Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamped!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Clamped in the wrong outside my apartment. Clamping back.in this week. I need a big pry bar in naas area please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Clamped in the wrong outside my apartment. Clamping back.in this week. I need a big pry bar in naas area please :)
    Ya can come up and get mine if ta want lad. Id come down but im headin out in a bit!

Ya can come up and get mine if ta want lad. Id come down but im headin out in a bit!
    I'll grab it tomorrow if that's OK? Can you pm your number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Any updates?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Up in Northwood santry and mate got clamped whilst parked outside his gfs house in a visitors spot. Anyone any advice on how to get it off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Depend on the type of clamp. If its a carppy one with an exposed lock, a hacksaw, or strong bolt cutters for exposed chain type. Otherwise the angle grinder will do. Dome remove their wheel and sometimes need to undo the droplinks or wish bone depending on how its been clamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Don't damage the clamp, you can and will be charged for criminal damage.

Wheel off, drop the ball joint and slide out the chain off the wishbone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Ah that kinda works way above my pay grade :-( haven't a clue mechanically how to do that. Will see if someone back home can come up. Will I still have to pay the fine if I remove the clamp without damaging it?? Cheers by the way

Well they have to prove you caused the criminal damage. There are so many random people out there kindly removing clamps from peoples cars. Wasn't there a guy going around with an angle grinder a couple of years ago? Have a good alibi and you'll be grand. The charge is from a private company. Let them try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Morphéus wrote: »
    Ah that kinda works way above my pay grade :-( haven't a clue mechanically how to do that. Will see if someone back home can come up. Will I still have to pay the fine if I remove the clamp without damaging it?? Cheers by the way

No you won't have to pay the fine, because it isn't a fine. Cut the thing off and take it with you. You won't hear anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why doesnt he take it up with his GF and ask her why shes employing clampers (if she owns the house)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The_Outlaw

Hey guys,

My girlfriend only rents an apartment in the complex where the car was clamped. I was parked in the visitor spot. No signs stating there is a time limit or anything and NCPS or whatever they are called come along and clamp me 10 minutes before I tried to leave.

I called them and they claim that the management company requested the clamp be placed however when I contacted the management 24 hour emergency line they stated that as they were not there over the weekend they could not have made the request.

The security company state that they do not have to give me a reason for clamping and will not remove it without payment. I am waiting for the management company to call me back today to see if it will be removed. My GF is as annoyed as I am but had no control over the idiot that clamped me.

It's crazy when you cant even visit your GF without getting clamped. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Did you see your car being clamped?

I missed them by 5 minutes..... :(

The_Outlaw wrote: »

I missed them by 5 minutes..... :(

Anyone in the Santry area able to unclamp a car?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭bbuzz

558146_10150981913037921_114979985_n.jpg
    Some clown on Rathmines main street [Dublin] today – got clamped and tried to do a runner – with the clamp still on! He got all of 10 yards and then just left the car in the middle of the road before the fuzz showed up!

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/07/30/meanwhile-in-rathmines-5/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nice scrape marks on the road there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

bbuzz wrote: »
    558146_10150981913037921_114979985_n.jpg

That's a bit much now, clamping cars in the middle of the street... :p Reminds me of this: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Passing thro' Glasnevin village the other day and beside the pyramid Church I saw three cars clamped in the loading bay during proh hours. So far, so good, some may say.......trouble is that all three shopping units beside these immobilised cars were closed up permanently tighter than a duck's rear. The hardliners, no doubt, will say that the space is designated to loaders and in the place I speak of that would mean that a three space loading bay was required for a hairdressing salon. Does common sense ever come into the equation where clamping is concerned ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The silly billies should know they're supposed to park in the cycle lane across the road. No signs that I can see on Street View indicating the hours of operation for the loading bays. Probably possible to appeal given that it's council clamping.

• Advertisement

It is a parasitic money making racket.

That sums it up nicely actually

It's abuse dressed up as authority by people who do not have to justify their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Lads, I'm sorry to be a pain, but I too have just been clamped, in the wrong. Can somebody sticky a new locked thread with the instructions and relevant links to videos and legislation please?
    There are now 72 pages to sift through.

Lads, I'm sorry to be a pain, but I too have just been clamped, in the wrong. Can somebody sticky a new locked thread with the instructions and relevant links to videos and legislation please?
    There are now 72 pages to soft through.
    Where are ya and what car ya got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Brilliant! Here we go again, lads. Popcorn at the ready.

In Dublin? How come? Would that make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

he's coming to help bro

Please make a video of this :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Would this work it you stuck it on a car regarding clamps?

http://www.matrixfiles.com/TrafficWarden/notice.pdf

Here is a video of someone using it in the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=91x_j0ZGxQM

No use at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JUSTICEFIGHTER

did you sorted, also What part of Dublin? May be able to lend my expertise.

did you sorted, also What part of Dublin? May be able to lend my expertise.

You'll be delighted to know that I got out of that bother I was in, albeit, into new bother.
    As I was examining the immobilisation device that was illeagably fitted to my vehicle without reasonable cause, a complete stranger of a black knight with a concealed face arrived out of nowhere and cut the chain with a portable grinder.
    I took the clamp and other paraphinalia and placed them in my boot for safe keeping incase somebody tried to steal them.
    Unfortunately, despite the fact that I live here, I have had to move my car away to a safer place for now, out of the clutches of these extortionate criminals.

You'll be delighted to know that I got out of that bother I was in, albeit, into new bother.
    As I was examining the immobilisation device that was illeagably fitted to my vehicle without reasonable cause, a complete stranger of a black knight with a concealed face arrived out of nowhere and cut the chain with a portable grinder.
    I took the clamp and other paraphinalia and placed them in my boot for safe keeping incase somebody tried to steal them.
    Unfortunately, despite the fact that I live here, I have had to move my car away to a safer place for now, out of the clutches of these blood thirsty criminals.
    Jaysus, the clampers should pay you for trying to protect their clamp from this masked villain :p

Btw, the lock said cut proof. The chain didn't. lol

• Advertisement

Btw, the lock said cut proof. The chain didn't. lol
    No lock is cut proof, if you have the right tools. The lock that was on my car last year also said cut proof and hardened, yet my angle grinder (powered by a 1000W 12V-240V power inverter on the car battery) cut through it in about a minute. ;)

Future anti clamping divice that sits in your window and minds your car while your in your appartment!

WARNING
    This vehicle is private property

Any clamp or immobilisation device fitted to this vehicle or prohibiting its use will be removed by whatever means necessary. Offenders will be reported to An Garda Siochana  and a storage fee of €25 per day in addition to a removal fee of €50 will be applied.  No liability shall be accepted for any damage caused to above mentioned clamp or immobilisation device

Future anti clamping divice that sits in your window and minds your car while your in your appartment!

WARNING
    This vehicle is private property

Any clamp or immobilisation device fitted to this vehicle or prohibiting its use will be removed by whatever means necessary. Offenders will be reported to An Garda Siochana  and a storage fee of €25 per day in addition to a removal fee of €50 will be applied.  No liability shall be accepted for any damage caused to above mentioned clamp or immobilisation device
    I posted something like this earlier, and was warned about charging anything, as this would probably get the Revenue involved ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056676043&page=29

Revenue won't get involved over someone advertising a "service" that isn't a pocket liner. They only get involved if pockets are being lined and they're not getting their share.

We should build an emergency light to call on this masked avenger who gives us back our wheels and our freedom. We should also pay him :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

goz83 wrote: »
    We should build an emergency light to call on this masked avenger who gives us back our wheels and our freedom. We should also pay him :D

True, He should be rewarded well, Brings a tear to my eye to see we still have such heroes amongst us !!

Your concern is just so touching. Have you restored the clamping stuff to the rightful owners yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

No lock is cut proof, if you have the right tools. The lock that was on my car last year also said cut proof and hardened, yet my angle grinder (powered by a 1000W 12V-240V power inverter on the car battery) cut through it in about a minute. ;)

Just wondering is that a pure sine wave inverter or modified sine?

I got clamped again outside my apartment even though.I'd been.promised it wouldn't be. This time I.went at it with a consaw.

I got clamped again outside my apartment even though.I'd been.promised it wouldn't be. This time I.went at it with a consaw.

And ?

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    And ?
    And your point is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Lads' purely out of interest, what would I need to cut throught the lock/chain.
    What Wattage of angle-grinder or specs and what to connect it to the cigarette lighter port?

What kind of bolt cutters would be adequate for same?
    The biggest I could find on such short notice was eighteen inches or so.

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    And ?

And I phoned Ray who has promised me I won't be clamped again. Although he was supposed to phone me back on Thursday but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure one of our neighbours is reporting our cars though, you know that woman that lives on her own in every complex? The nosey busy body who knows everybodys business, well we live above her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And I phoned Ray who has promised me I won't be clamped again. Although he was supposed to phone me back on Thursday but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure one of our neighbours is reporting our cars though, you know that woman that lives on her own in every complex? The nosey busy body who knows everybodys business, well we live above her

Sheer incompetence though. Even if a busybody is ringing up, they are on notice that you have permission/not to be clamped. This is one of those few occasions where direct action seems acceptable.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement