Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice

Options
  • 19-06-2012 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I recently purcahsed a new home which requires upgrading the following...

Replace existing GFCH with High eff system. New bolier, 9rads, Zoned system.

New Bathroom.(Standard size)

Remove wall between Kicthen and Dining, requires RSJ.

Rewire (standard spec),Internal insulation.(Warm Board)

The house is a standard 3Bed semi 1100sq ft. What would I need as a realistic budget for these works.

And from a cost point of view am I better to go with one guy or get quote's from seperate trademen.

And get the works done seperate anybody with experiances doing either would help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

luzon wrote: »
    I recently purcahsed a new home which requires upgrading the following...

1. Replace existing GFCH with High eff system. New bolier, 9rads, Zoned system.
    2. New Bathroom.(Standard size)
    3. Remove wall between Kicthen and Dining, requires RSJ.
    4. Rewire (standard spec),
    5. Internal insulation.(Warm Board)
    6. The house is a standard 3Bed semi 1100sq ft. What would I need as a realistic budget for these works.
    7. And from a cost point of view am I better to go with one guy or get quote's from seperate trademen.

Thanks.
    somewhere between:
    1. 6 -10g
    2. 3 - 10g
    3. 3 - 10g (what about flooring?,and so) will you be getting a structural engineer or risking 'the ah sure its grand, but its your problem if it fails' approach?
    4. 3 - 10g (you've got to give more detail!!)
    5. 3-7g (are you sure thats the route to take? have you weighed up the cost of decorating every room, sockets, hanging kitchen units, stairs. thermal bridges etc) external wall insulation might be 10-15g
    6. 50g - give or take 25g (are you considering the unknowns you'll find when you go tearing apart the house? from: making good plasterwork, damp/rot, new floors/skirting, the other half wanting x y z? whats sort of contingency figure are you allowing for?)
    7. individual trades will be far cheaper. BUT then you take on all the responsibility of each of them and there short comings in regard to: workmanship, interfaces between roles, insurances, skip hire, payment, contracts, H&S. think along the lines of: 'thats not my job' or 'that should have been done by so & so'
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

BryanF wrote: »
    somewhere between:
    1. 6 -10g
    2. 3 - 10g
    3. 3 - 10g (what about flooring?,and so) will you be getting a structural engineer or risking 'the ah sure its grand, but its your problem if it fails' approach?
    4. 3 - 10g (you've got to give more detail!!)
    5. 3-7g (are you sure thats the route to take? have you weighed up the cost of decorating every room, sockets, hanging kitchen units, stairs. thermal bridges etc) external wall insulation might be 10-15g
    6. 50g - give or take 25g (are you considering the unknowns you'll find when you go tearing apart the house? from: making good plasterwork, damp/rot, new floors/skirting, the other half wanting x y z? whats sort of contingency figure are you allowing for?)
    7. individual trades will be far cheaper. BUT then you take on all the responsibility of each of them and there short comings in regard to: workmanship, interfaces between roles, insurances, skip hire, payment, contracts, H&S. think along the lines of: 'thats not my job' or 'that should have been done by so & so'
    best of luck
    Food for thought Cheers Byran on doing the jobs individually what would be

the best approach Buliding work, then Rewire,bathroom ,Insulation and so on.

any thoughts?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Best approach plan it all before you do any work, speaking as an arch tech

Advertisement