Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamped!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

Keep trolling and I will ban the clamping apologist.
    Do not post further in this thread.
    Anan1 can post away by the way everyone

obviously this was discussed behind the scenes and it was rightly overturned.

it seems to have been hushed up.

i hope anan got an apology, i think that there should be a public apology on this thread.

our man in havana should be the one who is banned for this sort of disgraceful behaviour.

shame on boards and the motors forum for having someone like that as a moderator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

green123 wrote: »
    Keep trolling and I will ban the clamping apologist.
    Do not post further in this thread.
    Anan1 can post away by the way everyone

i hope anan got an apology, i think that there should be a public apology on this thread.

our man in havana should be the one who is banned for this sort of disgraceful behaviour.

shame on boards and the motors forum for having someone like that as a moderator
    I reported the one sided moderation days ago, when he was initally singled out by mod and poster alike for having an alternate opinion. Never heard anything back..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

green123 wrote: »

Squ wrote: »
    I reported the one sided moderation days ago, when he was initally singled out by mod and poster alike for having an alternate opinion. Never heard anything back..

Lads, this really isn't the place to be discussing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Lads, this really isn't the place to be discussing this.
    Sound.

Shane732 wrote: »
    Rover are you pro or anti clamping?

I think it works very well many situations as a deterrent to people taking the p1ss, much like any system there's for and against it. I have heard of many cases of clamping that I would consider unfair, I'm neither pro or anti clamping as that's a very generic question spanning too many situations. For example a friend lives across the road from a school, the students who drive used to park in her apartment complex, as with most complexes spaces are at a premium anyway, clamping introduced and problem solved.
    In a similar fashion, I would answer the same if you had asked me was I pro or anti cars being towed away, despite having a car lifted twice.
    To those short of a few brain cells that response will be misunderstood, I'm well aware of that but placating fxxxtards isn't high on my list of priorities.
    It's all too easy to avoid having your car clamped or towed in the majority of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

for future reference in these threads, I would ask that the OP lie, and say it only took him 15 mins to get change. That looks to be below the threshold for 40+ page rants

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Jumpaddict

Its amazing how this place veers on one side of the argument for 25 pages then takes a drastic turn to the other side:D

Back to basics, the guy was clampled, don't care about the specifics, a few good natured(maybe) souls decided to help him out and remove it, saving the clamping fee....round of applause from me anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

Caseywhale wrote: »
    Using this thread as inspiration, just tonight I have 'phoned a friend', and removed the clamp from my car.
    I'll phone the clampers tomorrow and tell them to come and collect it. I have locked my Iron gate to the clamp using my own lock. When they get here i'll hand them a bill for €90 to remove my gate from their clamp. Just like they do to your car. IF they dont pay it the clamp stays.

So I called them today. Q all sorts of threats about guards and managements companies and fines and what not.
    End result. I gave them my address, told them €400 plus €100 per day for minding the clamp if they want it back, payable by cheque, by post.

I doubt i'll ever hear anything again.
    I've put a note on my dash now outlining these charges for any object attached to my car. And a disclaimer saying "Loss or damage to any object attached to this car is responsibility of the idiot who attached it to the car".

I'm going into the hardware store to get me a bolt cutter tomorrow and just leave it in the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

RoverJames wrote: »
    I thought the clampers clamped his car after it had been there 20 mins? Which isn't surprising as there is a clamping policy in operation.

I thought it was clamped sometime before the OP arrived back. How long it was before being actually clamped is probably unknown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I thought it was clamped sometime before the OP arrived back. How long it was before being actually clamped is probably unknown.
    Unknown-ish:
    God Father wrote: »
    I bought ticket at 4:09 missed the clampers by minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Parking fares legal and illegal in city and town centers should be done away with. Car owners pay enough as it is with tax, VAT and insurance, never mind being charged just to park even though they're the ones who pump money by working and shopping in said places.

It's just another sly tax and an extortion scheme/money racket. The fact a shower of braindead wardens and enforcers too thick to be useful at anything productive, can make a living nosying around people's property and shafting them of hard earned money is ridiculous.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Unknown-ish:

Do the clampers put a time of clamping on the car? Other than that, how would someone know they missed the clamper by minutes if they have been and gone.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Parking fares legal and illegal in city and town centers should be done away with. Car owners pay enough as it is with tax, VAT and insurance, never mind being charged just to park even though they're the ones who pump money by working and shopping in said places.

It's just another sly tax and an extortion scheme/money racket. The fact a shower of braindead wardens and enforcers too thick to be useful at anything productive, can make a living nosying around people's property and shafting them of hard earned money is ridiculous.

I wouldn`t think free parking in city centres would work out well.

Im guessing the pro clampers will also agree with a car being clamped if the owner is late back, having paid the fee for parking, but the ticket has run out?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

Some retailers charge, some don't. Generally those that do, do so because they want only those with a reason to be there to park. Out of town centers where land is comparatively cheap and plentiful tend not to. You can also make the point that there are costs attached to providing parking (regulation and insurance being two), some retailers swallow it, some don't. Purpose built car parks only exist because they supply a revenue stream, daft to expect they would be built without it.

On street council parking is a slightly different matter but even so to call parking either a "sly tax" or and "extortion scheme" is daft. If you want a service, generally you pay for it. There is no obligation for a private sector to give it to you for free.

As a matter of interest, given your disdain for anyone involved in parking revenue collection (apparently not just clamping where you might have a point), what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Wexfordian wrote: »
    Some retailers charge, some don't. Generally those that do, do so because they want only those with a reason to be there to park. Out of town centers where land is comparatively cheap and plentiful tend not to. You can also make the point that there are costs attached to providing parking (regulation and insurance being two), some retailers swallow it, some don't. Purpose built car parks only exist because they supply a revenue stream, daft to expect they would be built without it.

On street council parking is a slightly different matter but even so to call parking either a "sly tax" or and "extortion scheme" is daft. If you want a service, generally you pay for it. There is no obligation for a private sector to give it to you for free.

As a matter of interest, given your disdain for anyone involved in parking revenue collection (apparently not just clamping where you might have a point), what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?

I'm talking about general street parking run by say the local council in maybe Naas town center for example. The vast majority of people who park there, do so to use the local services or work purposes. To charge them to park beside a curb or in a small white box is extortion IMO. That goes for city center parking blocks too.

I can understand private sector parking like a private and or public hospitals etc. or a retail outlet close to areas of dense groups of shoppers. But what happened to the OP is thuggish extortion I think.

I take the bus and get a lift every now and again, so parking is fairly irrelevant to me work wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm talking about general street parking run by say the local council in maybe Naas town center for example. The vast majority of people who park there, do so to use the local services or work purposes. To charge them to park beside a curb or in a small white box is extortion IMO. That goes for city center parking blocks too.

I can understand private sector parking like a private and or public hospitals etc. or a retail outlet close to areas of dense groups of shoppers. But what happened to the OP is thuggish extortion I think.

I take the bus and get a lift every now and again, so parking is fairly irrelevant to me work wise.

Where councils have introduced street parking, it's generally at the behest of local shops and businesses and is used to limit the time period for which people park rather than raise money. Keeping a limit of 2 hours means more people can access shops etc. otherwise the streets would be blocked all day. I'd doubt that many small towns make money from parking with costs etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Caseywhale wrote: »
    So I called them today. Q all sorts of threats about guards and managements companies and fines and what not.
    End result. I gave them my address, told them €400 plus €100 per day for minding the clamp if they want it back, payable by cheque, by post.

I doubt i'll ever hear anything again.
    I've put a note on my dash now outlining these charges for any object attached to my car. And a disclaimer saying "Loss or damage to any object attached to this car is responsibility of the idiot who attached it to the car".

I'm going into the hardware store to get me a bolt cutter tomorrow and just leave it in the boot.

Pics or it didn't happen!!!:D

Could you follow the clamp van around and then stick their own clamp onto their wheel when they are having lunch? Inform them if they damage your lock you will call the Guards

Do the clampers put a time of clamping on the car? Other than that, how would someone know they missed the clamper by minutes if they have been and gone.
    I've no idea, but the OP seems to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I got a parking ticket a few years ago and it had the time on it. I assume clamps would have to include a time and date with the documents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I know the council ones do but I don't think the private ones do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Private do too, I was clamped at 1.15 in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

NUI Galway, Yesterday

AwU16w1CIAEsS4L.jpg
    via

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tallon wrote: »
    NUI Galway, Yesterday

AwU16w1CIAEsS4L.jpg
    via

Someone needs to dig up the tarmac and have this installed in Imma immediately; it is a great comment on Irish society - both the application of immobilisation devices and the ingenious methods of avoiding them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

cost of the tyre & wheel, more or less then the cost of the fine? why didnt he just lob the whole lot in the boot :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'd rather buy a new wheel than give those 'people' my money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Surely the clamper can't take the wheel as it would be theft. They must look fairly sheepish taking the clamp off a lone wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

why does that look awfully like theres no wheel holding the tire, cant work out whats going on :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

http://www.farmersguardian.com/makita-lxt-18v-cordless-grinder/22204.article

Sorry guys, can't post a pic from this device but I have a question for those in the know.

Would one of these bad boys cut through the locks used for clamping? I had the pleasure of using one today in a factory I was visiting, it sliced through stainless like a hot knife through butter with a "slitting disk"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's about €400 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Yes it is a expensive piece of kit. I could probably borrow one if needed ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

here is what we used to do when in college in Dublin lol
    car was registered to someone in England so no way of tracing it back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7A9WseN8uI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I thought the private companies can't track the registration anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

to be fair, if that was a DCC clamp and it looks like one, your mate was lucky they didnt come back and lift the car. Adios car....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

listermint wrote: »
    to be fair, if that was a DCC clamp and it looks like one, your mate was lucky they didnt come back and lift the car. Adios car....

car was gone when clamp cam off and was never back in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's about €400 though

Normal angle grinder + 1kW pure sine wave inverter would be cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

car was gone when clamp cam off and was never back in Dublin

If it was an NI car the details may well have been handed over. The office in England may not pass over details so easily. Hopefully they would be more aware of data protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Just parked in naas to go to the bank.. No cash on me to pay for parking :/

Gary ITR wrote: »
    You guys are slow learners. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

eth0 wrote: »
    Normal angle grinder + 1kW pure sine wave inverter would be cheaper

Renting one for 30 mins is cheaper still :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

don't start it again. There is enough of bull on this thread ulready. People dont want another +30 pages of arguments. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Even worse if you're with Ulster Bank :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

don't start it again. There is enough of bull on this thread ulready. People dont want another +30 pages of arguments. :)

Stop back seat moderating. Smiley face doesn't give you free reign to post what you like.

No cash and no card, brand new vehicle so no change knocking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Ill be finishing early today if ya want a hand lad ;)

S-l-o-w. :D

Ill be finishing early today if ya want a hand lad ;)

Thanks, he drove by and spotted me, same lad that used to patrol my complex so I gave him a thumbs up.

I did notice on the back of the van under their list of 'services' that one of the services they provide is 'tarmac'. Make of that what you will

S-l-o-w. :D

I had an issue with my bank account, today is the first day off I've had and been able to try and resolve it, do you propose I go to my money tree and take some cash from there to pay for the parking?

I had an issue with my bank account, today is the first day off I've had and been able to try and resolve it, do you propose I go to my money tree and take some cash from there to pay for the parking?
    Do whatever seems sensible to you, and don't forget to keep us posted. ;)

Do whatever seems sensible to you, and don't forget to keep us posted. ;)

Took a gamble and parked my goods taxed vehicle in a big loading bay, was back in it within 10 minutes

I do spend in the region of €150 a month on parking during working hours and sometimes more so I'm not a chancer

• Advertisement

Advertisement