Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee shop on Amiens St.

Options
  • 19-06-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

I walk down Amiens street a fair bit in the mornings and I notice that there's a group of people that tend to always hang around two places on opposite sides of the road. I'm assuming one is a hostel of some sort because they're always on the steps. The other place is a coffee shop that only seems to open in the mornings.

What's the deal with the coffee shop? Is it charity-run? Just really curious about it. The group seem a bit rough at first glance, but I've never seen any trouble from them. Are they in recovery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If the place with the steps you are talking about is nextdoor to a modern looking apartment block then it's a methadone clinic.Used to work near there years ago,no end of problems from it's customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You're looking at a HSE clinic

As said above it serves methadone

Those people hang around all day

I doubt the residents in the office building are happy but to be honest they can have no complaint, that clinic has been there a long time.
    They would have known before they moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Wait, the coffee shop is the clinic? Or the place with the steps? They seem to flock from one to the other, seen a few narrowly avoid being hit by cars. That'd explain a lot anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't know this coffee shop you're talking about

But yes, the place with the steps is the clinic. You'll see a plaque on the wall showing this

The "clients" hang around all day, every day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The coffee shop is just in an unfortunate location - a lot of the hse clients like to go there. Others in that location or nearby haven't lasted, for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I know the coffee shop you're talking about, tbh I'm more comfortable walking on the side with the clinic on it. I find Amiens st way dodgier in the mornings than at night, am I weird? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

It's quiet enough at night alright,I often walk through there at 11pm/midnight and the street is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

I know the coffee shop you're talking about, tbh I'm more comfortable walking on the side with the clinic on it. I find Amiens st way dodgier in the mornings than at night, am I weird? :P

I've definitely noticed the crowds more in the mornings, but never had any trouble from them, to be fair. I'm not a fan of the place in the early evening though, too many scumbag kids hanging around the Centra on the corner. At least whenever I've walked down there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I've definitely noticed the crowds more in the mornings, but never had any trouble from them, to be fair. I'm not a fan of the place in the early evening though, too many scumbag kids hanging around the Centra on the corner. At least whenever I've walked down there...

Yeah I'd agree with that, they're always stopping me asking me to buy fags for them...Luckily I can still pass off as 17 and be like sorry can't :P

Advertisement