Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8+8=13

• 19-06-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

I might have this all wrong but I have been out of the country and have not see this case before. How does this work out? The guy gets 13 years but the article says that he got 8 (for arson) and 8 (for danger to the life of another person). Does that not add up to 16 (plus the manslaughter of the girl, so he should be in longer)? like I said, I dont know anything about this case apart from the rte article and I dont know anything about the law and how it really works but the numbers just dont add up. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0619/man-sentenced-to-13-years-for-fatal-roscommon-fire.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    I might have this all wrong but I have been out of the country and have not see this case before. How does this work out? The guy gets 13 years but the article says that he got 8 (for arson) and 8 (for danger to the life of another person). Does that not add up to 16 (plus the manslaughter of the girl, so he should be in longer)? like I said, I dont know anything about this case apart from the rte article and I dont know anything about the law and how it really works but the numbers just dont add up. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0619/man-sentenced-to-13-years-for-fatal-roscommon-fire.html
    He's serving a concurrent sentence. can't say i agree with it most of the time tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Concurrent sentence...
    A judge may also order a concurrent sentence in a criminal case. When a person has been convicted of more than one criminal offense, a concurrent sentence allows them to serve each period of incarceration simultaneously. For instance, if a defendant was convicted of one crime for which he was sentenced to five years, and another offense for which he was sentenced to six years, a concurrent sentence would allow him to serve only six years rather than eleven (as required by consecutive sentencing).
    http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/concurrent-sent.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I'm guessing the difference is that if he later successfully appeals one he will still serve the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

He got 13 years for the manslaughter charge and sentences of 8 years each for two other charges. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Concurrent

13 years in the largest sentance so he serves that
    The 8 and the 8 are just tacked on

Don't forget 25% remission for good behaviour

He'll be out under a decade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

This is coincidental, I've just posted on another thread "Things you don't get" that I don't get "concurrent sentencing".

I understand it to a point, but totally disagree with it.

It means that if someone witnesses you killing someone, then you would be well advised to kill them too as it won't make any difference to the time you spend in prison if you're caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

wait, i know this one. there was a thread like it in the maths forum not so long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

He'll be incarcerated in a new quantum flux tunnel where time moves faster due to the lower gravitational pull.

So 16 years for him will be 13 years for us. Which is handy because it costs less to keep him locked up for 13 years than it would for 16. Its simple equations isnt it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You may as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb ;)
    Old saying

Did a law night course in DIT
    Lecturer told us the most active burglars are those are facing a prison sentence.
    They know they'll be convicted, they know they will get time
    So they go on a spree, clock up as many break-ins as they can and desperate to earn any money.

It's not going to be extra time so may as well go "earning"
    Nothing to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Yep as El Weirdo put it, he got 13+8+8 to run cuncurent. You most of read it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

LordSmeg wrote: »
    He'll be incarcerated in a new quantum flux tunnel where time moves faster due to the lower gravitational pull.

So 16 years for him will be 13 years for us. Which is handy because it costs less to keep him locked up for 13 years than it would for 16. Its simple equations isnt it ?
    ^^This. Scrap what I posted earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Cunt should have been shot in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

He'll be out this decade I bet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

he should be put away for life for burning down the house with that little girl in it,the judge described him as a man with an angry disposition,yeah very safe leaving him back out in society...i can just imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Concurrent

13 years in the largest sentance so he serves that
    The 8 and the 8 are just tacked on

Don't forget 25% remission for good behaviour

He'll be out under a decade

9Years and 9 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

With luck he will get boiling water lashed across his body in prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Too bad we have to pay for all the his stay. He will have a better life in prison then some people outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wilson10 wrote: »
    It means that if someone witnesses you killing someone, then you would be well advised to kill them too as it won't make any difference to the time you spend in prison if you're caught.

Killing someone means a life sentence. Now, while you can get remission on a life sentence, it's going to be a lot less for a double murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You may as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb ;)
    Old saying

Did a law night course in DIT
    Lecturer told us the most active burglars are those are facing a prison sentence.
    They know they'll be convicted, they know they will get time
    So they go on a spree, clock up as many break-ins as they can and desperate to earn any money.

It's not going to be extra time so may as well go "earning"
    Nothing to lose

A crime committed on bail is grounds for a consecutive sentance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Can we go Sharia Law on his ass and start chopping off limbs and body parts and stuff? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Victor wrote: »
    Killing someone means a life sentence. Now, while you can get remission on a life sentence, it's going to be a lot less for a double murder.

No remission on a Life Sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Victor wrote: »

It's still only one life sentence if you get two or more to run concurrently, which happens here practically daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Cunt should have been shot in the face.
    with balls of his own shit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wilson10 wrote: »
    It's still only one life sentence if you get two or more to run concurrently, which happens here practically daily.
    You don't say where you are, but double/multiple murders are very rare in Ireland - perhaps a handful per year at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

_sparkie_ wrote: »

This is Ireland.

Advertisement