Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S3 from UK on Irish Three

Options
  • 19-06-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Just got the Galaxy S3 phone and having problems with Data connection over 3G. Bought the phone in UK (phone is simlock free) - now the phone only connects when the Roaming Data is On (and using it locally, not traveling) and is extremely slow. The rest of the functions work as normal, but every single option using data is very very slow.

When I turn off Data Roaming there is no connection to the internet at all.

Fella in the Three store told me i should flash the phone, but I am not entirely sure how to do it and most of all not sure if this is the way to go.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, Three phones work better with their own software, I had a Galaxy S2 that was useless on Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Yeah, Three phones work better with their own software, I had a Galaxy S2 that was useless on Three.
    SO what did you do, any way around that? Should be a way to use non-Three purchased phone I guess?

Just checked and it is actually going through roaming services charging extra instead of using the "local" internet connection.

og2k7 wrote: »
    SO what did you do, any way around that? Should be a way to use non-Three purchased phone I guess?

Just checked and it is actually going through roaming services charging extra instead of using the "local" internet connection.

Roaming needs to be switched on, it will roam on to Vodafone GPRS when 3G isn't available, the problem is it will leave you there... Are you sure you're bsing charged for Vodafone data?

I cancelled my contract and went with another provider.

...but yeah, I would try flashing a Three firmware first.

Flash instructions are here -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

The firmware here

Ireland (Three)
    Product Code: GT-I9300MBD3IE
    Version: Android 4.0.4
    HIDSWVER: I9300XXALE8/I93003IEALE3/I9300NELE4/I9300XXALE8

http://fus.nanzen.se/#

It's pretty easy, if you've done it once... but plenty on here can guide you through it if you're unsure.

• Advertisement

Flash instructions are here -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

The firmware here

Ireland (Three)
    Product Code: GT-I9300MBD3IE
    Version: Android 4.0.4
    HIDSWVER: I9300XXALE8/I93003IEALE3/I9300NELE4/I9300XXALE8

http://fus.nanzen.se/#

It's pretty easy, if you've done it once... but plenty on here can guide you through it if you're unsure.
    Thanks very much, will give it a go after the game :)

I think that the phone is in roaming mode even though I am using it locally, weird one, seriously

Thanks very much, will give it a go after the game :)

I think that the phone is in roaming mode even though I am using it locally, weird one, seriously

Yep, roaming on to Vodafone. Getting back on to Three is the problem as without the Three software your phone just doesn't want to...

Loads of threads on it here -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367

Thanks, got this to work (finally) - only problem is, it would sporadically switch to Roaming Mode for no reason, only to go back to normal 3G mode after 20 seconds.

Thanks again for help !

Thanks, got this to work (finally) - only problem is, it would sporadically switch to Roaming Mode for no reason, only to go back to normal 3G mode after 20 seconds.

Thanks again for help !

It'll drive you crazy, I'm tellin ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

Thanks again for help !

I "think" what its actually doing is not actually "roaming" but switching over to Vodafones 2g network (ie theres no 3 3g coverage )

if thats what it is, its not really a big deal

• Advertisement

MrTrebus wrote: »

Thanks again for help !

I "think" what its actually doing is not actually "roaming" but switching over to Vodafones 2g network (ie theres no 3 3g coverage )

if thats what it is, its not really a big deal
    Yeah, normally wouldnt be, but since i last checked ran out of credit and had over 10 quid left. Will switch to Meteor I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

Yeah, normally wouldnt be, but since i last checked ran out of credit and had over 10 quid left. Will switch to Meteor I think.

shouldn't affect your credit I dont think ?
    3 is designed that way, it deliberately goes over to vodafone if it cant lock onto a 3 3g signal !

Advertisement