Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog killed in St. Johnston

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

http://donegalnow.com/sp/article_manager/detail/500_appeal_for_information_on_dog_murder

There really are some horrible people out there, there are things I'd love to do to the people that done this if caught, its not for posting up here though. :mad:

Cannot fathom how someone could do this? Sick sick ..............

someone was saying to .me today that they heard this story on the radio today and that the dog belonged to a 7 year old boy who's mother passed away not so long ago and he was really close to his pet after she passed and this was done then . just shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone who can be so cruel to animals is dangerous imho. Warped mind to do that to a defenceless creature.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sick people or person.

The BBC even covered it...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18517148

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think the journalist involved needs to look up the definition of 'murder'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

disgusting they should get jail and a criminal record anybody who can do that to a dog can easily to that to a human - no remorse either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Not that long ago there was uproar over a guy who fed a live a kitten to his snake and people said it would escalate to murder.

Not long after and he'd tortured, murdered and dismembered some poor sod.

Anyone sick enough to do something so callous to a dog has something seriously wrong with them and this could easily be the start of something much worse. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think the journalist involved needs to look up the definition of 'murder'.

If you mean that this accurate term should not be used here, then 'tis thee who needs to look up that definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Graces7 wrote: »
    If you mean that this accurate term should not be used here, then 'tis thee who needs to look up that definition.
    normally i'd be agreeing with you on something like this, but Ash is factually correct with regards to the definition of murder.
    Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human, and generally this state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter). As the loss of a human being inflicts enormous grief upon the individuals close to the victim, as well as the fact that the commission of a murder is highly detrimental to the good order within society, most societies both present and in antiquity have considered it a most serious crime worthy of the harshest of punishment.
    i know most of us see our pets as part of the family, but if it's to be classed as murder, it needs to be done to a human being, not an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Murder? dog-slaughter? Who really cares. It was a despicable act and thats what we need to concentrate on rather than grammar lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

the poor dog, <SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

the difference being the fact that the vast majority of people who are shot/stabbed deserve it (not all though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

This is a heinous crime. I feel sick for the dog and for the family. It is horrifying to think that there is a dangerous psychopath creeping around at night and breaking into properties. Other residents in the area with outdoor pets must be feeling very vulnerable.

This may seem a bit random, but is anyone else wondering if the attacker(s) knew that the dog was friendly? We know from media coverage that Rex was a gentle and loved family pet. How many people would approach an Alsatian that they didn't know? I have a horrible feeling that this may have been carried out by someone who knows the family. Lets hope that the Garda spend time on this and get results... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

annascott wrote: »
    Lets hope that the Garda spend time on this and get results... :mad:

laughing.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Flibbles wrote: »
    laughing.gif

I don't see the humour...:confused:
    annascott wrote: »

This may seem a bit random, but is anyone else wondering if the attacker(s) knew that the dog was friendly? We know from media coverage that Rex was a gentle and loved family pet. How many people would approach an Alsatian that they didn't know? I have a horrible feeling that this may have been carried out by someone who knows the family. Lets hope that the Garda spend time on this and get results... mad.gif

Of course they knew, the dog was in the shed.

It's sick and disgusting that anyone would do that to anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

sup_dude wrote: »
    I don't see the humour...:confused:

I do.. even though it may be cynicism..

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Please open a new thread on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

<SNIP>

Me personally I'm more inclined to say that the dog incident is pretty much cut and dry, the dog quite clearly was subjected to a horrific, slow (heard howling though the night) death. Whereas the Churchill case isn't anywhere near as clearcut. I'd expect a thread on it to go along the lines of was he / wasn't he which will just be pure speculation.

If you feel like it start a thread on it, just because a thread wasn't started yet does not mean it isn't allowed, nobody will stop you but TBH it we will have to be fairly strict on moderation on it I fear.:o from the article you have linked I think this sum's it up "Gardai in Millford are investigating all of the circumstances surrounding the death of Seamus Murphy" & "Mr Doherty had died in suspicious circumstances"

Anyway back on topic please ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    normally i'd be agreeing with you on something like this, but Ash is factually correct with regards to the definition of murder.

i know most of us see our pets as part of the family, but if it's to be classed as murder, it needs to be done to a human being, not an animal.

Old and very outdated legal definition that I for one do not agree is accurate. It speaks of the legal definiton which is not the only one and not applicable here.

So yes, murder it is.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Old and very outdated legal definition that I for one do not agree is accurate. It speaks of the legal definiton which is not the only one and not applicable here.

So yes, murder it is.
    Please don't drag the thread off topic.

muffler wrote: »
    Please don't drag the thread off topic.

Who ME? As if! OK off out of here... bye bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

<SNIP>

In the mean time - people jump on a bandwagon to brand whoever did this as "sick" etc.

It amazes me that people have expressed concern at discussing an open case as a reason to not discuss THIS open case while still feeling comfortable enough to brand the culprit as "sick" rather than most likely needing help.

This is not to say that I feel this a crime of no standing, it's just a trend that can be seen all too often; animals get the cute factor and it's so sad while people are forgotten; there has been more talk about this "sick bastard" than the fact that this household has recently lost their mother.

And all the time, we jump to "sick bastard" before even knowing what it is that motivated someone to do this. It's easier to do that, because if it is a kid with troubles of their own it's easier to say they are sick than be a part of that community and say "I didn't help that kid when I knew........."

Have at it.... I'm sure you will

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

<SNIP>

In the mean time - people jump on a bandwagon to brand whoever did this as "sick" etc.[/B]

It amazes me that people have expressed concern at discussing an open case as a reason to not discuss THIS open case while still feeling comfortable enough to brand the culprit as "sick" rather than most likely needing help.

This is not to say that I feel this a crime of no standing, it's just a trend that can be seen all too often; animals get the cute factor and it's so sad while people are forgotten; there has been more talk about this "sick bastard" than the fact that this household has recently lost their mother.

And all the time, we jump to "sick bastard" before even knowing what it is that motivated someone to do this. It's easier to do that, because if it is a kid with troubles of their own it's easier to say they are sick than be a part of that community and say "I didn't help that kid when I knew........."

Have at it.... I'm sure you will

<SNIP>.

Er, what?

Stabbing a pet dog - not one, but several times, before slitting it's throat, is an act of unbelievable cruelty.

You assume that this was carried out by an adolescent with their own troubles at home.
    That may be true - but it doesn't excuse it!

We know that the dog was friendly. Nevertheless, it's reasonable to assume that a stranger approaching the shed at night would have caused the dog to raise the alarm. German Sheperds tend to be territorial, no matter how friendly. So, there is a strong possibility that this dog knew, and trusted, his attacker.

It takes a special brand of viciousness to slaughter an animal that clearly trusts you - and that makes the perpetrator either sick, or downright evil, as far as I am concerned.

I have "unapproved" the last 2 posts (you wont see them) until I get time to read them fully and see what to do.

2 posts edited and approved again.

Can I ask you all to please stick to the topic. If anyone wishes to debate the meaning of a specific word then I'm sure there's a forum somewhere on Boards that will cater for that. If anyone wants to discuss the death of a person in Churchill then open a new thread.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

No it doesn't excuse it - not in the slightest.

But by branding people "sick" or "evil" in many ways allows the community off the hook.

A vicious murder occurred right across the road from my house when I was in my mid teens. The murderer was caught and sentenced and all the time people referred to him as "sick" and "evil".

Doing so quite simply gave that community an excuse to ignore all the signs that something like this could have happened. And the signs were there - many stories came out after the event which pointed at a vicious and cruel man. I had once babysat for them - and in retrospect there were signs of fear from the father of the house. I wish I had have said something about this but at 15 I never imagined the end result.

Again, I'm not excusing it - I'm saying that it's VERY easy to jump to "sick" and "evil"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I'm really sorry to hear that you had such a horrible experience.

Having said that - just because a Community either doesn't realise the danger, or doesn't act on the realisation, doesn't mean that a person isn't either sick, or evil.

For that matter, as far as I am aware, the law is powerless to act against someone unless they have committed a crime, no matter how many people report Mr./Ms. X to the Gardaí as being a threat to society.

So, unless it's a case of child endangerment - just what do you think the Community can do?

We have now moved on to discussing peoples own personal experiences and the psychology of it all which has nothing to to with the topic at hand.

Thread locked and be grateful yous got me on a good day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement