Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time mums - when did your baby "drop"?

Options
  • 19-06-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am almost 39 weeks.
    Was with midwife the other day and although the baby position is head down, he is still pretty high still and the head has yet to engage... From reading, it seems most people expereience the baby dropping around 36 weeks so I was a bit disappointed that this may mean I am going to have a longer pregnancy...
    Just wondering when other first time mums felt their baby drop? And is usually an overnight thing / very sudden thing?
    And how long do most people then have between the baby dropping and labour?
    Oh, and finally, any tips on positions to encourage the baby down?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

I would suspect you will get a better response from the newborn section :) I'm
    36 weeks & baby is not engaged as far as I know if that's any help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My baby dropped & engaged at 30 weeks but I still had to be induced at 9 days over.
    I don't remember feeling him drop just one day he had so maybe it did happen overnight :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

My first baby dropped at 36wks and was born at 37wks. My second was engaged at 37wks and went 12days over had to have membranes ruptured artificialy to bring on labor.

There is no telling, everyone and every pregnancy is so different (was certain I would go early again second time around!) I understand the eagerness of wanting something to happen.
    On all 4s and squat was the positions that were encouraged at yoga to get baby in optimal position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I went for my 38 week appointment with my consultant on my second, she told me the head hadn't engaged and she was full sure I wasn't any where close to having my baby any time soon. Four days later there I was in the labour ward, she actually laughed when she saw me :D

So don't be disappointed, or worried that you may have a longer pregnancy...you never know what might happen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I went for my 38 week appointment with my consultant on my second, she told me the head hadn't engaged and she was full sure I wasn't any where close to having my baby any time soon. Four days later there I was in the labour ward, she actually laughed when she saw me :D

So don't be disappointed, or worried that you may have a longer pregnancy...you never know what might happen ;)

I've heard that on second and other pregnancies, you can literally drop and go into labour a few hours later.

I'm almost 37weeks, gynae in my GP's office told me last week that the head was engaged, but I still felt like baby was high up.
    But since the weekend, my bump is definitely lower. Before it felt like it was under my boobs, but now it's across the middle if that makes any sense. And A LOT more pressure down below. I'm almost crawling around today, its that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 QPDB9

Hi mary1978
    My first never engaged at all. It was a long labour but once the epidural was in I had a good nights sleep. They woke me up when it was time to push!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

With my daughter she engaged at 37 weeks, dropped at 38 and was born at 39 + 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My wee man never dropped at all. Every woman/baby is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jmtormey

thanks for the replies ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

kildareash wrote: »
    I've heard that on second and other pregnancies, you can literally drop and go into labour a few hours later.

I'm almost 37weeks, gynae in my GP's office told me last week that the head was engaged, but I still felt like baby was high up.
    But since the weekend, my bump is definitely lower. Before it felt like it was under my boobs, but now it's across the middle if that makes any sense. And A LOT more pressure down below. I'm almost crawling around today, its that bad.

Haha this is gas, Only what, 6 hours after you wrote this your waters broke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ladymuck

My baby never dropped. I was indused at 38weeks. Don't worry. I was told it's not required to happen. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Mink wrote: »
    kildareash wrote: »

Haha this is gas, Only what, 6 hours after you wrote this your waters broke!

Less even!ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think I was like Hannibal Smith. I can't remember being told anything about the baby dropping but even my mam said at 39 weeks that I was going to be hanging around for a while. My son arrived at 39 + 3.

Advertisement