Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike inspection

• 19-06-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hello,
    I am considering the purchase of a bike from a particular and although I have owned a couple in the past I could use the help of a reliable mechanic.
    That would be in or around the Dublin area and I would obvioulsy pay for the service: however i want a thorough inspection to be done.
    any suggestions?
    the seller wont move the bike as it is no longer insured.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Miamiheat wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am considering the purchase of a bike from a particular and although I have owned a couple in the past I could use the help of a reliable mechanic.
    That would be in or around the Dublin area and I would obvioulsy pay for the service: however i want a thorough inspection to be done.
    any suggestions?
    the seller wont move the bike as it is no longer insured.
    Thank you

Share more details with us and u may walk away with tips. Like year mileage price model etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Share more details with us and u may walk away with tips. Like year mileage price model etc.

Thanks, the bike I have in mind is a 2006 GSX 1400 with 10K miles on it
    however my inquiry is more of a general nature because even if end up seeing another bike I am still looking for a mechanic who can check it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Being a noob this is something I'd be curious about too, last thing I want if I buy a second hand unit is to find out after the fact that there are major issues I failed to spot but a professional mechanic would've noticed no problem.
    There is a book in the basement of Easons O'Connell St. on bike repair and maintenance that I got just so I'd be better equipped to give a bike the look over but I still rather know that a professional has given it a once over to ensure there's nothing obviously wrong.
    Sure there'd still be many things that could be wrong but at least I'd feel a bit more comfortable parting with the cash.

Well I would Google usual issues with that model and follow standard procedure while buying. You can also make assign agreement with seller about warranty, or about hidden issues. 10k its not a lot so the bike should be mint! Ask the seller for ride and drive it to closest motorbike garage. They will help u out for sure. Or ask them before and let the seller know where are you heading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

what i have done in the past was go to the local dealership/garage and ask one of the lads there if they wouldn't mind giving their opinion of a bike that evening, i offered 50 notes for their time, they usually do it for a good bit less, but i like to have a bit of peace of mind and i want them to be through...

but and i would make a point of this with them before anything, they are not going to be held responsible if they miss something as they are doing it almost as a favour to you... as i am sure you will get a few no's due to this exact reason...

but as pointed out above you could look on the google machine what the common problems etc are for that model year, and also look up the kind of things that can be avoided if it is maintained properly...

And as with anything always be prepared to just walk away if it does not seem right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

Thank you all for the good advice.
    Ideally I would have setup an appointment at a shop and paid for a thorough inspection at the conclusion of which i would buy the bike if all is good. The fact the seller wont move it forces me to take the mechanic to him hence the question does anybody know any shop or any reliable mechanic that i could trust with that mission.
    cheers

Miamiheat wrote: »
    Thank you all for the good advice.
    Ideally I would have setup an appointment at a shop and paid for a thorough inspection at the conclusion of which i would buy the bike if all is good. The fact the seller wont move it forces me to take the mechanic to him hence the question does anybody know any shop or any reliable mechanic that i could trust with that mission.
    cheers

any mechanic without his tools would do more less the same inspection as any skilled rider. i mean he would be able to do only optic inspection - so classic stuff like tyres, chain, sprockets, suspension, liquids, etc...

well if nobody comes up with an idea, you have to go and ask each garage yourself. try maybe motor4u ---> Rathfarnham ---> there is a young lad working "Bruce" who could maybe give you a hand in this case.

if you gonna be on the way there - try scotts bike shop as well.

Advertisement