Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamped!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Excellent thread, up until the last couple of pages!

Well done to all involved, great to see genuine people willing to help someone else (and even better to get one over on the clampers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Marlow wrote: »
    You might, but not everybody has at all times and to be honest, you shouldn't have to.
    Why shouldn't you have to? If you want to park in a pay zone then you'll need coins.
    Marlow wrote: »
    Also, the case of the bust parking machine would even catch you out.

/M
    A broken machine might mean a five minute walk, tops. It still doesn't explain your demand for a 20-30 minute grace period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Anan1 wrote: »
    Why shouldn't you have to? If you want to park in a pay zone then you'll need coins.

A broken machine might mean a five minute walk, tops. It still doesn't explain your demand for a 20-30 minute grace period.

Lads, let it go. The both of you. You've managed to ruin what was an otherwise happy-ending thread. You've both made your points loud and clear at this stage - don't think we need to hear anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Anan1, what has this got to do with you anyway? Are you a clamp? Actually, I couldn't give a f**K.....

Fair play to the OP and to the guys who rescued the situation. At least the Irish goodwill is alive and well, again, fair play to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Lads, let it go. The both of you. You've managed to ruin what was an otherwise happy-ending thread. You've both made your points loud and clear at this stage - don't think we need to hear anymore.
    With all due respect, Motors is supposed to be a forum for discussion. You don't have to answer - or even read - anything that doesn't interest you. Or are you saying that only people who agree with the OP should be allowed to post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

With all due respect, Motors is supposed to be a forum for discussion. You don't have to answer - or even read - anything that doesn't interest you. Or are you saying that only people who agree with the OP should be allowed to post?
    Do not post further in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I guess where ever you will be, there will be always at least one party pooper...

Lads involved, one more time my congratulations. OP, when you are back on money, you own those lads some pints and ice creams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What an irrelevant analogy. How does not being bothered to carry change make the OP the 'elderly woman' in this scenario? :D

Depends on the situation. If the OP was clamped by the council on a public road (ie: legally) then the OP's going to get into **** so the OP hasn't won anything. If the OP was clamped by a private clampers (ie: illegally) then good has been done by standing up against extornionists even if it was the OP's own fault that he came within their radar. I think the more people do this, the more chance that the private clampers will be forced to go the legislative route and we'll actually have some form of regulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I said nothing of the sort. I made the point that your point, along with the others, have been made. Agreement has not been reached, nor will it be by the looks of things.

So I'm asking you both, for the sake of what has been a great thread and entertained us all for almost two days, to let it go. I read this thread as it interested me, and replied in the hopes of salvaging it.

Now that my point has been made, I will bow out. (Hint hint.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Aww the thread has been ruined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Flanders536

Kildare, please save this thread by posting a pic of clamper with hi clamp back :)

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Aww the thread has been ruined
    +1 mods should consider removing all posts since the start of the crap, and sticky this thread as a place where someone can look for help if they get clamped by NCPS et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

^ Agree with 'Joker.

Epic thread, and epic bunch of people involved, but please reduce the a$$-hattery,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Fair play to Kildare, Bummerboy :p and Gary. Ridiculously nice gesture with no reward other than the satisfaction of helping someone out.

Threads like this make Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Fair play to Kildare, Bummerboy :p and Gary. Ridiculously nice gesture with no reward other than the satisfaction of helping someone out.beating the clampers

Threads like this make Boards.

Fixed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

I'm just telling you how it is. OP saved 50c, and you lot spent your evening under a carvan. But hey, whatever floats your boat. ;)

in the carpark the OP got clamped there is a minimum payment of a euro!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

TOP JOB lads, I followed from the start yesterday, just finished work so catching up, great thread, great outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Fair play lads!

Reminds when Galway Clamping Company put a clamp on my gf's car. Torrids of abuse on the phone from him, no lee way, he was completely wrong to clamp but it made no difference.

Went down after hours and managed to prise it off enough to remove the wheel and then eventually pull it off without damage. That said I was going to cut it if this didn't work.

Down to Mill Street, with a three word statement: "Clamp fell off". One of the most worthwhile things I have ever done. Telling the clamper where to find his clamp was hilarious.

156251_10150333206020134_6864381_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wouldnt mind a more detailed pic of the lock to see what kind it was, id guess it is easily pickable and that requires alot less effort

• Advertisement

If you know how to pick the clampers locks, can we have a boards.ie motors get together where you can train us all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....missed all the excitement, just read it now; great work by all.

That sometimes, the man-in-the-street wins, and makes friends in the process, is a refreshing change.

Now, this 'goodwill' feeling has potential.....imagine if......

1) ...we could get one over on the Bankers.........
    2) ...the politicians..........
    3) ...water meters.

Actually, #3 is going to be a hoot. I already have the tools. :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....missed all the excitement, just read it now; great work by all.

That sometimes, the man-in-the-street wins, and makes friends in the process, is a refreshing change.

Now, this 'goodwill' feeling has potential.....imagine if......

1) ...we could get one over on the Bankers.........
    2) ...the politicians..........
    3) ...water meters.

Actually, #3 is going to be a hoot. I already have the tools. :D

There are people in the country with two fuel tanks to run on green diesel, who share neighbour's internet, who have been claiming the dole on the way to work for 20 years, who don't know what a tv license looks like and will never pay water charges or the household tax.

There's a way around everything, finding it makes the rich rich!

If you know how to pick the clampers locks, can we have a boards.ie motors get together where you can train us all?

No i dont but ive always been interested in trying it and after reading this thread and learning about NCPS and how in certain situation its not so illegal im deffinitely gonna start looking into it.
    Also i did a quick google and it seems if you know what your doing its easy as pie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

If you don't care then why answer?

Did you read the care-o-meter? Aparently not!

About lockpicking: Its actually illegal to have a set of lockpicks here! Buying them online and getting them sent to you is illegal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

It just seems like an awful lot of wasted effort because the OP wasn't bothered having a couple of cents change for the meter. If you'd got someone out of a hole that wasn't caused by their own laziness/meanness then i'd have been first in line to cheer you on.

They did a decent, nice and selfless thing. They asked nothing in return I am really grasping to see how you are finding a fault with the lads helping out a stranger.

Its something this country used to be abundant in but is in short supply at the moment.

I am pretty sure the OP thanked the lads and they seemed happy to help.

So what if NCPS dont go bust as a result, the OP seems like a decent lad and I am happy he came out on top.

About lockpicking: Its actually illegal to have a set of lockpicks here! Buying them online and getting them sent to you is illegal too.

Really? This ****ing country...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Nope not at all. There was a shop selling them a few years ago as well.

Afaik it's legal to own them but if found on your person and a guard believes you had intent to use them for illegal purposes then you can be in trouble. if a guard stopped a locksmith going to someone's house who called out for him, there is no intent for criminal activity.

On the flip side if a guard finds a 16 year old lad walking down the street with a set on him at say 2:30 am, then he can assume intent to use them in a criminal activity.

I would love to be able to use lock picks but as last night showed me, I wouldn't be able to remove a clamp with them unless I was good enough to do it in seconds. If I had a set of picks on me last night when the guards showed up, I'd be in the back of the car on the way to the local station. That was the guards attitude when they first showed up. When it was made clear no damage was caused whatsoever they relaxed and left laughing. But for the first few minutes the senior guard was bulling and even claimed to be able to arrest me for taking pictures even tho it was all happening in a public place. I just did what he said and put the camera away so as not to make the situation any worse.

Basically they got called to say some1 was damaging a clamp. They came down with that in mind and acted like that for the first few minutes. When they relaxed, opened up and chatted then they realised that no criminal activity was going on and it was all a civil matter in the end since no damage occurred. Providing the clamp was given back otherwise it would be theft. A call was made to the company whilst the guards were on the scene to avoid that.

• Advertisement

Yawns wrote: »

Afaik it's legal to own them but if found on your person and a guard believes you had intent to use them for illegal purposes then you can be in trouble. if a guard stopped a locksmith going to someone's house who called out for him, there is no intent for criminal activity.

On the flip side if a guard finds a 16 year old lad walking down the street with a set on him at say 2:30 am, then he can assume intent to use them in a criminal activity.

I would love to be able to use lock picks but as last night showed me, I wouldn't be able to remove a clamp with them unless I was good enough to do it in seconds. If I had a set of picks on me last night when the guards showed up, I'd be in the back of the car on the way to the local station. That was the guards attitude when they first showed up. When it was made clear no damage was caused whatsoever they relaxed and left laughing. But for the first few minutes the senior guard was bulling and even claimed to be able to arrest me for taking pictures even tho it was all happening in a public place. I just did what he said and put the camera away so as not to make the situation any worse.

Basically they got called to say some1 was damaging a clamp. They came down with that in mind and acted like that for the first few minutes. When they relaxed, opened up and chatted then they realised that no criminal activity was going on and it was all a civil matter in the end since no damage occurred. Providing the clamp was given back otherwise it would be theft. A call was made to the company whilst the guards were on the scene to avoid that.

A locksmith told me that it is illegal to own them and that although they use them on private property they don't advertise that they can pick a lock and usually opt to cut a lock where possible.
    Looking online it seems that you are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

This thread brought a tear to my eye. It's perhaps the most amazing thread I've ever read.

Fair play to everyone involved!

If anyone happens to know where Anan1's car is normally parked then I may have an idea for the clamp. :p

Just on the bolt cutters - do they actually work?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Called the Guards in Naas once when there was a vicious assault in progress and it took them >40 mins to show. 4 guys at a clamp and they are there in mins:confused:

but that is another argument

Shane732 wrote: »
    This thread brought a tear to my eye. It's perhaps the most amazing thread I've ever read.

If anyone happens to know where Anan1's car is normally parked then I may have an idea for the clamp. :p

A big set of bolt cutters should go through any lock. I cant imagine what material makes to locks cut resistant to that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Shane732 wrote: »

Yeah they work, takes about 4-5 mins.

A locksmith told me that it is illegal to own them and that although they use them on private property they don't advertise that they can pick a lock and usually opt to cut a lock where possible.
    Looking online it seems that you are right.

It could just be that lock smith not wanting you to start learning it yourself or maybe he was unsure of the law. I popped into the local hardware shop where the man there said he will send someone out to the door and first thing they try is lock picking to avoid any damage if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Well clamp was handed back to the clamper this evenin, first thing he said was "are you the lads off the internet last night?" hahaha

he asked if we broke it and i showed it to him and said its as it was left on the car with no damage and he said thats grand cheers!

He was just after clampin an old woman in a golf :( she looked real sad. I was so tempted to start again and there was 3 more clamped in the same carpark

Anyway enjoy!

fa9e1699.jpg

Last pic added in to the main set so it's all complete now. Imagine the guards if you were at it again with 4 clamps this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Brilliant Kildare... the ****ers saw us talking about it here so

I bought a cheap lock picking set from dealextreme.com for €5-6. They're grand.

Just from youtube vids, and experience, I can get many normal padlocks open in seconds. The clamp I removed, I didn't pick, but now, I have no problem picking the lock that I removed with the clamp (simply because I have practiced with it so much). I can normally get a 3-4-5 pin padlock (with no safety pins) open in a few seconds.

Just a note, I believe some clampers use Disc Detainer(no pins) locks. This are much more difficult to pick, and a special tool is needed, normal picks won't do.

If you're really interested in it, buy a cheap set and just practice.

(It has actully gotten to stage where I have lost the keys to some locks, so just pick them when I need them open :D)

That or it was brought to their attention this morning by someone who heard of this thread. I still reckon it was a passer by the rang the company who then rang the guards.

Altho it could be possible from watching this thread as it was mentioned on thread where the car was located. Oh well, alls well that ends well. Nothing damaged, car freed and everyone's happy.

• Advertisement

I saw that before joker and was tempted to buy them to try it. Glad I didn't in hindsight as if I had them with me last night I'd have been in trouble.

I saw that before joker and was tempted to buy them to try it. Glad I didn't in hindsight as if I had them with me last night I'd have been in trouble.
    Not necessarily. Yes, it is a offense to carry something with the intention of doing something illegal with it, but could opening a clamp lock be considered illegal? It a really grey area when it comes to clamps.

I used to carry the picks in the car but was advised not to by a member on here over in the legal discussion forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vanman10

Great work lads, I usually deal with it the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Fantastic read, brought a rather large smile to my face.

Fair play to the lads helping out.

I can see a motors sub-forum in the making. ;)

Not necessarily. Yes, it is a offense to carry something with the intention of doing something illegal with it, but could opening a clamp lock be considered illegal? It a really grey area when it comes to clamps.

I used to carry the picks in the car but was advised not to by a member on here over in the legal discussion forum ;)

Unfortunately it's that much a of gray area that I would have found myself having to explain it to a judge the way the guards were when they arrived last night. The guards were under the assumption we were removing a clamp belonging to a company who have a licence to clamp people there. Don't worry, we quickly informed him they have no such licence and it's an unregulated racket in private car parks. Only local authority and city councils etc can legally clamp you and you can't interfere with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Lads, fair play to you.

Why couldn't your man drop the clamp back himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

We should have a poll. Which thread is better, this one or tbh's thread on getting hit in a car park http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056639783

If you do go down the bolt cutters route, is there anywhere that can replace the link you cut, and how many links do you need to cut?

Paparazzo wrote: »
    We should have a poll. Which thread is better, this one or tbh's thread on getting hit in a car park http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056639783

If you do go down the bolt cutters route, is there anywhere that can replace the link you cut, and how many links do you need to cut?
    One link and the chain would be broke. But you would probably have to replace more than one link.

Lads, fair play to you.

Why couldn't your man drop the clamp back himself?

An agreement with the guards to ensure it goes back to the clampers. I think kildare.17hmr lives closest to the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Feck, I would even pay full price of clamp removing to a fella from boards.ie, then give it to those scumbags!

Massive +1 on this.

To hand over money to those parasitic bastards must seriously grind. I'm all for a fella makin a living but when you're livelihood is based on inflicting misery and frustration on ordinary decent people then you deserve all the bad karma you get in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement