Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert:Religion or Business?

• 19-06-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I am unsure about my subject options for the leaving cert..Does anyone here do both business and religion? What are they like?...If anyone here does either LC religion or business I would also like to hear from you on what the course is like and your opinion on the subject :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I do both and they're both 2 of my favourite subjects (along with geography).
    Business is very interesting and useful. You learn about different acts and laws in the workplace, for consumers and all about contract laws. You learn about enterprise and different management skills, theories and activities. you learn about lots of real life things like insurance, taxation, finance, marketing, setting up a business, the economy and international trade!! If you're interested in those things you'll love business!
    The downside? It's not a subject where you can think a lot and write a lot about in the exam! The exam I so long with little time that it's all about regurgitating points and points of info!
    I'd definitely reccomend the subject though! I felt it was my best exam so far! (still have religion to do!)
    Religion is definitely a subject you can very into and passionate about! You learn about world religions, ancient religions, intriguing philosophies, theories and myths, history of religions and the search for meaning etc. You'd have to make sure the teacher in your school is good though cos I know some (albeit few) teachers in this subject can be close minded and Christian orientated which can really make an otherwise fascinating subject dull. I'm an atheist and I love this subject because it's so interesting!
    There's also a project you do which can be at the same time very challeging (it's laid out like a college research topic!) but also very invigorating and captivating depending on what you're researching! I did the adaptation and inculturation of the Celtic ritual of Samhain into the Christian calendar in Ireland (different titles every year!)

If I was you I'd personally do both but it's really down to your interests! Religion requires a certain skill at essay writing whereas business is all short questions and bullet points but there is also a comprehension called an ABQ on which you have to answer business questions.
    Which intrigues you more?
    Insurance, management, marketing, the economy, laws...?
    OR Islam, Judaism, polytheism, philosophy, ancient religions, history...?

Which ever of the above lists excites you more go for that one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

I was just like you ! i was deciding between business and religion in fifth year , i researched between teachers friends and online i found that
    religion is mainly essays if your good at writing that will help! but can be quite long
    on the other hand business is mainly definitions with examples
    so i would definitely ask yourself do you prefer essay writing or learning off definitions? that would help ..

I picked business in the end so i can't help you about religion , i liked business it was interesting enough but it is alot of learning! don't expect just to learn definitions thats it you have to make points out of them , explain and give examples for everything , i spent alot of my time studying for business! and the marking scheme can be quite harsh, not many people get an A but if you like learning things off it can be good , you don't need to think much.. if you have any questions about the course just ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Kmgirl

If I was you I'd personally do both but it's really down to your interests! ![/QUOTE]
    I would love to do both but the religion and business classes are on at the same time in my school next year:(

Advertisement