any advice on what to look out for / listen out for that may identify potential problems when I go to view?

Does anyone here have personal experience with MGs?
    How are they for parts? how are they to drive, how are they for insurance?
    Any information at all appreciated.

2191201_06_product_detail_large.jpg?1339979172
    2191201_03_product_detail_large.jpg?1339979076
    2191201_01_product_detail_large.jpg?1339981926

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

jaygile wrote: »
    It kind of kills me to post this here as I am scared it is going to get snapped up but...I have just seen this car and have been completely bowled over and am keen to buy it. Wanted to ask if anyone could offer any advice on what to look out for / listen out for that may identify potential problems when I go to view?

Does anyone here have personal experience with MGs?
    How are they for parts? how are they to drive, how are they for insurance?
    Any information at all appreciated.

2191201_06_product_detail_large.jpg?1339979172
    2191201_03_product_detail_large.jpg?1339979076
    2191201_01_product_detail_large.jpg?1339981926

Rust is the biggest enemy on these. Sills rusting and bodge jobs done on them. Plenty stuff available for them in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Moved to classic cars, better suited here.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jaygile

i presume the best way to spot any rust is give it a once over and see if there's any nasty looking marks on the surface. can rust be completely hidden but cause a load of hassle in a couple of months?

in your opinion should i avoid altogether if i spot any rust? ...not worth the hassle?

Google MGOC spares and you will see what's available, parts wise.

Moved to classic cars, better suited here.

oh, thanks!

• Advertisement

It's hard to get a good one at this stage. They are a very nice motor though. All cars of that vintage were very prone to rust. Make sure to have a proper look at it for the old "tin worm" or get someone with a bit of experience to look at it with you. If you are lucky and it was garaged properly, then it would be worth it.

johnayo wrote: »
    If you are lucky and it was garaged properly, then it would be worth it.
    I hope I am, absolute stunner of a car.

Other than the rust issue, is there anything else you can think of that I should bear in mind when viewing?
    My impression is they are well made cars, and it will be easy to tell straight away whether it has been looked after well or not.
    If not, I think I will leave it as I don't want to be getting myself into a big mess.

I wonder if it is over a certain number of miles on the clock should I consider leaving it. Anyway. I guess I just need to go and view it. Thanks for the input, and the link to the parts. Much appreciated!
    Please feel free to share any other info you think of too I will keep an eye here in the meantime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

MGB's are basic cars and are quite robust so rust is the major concern and almost every thing is available including new body shells but I'd recommend that if you're not into spending big money on repairs then buy one with a good body with it's rust issues already resolved because the most expensive thing to put right is bodywork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

My advice is to buy the best you can buy and they are very cheap now compared to what they were making a few years ago. Bring someone who knows a bit about them with you when you're looking and don't buy the first one you see. Have a good drive in one too, they're really only a Morris Minor in a fancy suit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Rust anywhere peeking through and any kind of smoke from the exhaust are what I'd be looking for.

To be honest though I really think you should try and get anyone who knows about older cars along. I think it appears smashing, and decent value, but rust underneath could turn it into a moneypit and end in tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

don't know anything about mg but take a good look over the body.
    if anywhere looks like it has had recent work take a weak magnet with you
    and place it on the area.if it's filler the magnet won't stick.try and avoid a strong magnet as that will pick up rusty metal under the filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

I used to own a 66 MGB. As everyone has said, rust can be a big problem, check door sills and under the floor mats. Also, check the petrol tank, I had mine rust through and start leaking petrol, not a good experience!

One other problem that springs to mind is 1st gear is prone to go bad before the others, so any unusual noise whilie in first would be a no-no for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

bugsntinas wrote: »
    don't know anything about mg but take a good look over the body.
    if anywhere looks like it has had recent work take a weak magnet with you
    and place it on the area.if it's filler the magnet won't stick.try and avoid a strong magnet as that will pick up rusty metal under the filler.
    This to me is a bull**** method!I've seen cars that have good welding done and require a good skin of filler so you're weak magnet will condom it as a piece of junk. It's OK if we all lived in a perfect world where you can just go and buy new panels but unfortunately if the car is uncommon there just isn't new panels available! This shouldn't apply to an MGB tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

Hi I am currently and have been working on one or 5 years..

Cills and check where they meet the floor pans
    Castle rails !!
    Inner cills down by the pedals
    A post
    In wheel arch to rear and up behind head lamp
    Around the chrome OF headlamp in the recess
    Rear wing open boot put hand behind c post panal from bottom feel around prone area
    Around windscreen area especially bottom left and right
    Bottom of Doors
    If it has spax shocks check how they were fitted and the area around same on inner wing!!

Engine and gearbox are easy and inexpensive compared to body work...
    Check for good oil pressure especially when hot.
    Check over drive is working
    Check for waves in paint work...

oh going into depression now with the thoughts of it... if you want pm your number and I will call you if you want

fantastic responses thanks everyone I really appreciate that alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bjak

Take a look at the first few episodes of An MG is Born - available on You Tube for the problem areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXBruMA8S8

Advertisement