Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is this car worth?

• 19-06-2012 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

I have a 1998 red Mitsubishi Colt. 1.3L. Approximately 106,000 miles on it. I am (I think) the third owner. I've had it for around four years, and have had no problems with it. It's in very good condition inside and outside - one or two small dents and scratches, but nothing serious.

NCT is up June 2012 - I haven't brought it for the test yet, but expect it to pass without any problems.

Once I get the NCT, if I decide to sell it, how much do you think I would get for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Without NCT maybe €500, with NCT maybe €750-€1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Advertise for €1,250, sell for €1,000?

(With NCT. As I said, I don't expect any problems with getting this.)

I'm not in a hurry to sell.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭jd6920s

With NCT , you would probalby get 950 euro :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

€750 to 800 ..........is all, but if you get the right ejit, over 1k

I don't know ... it's a clean car and the mileage isn't huge for a car of that age? I'd say €1,000 is a reasonable expectation?

As I said, I'm not desperate to sell. Unless I got a grand for it, I'd just give it to my sister for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

it's a clean car and the mileage isn't huge for a car of that age? .

You're right, and nobody is going to believe it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say €1,000 is a reasonable expectation?

Yes the top end of what you could expect, you should take a look at the Bangernomics thread and see the cars you can get for €1000, market is flooded with far better than a 98 Colt for €1000 and less, you might get lucky and the right person might want it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056506575

smcgiff wrote: »
    You're right, and nobody is going to believe it either.

I'm saying it with a question mark because I think it's true, but am not entirely sure. I'm not particularly into cars. I posted here because I would like honest opinions on what the car is worth.

As said, I'm in no rush to sell it, but at the same time, if I do decide to, I don't want to settle for less than it is worth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I don't want to settle for less than it is worth.

but you see it's only ever worth what the market will yield for it, not what you might think its worth.

It's not worth 1k, €750 top end to be fair............unless you find an ejit to give you more - and they do exist all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Are there any major components due to be replaced any time soon, is there a service history?
    Either way I wouldnt pay anymore that 700 for it.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Are there any major components due to be replaced any time soon, is there a service history?
    Either way I wouldnt pay anymore that 700 for it.

Full service history. New battery. Assuming it passes the NCT - and I fully expect that it will - all's good.

As I said previously, I wouldn't be selling it for under a grand anyways - I'd rather give it away, to a family member, than sell it for that.

So I guess I'll advertise it at just over a grand. If I get €1,000, great, I'll sell it for that. Otherwise I'll give it to someone I know. :)

Thanks for opinions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Full service history. New battery. Assuming it passes the NCT - and I fully expect that it will - all's good.

Timing belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

As I said previously, I wouldn't be selling it for under a grand anyways - I'd rather give it away, to a family member, than sell it for that.

So I guess I'll advertise it at just over a grand. If I get €1,000, great, I'll sell it for that. Otherwise I'll give it to someone I know. :)

Thanks for opinions!
    You keep saying you are asking for opinions on what's it's worth, yet in next breath you are saying you think it's worth 1K and would rather give it to your sister than let it go for less.
    More knowledgeable than you or I are saying €750 at best, so I reckon your sister is getting a new car!

kippy wrote: »

Timing belt?

Was done just before I got it, at around 80k miles. Is it likely to need replacement soon?

Shane Fitz wrote: »

Thanks for opinions!
    You keep saying you are asking for opinions on what's it's worth, yet in next breath you are saying you think it's worth 1K and would rather give it to your sister than let it go for less.
    More knowledgeable than you or I are saying €750 at best, so I reckon your sister is getting a new car!

Ah yeah, sure in a way I'd rather it went to family anyways. :) First car and all that, sentimental value!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mitchaul

With NCT, €700/800 for a quick sale, €900 for a slowish sale, over €1k and you'll be steamcleaning it 2 months from now to sell it at €800.

Hmm I'm not really looking at selling it til aug/sept anyways!

Advertisement