Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem With Defragmenting Windows 7

Options
  • 19-06-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I was just trying to defrag my laptop but I'm having a problem.

When I go into the Disk Defragmenter, I have RECOVERY (D: ) (0% fragmented), HP_TOOLS (E: ) (0% fragmented) and SYSTEM (21% fragmented). I've tried to both analyse and defrag them all but none of it works. Whenever I highlight one of them and click Analyse Disk, 0% analysed will flash up under Progress and disappear again. Something similar happens when I click on Defragment Disk, only it'll flash up and say something like 1.11% consolidated or 1.12% defragmented and then go blank again.

I have looked up how to defrag my laptop and I know this isn't what's meant to happen. Can you tell me what's wrong and how to fix it? Thanks for any helpful answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As far as I'm concerned Win7 looks after that automatically on the fly. I used to do it manually in XP but nowadays every time I look it tells me it doesn't need to be defragmented and I don't have any automatic defrag set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Suas11 wrote: »
    Hi, I was just trying to defrag my laptop but I'm having a problem.

When I go into the Disk Defragmenter, I have RECOVERY (D: ) (0% fragmented), HP_TOOLS (E: ) (0% fragmented) and SYSTEM (21% fragmented). I've tried to both analyse and defrag them all but none of it works.

I wouldn't touch the RECOVERY or HP_TOOLS drives / partitions.
    They're typically there so that you can reinstall Windows 7 and all your laptop drivers from a special image file.

The SYSTEM partition is likely the C: drive, and the only one you should be concerned about. The others won't be read or written to and are only there in the event of an emergency requiring a full reinstall of Windows.

So just trying defragmenting the C: drive alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

Advertisement