Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cash a canadian cheque in Ireland?

• 19-06-2012 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Got a cheque today with my canadian taxreturns? Can I cash the chwque in bank of ireland even though its in dollars?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi chargerman,

We can't cash foreign cheques, however, you can lodge them to your account. They may need to be sent to the issuing bank for cheque clearing, which can take a minimum of 4 weeks and sometimes more. You'll be advised of this and any charges at the branch when you lodge the cheque. You can use our branch locator to find your nearest branch and its opening hours by clicking here.

If there's anything else we can help you with please feel free to ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

Hi chargerman,

We can't cash foreign cheques, however, you can lodge them to your account. They may need to be sent to the issuing bank for cheque clearing, which can take a minimum of 4 weeks and sometimes more. You'll be advised of this and any charges at the branch when you lodge the cheque. You can use our branch locator to find your nearest branch and its opening hours by clicking here.

If there's anything else we can help you with please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Graham
    Thanks for the reply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

Chargerman I did this with absolutely no bother, the funds were available to me pretty much right away, i was aware it could take weeks but it didnt.
    Lovely to get some foreign money into our country isn't it :)

if you have an a/c in more than one bank it might be worth having a stroll around town to see whos offering the best rate (smallest number) under the "buy Cheque" column

and if youre a student dont forget to ask for to not pay any commission fee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

IMightKnow wrote: »
    Chargerman I did this with absolutely no bother, the funds were available to me pretty much right away, i was aware it could take weeks but it didnt.
    Lovely to get some foreign money into our country isn't it :)

if you have an a/c in more than one bank it might be worth having a stroll around town to see whos offering the best rate (smallest number) under the "buy Cheque" column

and if youre a student dont forget to ask for to not pay any commission fee!
    Hi IMightKnow, Ya I went into BOI yday and lodged it into my a/c and it lodged straight away, was delighted and yes its great to see money coming in, I love getting money :D

Advertisement