Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamped!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

AltAccount wrote: »
    I'm loving this thread, and I'm glad to see the clampers get an F You, but seriously....

You're in a carpark beside Tescos (who have an ATM according to their website), behind Maxol (who AFAIK also have an ATM), and you come on with a story about not being able to get money/change without leaving your car unattended for 20 mins?

Have the courage of your convictions, admit you were chancing it, and you're not paying it. Seriously...

Read again, he was getting cash from the teller.
    I remember those student days, when i didnt have enough in the bank to use the atm:P

(btw you're probably right, but i just dont care:D vigilante declampification FTW)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

MugMugs wrote: »
    Squ wrote: »
    History is written by the victors.
    Get away with it and ye will be high fiving each other in haydens.
    Get caught and ye'll be on p5 of the kildare champion an vandals caught in the act.

But if they don't damage the clamp, where's the vandalism?
    Joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

This is hilarious, fair play lads! So tempted to pop over and join the ranks :D We should gather a boards.ie task team in every town to help out whenever this happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Legends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I know its not an offence to remove the clamp without damaging it but it is a Civil offence to not pay the fine?
    Is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This is hilarious, fair play lads! So tempted to pop over and join the ranks :D We should gather a boards.ie task team in every town to help out whenever this happens!
    I loves it when a plan comes together.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I know its not an offence to remove the clamp without damaging it but it is a Civil offence to not pay the fine?
    Is that correct?
    NCPS have no legal power as a private company to fine anyone. So no offence civil or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

I loves it when a plan comes together.

You'll need this

smart-a-team-e1267484057344.jpg

NCPS have no legal power as a private company to fine anyone. So no offence civil or otherwise.
    Theres an interesting article on it in one of the Irish legal journals... can't remember the name/isue though, would you have read it yourself?

The mod over on the law forum wrote it if I remember correctly

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Is that correct?
    As Our man in Havana said above, they have no right to fine you.

It would be the same as me getting on you car while you go into a shop etc, and demanding €100+ for me to get off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

God Father wrote: »
    ah pulling my hair out here waiting on my lift to finish eating dinner! i'll be there in 10mins

Take your time, if you get back to your car and find somebody else has removed the clamp from your car, with no assistance from you, you're probably about as "in the clear" as you could possibly be!

Theres an interesting article on it in one of the Irish legal journals... can't remember the name/isue though, would you have read it yourself?

The mod over on the law forum wrote it if I remember correctly
    Law Society Gazette March 2011, pg 30 - 33

Law Society Gazette March 2011, pg 30 - 33

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/Gazette/Gazette%202011/march2011.pdf

Haven't read it all, but the final, concluding paragraph says
    It appears, therefore, that there are legal difficulties in engaging in the practice of private clamping under Irish law, given that the defence of voluntary assumption of risk has been virtually abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Take your time, if you get back to your car and find somebody else has removed the clamp from your car, with no assistance from you, you're probably about as "in the clear" as you could possibly be!
    Unless your subsequently clamped a second time :)

bigpoppa wrote: »
    Unless your subsequently clamped a second time :)

What if kildare.17hmr unclamps the car, then reclamps it with his own lock and demands double the unclamping fee?

This could get messy...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

What if kildare.17hmr unclamps the car, then reclamps it with his own lock and demands double the unclamping fee?

This could get messy...
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The force is strong with these ones!!!!

Oh god I only now peeked in to this thread!!! Go on boards vandals!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This could get messy...

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Come on lads. Update!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Clamp watch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Thread of the year imo

C'mon lads make with the photo updates!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

dgt wrote: »
    k75000.jpg

I'd change that cutting disc before using it on steel if I were you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Great thread, fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Update please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Fair play lads, good to see some community spirit :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

This is gas altogether!!

They must be having trouble removing it. If no update soon am going go nip around and check it out myself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Easily the most legendary thread in my time on boards :D

+1 for a task force in every town/city :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I fear the lads may have gotten a taste for crime now. No doubt they are going out the window of AIB with a few sackfulls of money! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I reckon they're having a celebratory pint, either that or they're bumming each other in the back of the car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

darokane wrote: »
    I reckon they're having a celebratory pint, either that or they're bumming each other in the back of the car

Or getting kicked around a cell.

Calm down folks with the off colour remarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Clamp is off anyhow...................the Guards seemed a bit interested too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

It never would have started if people park properly and with consideration.

Instead, what happens when parking is free is people arrive and dump their cars where it suits and use town/city centres etc as park and rides or the people working there take the spaces for the day meaning theres no parking for anyone else.

Why? I know its not relly in peoples nature to think before they rabble as soon as the subject of clamping comes up but I'm sure theres a petrol station in or around Naas or a local shop on the OP's way where change could be gotten.

Er....parking spaces are for parking in... I don't see your point. Why shouldn't someone be allowed to park their car if they work nearby or are using the town?? If people pay for parking then their reasons for parking are hardly any different!

Parking in my town used to be free and isn't now. Ever. Even at weekends or night time. It is two euro per hour in most car parks here now. The clampers don't even give a minute's grace and the council are the same. The result? Business is being driven out of the town. Why pay as much for parking here when you could go shopping in Cork City instead for the same amount? The town is dead, businesses are struggling and it has created a lot of anger and resentment towards the council. In Midleton parking is free and it is really busy all the time.

A sweet old lady I know who needed to rush to the doctor for an emergency prescription recently got clamped by a private company to the tune of 180 euro. She was only parked there for literally five min.

Fair play to the OP and everyone else who don't take it lying down and have the guts to saw off the clamps themselves!

Clamp is off anyhow...................the Guards seemed a bit interested too.

Cut or just removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

That was great crack for a tuesday night! Guards turned up all guns blazing and left laughing and the op is in his way hone with his €90 intact! Clamper gets his clamp back tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Can we get this thread stickied? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Motors thread of the year.

That was great crack for a tuesday night! Guards turned up all guns blazing and left laughing and the op is in his way hone with his €90 intact! Clamper gets his clamp back tomorrow
    I wish I could have been there! :(

Great work lads!!

If possible would it be possible to get a photo of handing the clamp back as if it was a big check, make it look like the clamper won the lotto or something. :D

MugMugs wrote: »
    Cut or just removed?

Removed, with no damage caused.

Garda arrived, threatening to arrest everyone, and then after a bt of a chat all I heard was "What, but, eh, erm, ah lads now ye're gettin into Civil law"

They were happy enough to go on their way on the proviso that the clampers get their clamp back.

On that note, they didn't seem to interested. On the phone to them, I asked if they wanted to come down and collect it. Yer man just kept saying they'll contact the Garda, and if there is any damage there'll be legal proceedings etc etc etc....Fair enough says I. Still though, do you want to collect your clamp, I'd hate to leave it here unattended in case it gets stolen. Just kept saying he'd speak to the Gardai and that was that.

Who said Tuesday evenings are dull!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Well done lads. Have never been anywhere as bad as Naas for clampers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

great thread...was following all evening with great interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭timefora_J

Nicely done all involved, in your face clamper :D

Who called the cops?

OP - I think we can safely say you owe these lads a pint.

Well done fella's. Made my night !

New business venture for kildare.17hmr and Drummerboy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Well done lads!

Any pics?

We don't know. There were a few passers by, including one old geezer who was very interested in what was going on.

Either that or someone from NCPS drove by and spotted what was going on. Fairly hard to see it from the road though, and I kept a good eye out for any of their vans.

Any pics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Brilliant stuff.
    I still feel though that its a much better ending if you just take the clamp away, never to be seen again (assuming the guards didnt see ya of course) as that way, its actually costing the scumbags money and you dont have to worry about not damaging it either.
    Still, epic work.

Advertisement