Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ukraine v England

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Both Italy and England will be battling to get more players behind the ball than the other team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think England can beat Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kirby wrote: »
    Both England and France are weaker teams than Croatia and Italy.
    Italy had an excellent game against Spain but were only ok against Croatia and Ireland. I think they will stand off England, just like they did with Ireland and give the English room to play. I'd give a slight edge to Italy, but in reality, it's going to be a close game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Shane732 wrote: »
    Both Italy and England will be battling to get more players behind the ball than the other team.

Erm... No... Italy don't 'park the bus'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Gerrard was on a different level to anyone on the pitch he is vital for England
    Fancy England to beat Italy I think the will use Parker to get in amongst pierlo and stop him playing and England's back 4 is very strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is the first Quarter not on Thursday? Strange that RTE are advertising the Friday game but not that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

England's right side is weak imo with Johnson and Milner but still think they got a good chance vs Italy. Walcott to start maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ger and Trevor must have been leaving early to avoid the traffic!
    A Spain Germany final even more likely now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

It'll be interesting to see if the panel on RTE make as much of the clear offside in the build up as they do for the poor call by the ''additional assistant referee''. I wouldn't bet on it!

• Advertisement

Wonder will RTE mention the Offside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I was watching the match up to 60 mins on RTE's sh!tty HD stream and it kept cutting to Troy McClure on the Simpsons. Did this happen on the TV?

Useless from RTE tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

anyone no the music off that RTE competition thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

murpho999 wrote: »
    Would actually disagree with that. Russia looked good and it was a great achievement by Greece to beat them.

England & France will most likely go out in next round.

Everybody thought England would most likely not win a game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

France obviously blow hot and cold, what happened to them v Sweden tonight. England will feel they have a better chance v Italy as opposed to Spain, though Italy will still be favourites in that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Doesn't suit the anti-England RTE agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

nuxxx wrote: »
    anyone no the music off that RTE competition thing?
    Avicii - Levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

The fact it was offside dosent change the fact the 5th official was clearly wrong and blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

The goal was not given.Let them rant away.Justice done.Forget about it

bwatson wrote: »
    Everbody?Good man:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That was the English media's perception based on Hodgson just taking over and then trying to use under-confidence as an advantage.

It will all start to change over the next few days.

• Advertisement

The fact it was offside dosent change the fact the 5th official was clearly wrong and blind.

But it does show that Ukraine weren't actually cheated out of a goal at all and that England won the game legitimately.

They won't say a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

CSF wrote: »
    Avicii - Levels

Best tune in the world for getting the last mile in in a run

and that doesnt change the fact that so was the linesman. If he was doign his job the "goal" never would have come up.

murpho999 wrote: »
    That was the English media's perception based on Hodgson just taking over and then trying to use under-confidence as an advantage.

It will all start to change over the next few days.

I'm sure you would like to think so.

England will go into the game as second favourites in the eyes of the fans, as they have seemingly done in each of these group games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

blueser wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if the panel on RTE make as much of the clear offside in the build up as they do for the poor call by the ''additional assistant referee''. I wouldn't bet on it!

The goal not being given is a bigger talking point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

flanzer wrote: »
    I was watching the match up to 60 mins on RTE's sh!tty HD stream and it kept cutting to Troy McClure on the Simpsons. Did this happen on the TV?

Useless from RTE tonight

Didn't happen on the TV though 'Fuzzy Bunny's Guide To You-Know-What' would have been a welcome diversion at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The only notes that need to be taken are notes on how to get lucky in the draw. Both England and France are weaker teams than Croatia and Italy. We also had Spain in our group. People talk about traps system and traps selection and they would be mostly right.....but make no mistake if we had englands group we would have qualified too.

England are poor. Ukraine outplayed them and if they had a better keeper they would have won that match. Desperation for the last 10 mins cost them but they were better overall.

I really, really don't think so. France, Sweden and Ukraine, they way they played tonight, all would have beaten us on our current form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I liked Gerrards reaction to ITV interview question, taking nothing at all for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

They could have done with Paul Green; betya they are disappointed he opted for the Ireland.

WTF is that assistant looking at, absolute disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Surprise surprise. No mention (so far) of the clear offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Italy have got to happy with facing England rather than France. France a little bit more unpredictable in attack and even if England decide to go with Carroll up front, Italy have the quality at the back to contain them. Here's hoping Prandelli reverts back to 3-5-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Both the linseman and GL official were awful there. Clear offside, but as it wasn't given the goal should have been.

The only notes that need to be taken are notes on how to get lucky in the draw. Both England and France are weaker teams than Croatia and Italy. We also had Spain in our group. People talk about traps system and traps selection and they would be mostly right.....but make no mistake if we had englands group we would have qualified too.

England are poor. Ukraine outplayed them and if they had a better keeper they would have won that match. Desperation for the last 10 mins cost them but they were better overall.

What makes you think Croatia are a stronger team than England? The fact that they lost 5-0 the last time they played England, or the fact that they lost 4-1 the time they played England before that?

You sound delusional. I like Ireland and want to see them do well (and think a new manager is desperately needed), but the fact that they return home as statistically the worst side to ever grace the Euros must seriously make you re-evaluate the strength of Ireland atm?

monkey9 wrote: »
    The goal not being given is a bigger talking point though.

The only talking point with regard to that sequence of events.

I'd completely disagree anyway. The player was further offside than the ball was over the line.

Even then, it doesnt make the second incident any more of a talking point. It was simply the result of poor officiating from the linesman.

RTE have a massive agenda against England.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Been waiting for English media to get carried away but it's not happening, I think they know how bad the team is and anything is a bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Two wrongs in this case do make a right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'd completely disagree anyway. The player was further offside than the ball was over the line.

Even then, it doesnt make the second incident any more of a talking point. It was simply the result of poor officiating from the linesman.

Yeah man real zeitgeist stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

mike65 wrote: »
    I liked Gerrards reaction to ITV interview question, taking nothing at all for granted.

Agreed. His performance on and off the pitch have been top notch.

• Advertisement

Of course it's bigger issue. Never mind the offside, the fact that the official didn't call that over the line is a joke! It's the goal line technology debate again.

And just don't watch RTE and Dunphy then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think the anti RTE agenda among posters here is greater than RTE's anti England agenda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

disappointed that this thread has not yet produced a gif of how far the ball was over the line, the game finished half an hour ago, ffs standards are slipping on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

donfers wrote: »
    disappointed that this thread has not yet produced a gif of how far the ball was over the line, the game finished half an hour ago, ffs standards are slipping on here

If we do, we'll have an agenda though!

Of course it's bigger issue. Never mind the offside, the fact that the official didn't call that over the line is a joke! It's the goal line technology debate again.

And just don't watch RTE and Dunphy then!

I actually enjoy watching Dunphy, hes a bitter little man who embarrasses himself when he talks about England. Its not as if I feel hurt or betrayed -his stance is obvious.

What a silly comment. There's a train wreck on the way:D

• Advertisement

Hardly.Giles and Brady both thought England could beat the Italians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The official behind the goal was a disgrace tonight for the Ukranian goal, how can he fail to see that while staring straight at it?

Reduntant to even have him there, goal line technology is surely needed now these extra officials are being shown up also?

The chap was also offside in the lead up to the goal which doesnt do the officials any favours either. Watching Terry get torn asunder by quality players should be quite funny however.

Delighted Wayne got the goal, thought he was poor overall, very rusty as to be expected and he should come on for the run, how bad was the keeper though? England getting the lucky breaks so far, who knows what could happen if thta keeps up

I actually enjoy watching Dunphy, hes a bitter little man who embarrasses himself when he talks about England. Its not as if I feel hurt or betrayed -his stance is obvious.

But you're just focusing on England. Dunphy is anti-whatever he feels like at the time. In 2002, he was anti-Ireland because of Keane. Now he's anti Keane. He's been anti Ronaldo! Anti whatever club is doing well at the time.

It's not like he has obsession with England. He's anti whatever the hell he wants to be anti about, baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Wasnt a great performance from an England point of view , although Gerrard was their stand out player imo, along with their 2 CB's.

Suppose it was good to give Rooney a run out of 85 mins after him having not been playing in over a month.

But you're just focusing on England. Dunphy is anti-whatever he feels like at the time. In 2002, he was anti-Ireland because of Keane. Now he's anti Keane. He's been anti Ronaldo! Anti whatever club is doing well at the time.

It's not like he has obsession with England. He's anti whatever the hell he wants to be anti about, baby!!

Exactly, I wasn't necessarily focusing on England when I said he was bitter. Everything has to be either shocking, disgraceful or laughable. Its not analysis, its ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement