Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up a Semi-Pro football club

• 19-06-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Before i start this thread this is only a pipe dream that will probably never happen but i always thought it was a real shame that Clare never had any team competing in the LOI and i always thought that there was a real opportunity to set one up.

How much funding would be required and would there be any assistance with from the FAI ?

How big a stadium would be required for a small team that plans on growing in the long run.

How would the team go about recruiting players would it be illegal to recruit the best players from the local leagues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Also thought about this as a dream too :pac: Same kinda dream as imagining burglars breaking in and opening a can of whoop ass on them, when in all probability I'd get trounced. :D

Thought of scouting the best young players from clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You should go for it. Make sure you come up with a snazzy name.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ennis Hoppers.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Clare United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

My nearest LOI club Tralee Dynamos tried to get a Licence to play in Division one this season,but got turned down due to facilities not been up to standard,they are good enough for the A championship but not for Division One,

Kerry had a very good U21 team years ago,Billy Dennehy of Shamrock Rovers was on this team,Sean Kelly who played with Galway Utd was also on it,a few others have gone on to play with Limerick in the LOI,I really thought they should have bitten the bullet that time and tried to enter the LOI proper with this team,it was during the Celtic Tiger era and im sure if they tried they would have got the backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Doubt it would be illegal to recruit the players, but the chances of them leaving their own ones for an unknown club is probably the greatest challenge you'd face regarding recruitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

If you have a couple of hundred thousand to spend surely it would make more sense to get involved with an existing junior club in Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Doubt it would be illegal to recruit the players, but the chances of them leaving their own ones for an unknown club is probably the greatest challenge you'd face regarding recruitment.

Not if they knew they would be playing at a higher level such as the "A" championship or even the first division.The potential is certainly there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

bohsman wrote: »
    If you have a couple of hundred thousand to spend surely it would make more sense to get involved with an existing junior club in Clare.

The existing clubs tend to represent very specific parts of Ennis or Co. Clare and some were formed by breaking away from other established clubs. To avoid being overly divisive I'd say you'd need to start a new club with the support of the local sides. Lifford had a go in the National u21 League a few years back but it didn't last.

I'd say the way to do it would be to establish 'Clare County' as a new entity and draw players from the local sides like Lifford, Tulla, Avenue, Newmarket etc... After that, add a couple of older LoI players - Barry Ryan is the only local one I can think of at the moment but you could probably get a few lads from Limerick, Galway and Tipp to commute.

You'd also have to ensure whoever was involved in selecting local players for this new side didn't have any baggage with the existing clubs in the county. The last thing you'd need is infighting because one side doesn't believe their players are getting a fair shout.

I've given this a fair amount of thought over the years and there are at least three major obstacles before you could even start getting something like this off the ground; 1) Guaranteed Funding/Sponsorship to bankroll the endeavour. 2) Support of the local sides (providing a suitable home ground, willingness to lose the best players in the Clare League, assisting with promotion of the team etc...) 3) Support of the FAI (because if they don't want it to happen, it won't)

• Advertisement

The existing clubs tend to represent very specific parts of Ennis or Co. Clare and some were formed by breaking away from other established clubs. To avoid being overly divisive I'd say you'd need to start a new club with the support of the local sides. Lifford had a go in the National u21 League a few years back but it didn't last.

I'd say the way to do it would be to establish 'Clare County' as a new entity and draw players from the local sides like Lifford, Tulla, Avenue, Newmarket etc... After that, add a couple of older LoI players - Barry Ryan is the only local one I can think of at the moment but you could probably get a few lads from Limerick, Galway and Tipp to commute.

You'd also have to ensure whoever was involved in selecting local players for this new side didn't have any baggage with the existing clubs in the county. The last thing you'd need is infighting because one side doesn't believe their players are getting a fair shout.

I've given this a fair amount of thought over the years and there are at least three major obstacles before you could even start getting something like this off the ground; 1) Guaranteed Funding/Sponsorship to bankroll the endeavour. 2) Support of the local sides (providing a suitable home ground, willingness to lose the best players in the Clare League, assisting with promotion of the team etc...) 3) Support of the FAI (because if they don't want it to happen, it won't)

If anyone was really serious about this Wexford Youths are the people to talk to and copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If anyone was really serious about this Wexford Youths are the people to talk to and copy.

Yup. So you just need to find a property developer with a sizeable fortune not yet seized by Revenue and you'll be away in a hack :pac:

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Yup. So you just need to find a property developer with a sizeable fortune not yet seized by Revenue and you'll be away in a hack :pac:

In fairness he seems to have done things right down there, all players are only paid expenses and facilities are good by all accounts. AFAIK they are self sufficient or close to it. Obviously anyone doing this needs some decent start up funds for facilities etc.

In fairness he seems to have done things right down there, all players are only paid expenses and facilities are good by all accounts. AFAIK they are self sufficient or close to it. Obviously anyone doing this needs some decent start up funds for facilities etc.

What kind of grant would the FAI provide ?

Yurt wrote: »

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

JD will sort you out with a few pints.

Would there really be nothing for setting up a new club ?

Would there really be nothing for setting up a new club ?
    Of course not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Nothing. They won't even get Tralee Dynamos over the line, who have definitely potential to be a decent LOI club.

It's definitely worth a try OP, and for all of Wexford Youths' flaws, at least we've shown that you don't have spend much on wages to get a club going. On the other hand, you still need to get together a LOT of money, which you won't see again. But it's worth it! Maybe you could even just start by seeing what kind of interest there is in the prospective area? Any local businesses who might be inclined to contribute, etc.

Advertisement