Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in limerick

• 19-06-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Membership is up in the Maldron, Wud like to go elsewhere, it's not the cleanest place but it is cheap at €125 for 9 months, can anybody recommend other gyms and the price if possible?? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

While the Maldron is not the cleanest, it's def one of the cheapest (and quietest) around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I don't think you'll beat that price either. Most places are at best 135 for 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Delta is pretty good and cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Beefit/Delta €20 euro a month, dry facility (no pool/sauna/steam room).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Punches is €150 for 6 months, pretty good gym and fairly empty during the day but can get quiet busy between 5.30-7.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Jono!

Ul Gym is very good and is 125 for four months that has access to pool and spa to.

Jono! wrote: »
    Ul Gym is very good and is 125 for four months that has access to pool and spa to.

Wrong side of town for me, also the staff & gym goers in there are for the most part ignorant little feckers(that's from past experience now)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jono!

yea there can be a lot of kids and people not knowing what their doing there but if your there early in the morning ya don't get any of the plus ya bump into most of the munster team. great for inspiration! wrong side of town tho. maybe try the one in grove island looks alright and is 130 for four months i think

Jono! wrote: »
    yea there can be a lot of kids and people not knowing what their doing there but if your there early in the morning ya don't get any of the plus ya bump into most of the munster team. great for inspiration! wrong side of town tho. maybe try the one in grove island looks alright and is 130 for four months i think

Found the Munster players to be hogs on the machines to be fair which really annoyed me, and there was one player who wouldn't let others sit on the bike beside him...it was the only one left free...thankfully that player no longer players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

cottager83 wrote: »
    Membership is up in the Maldron, Wud like to go elsewhere, it's not the cleanest place but it is cheap at €125 for 9 months, can anybody recommend other gyms and the price if possible?? Cheers!

does that include pool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I left dooradoyle gym recently 160 for 3 months and joined the maldron for 150 for 6 months and i have to say machines in maldron are a lot better-all have tv screens- place is fine to be honest. its a bit up and down type place - gym upstairs - pool downstairs - but for 150 how could you not move-4 other people i know moved from dooradoyle to the maldron-great offer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Not sure about price but MK Fitness always looks busy everytime I pass. They do MMA in there as well, might be worth your while enquiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Millmount

MK Fitness, good gym. Great instructor who will give you personnel program if you want or will just ensure you are using the machines correctly.

Millmount wrote: »
    MK Fitness, good gym. Great instructor who will give you personnel program if you want or will just ensure you are using the machines correctly.

What's the costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Maldron is doing a deal atm. €70 from July 1st to August 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Millmount

Usually they do a deal. on average they charge €30 per month. Look for jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Where is this best gym for classes,in particular bony toning and spinning? Would it be UL?

Anyone tried the Woodlands in Adare, Do they have a good range of machine and weights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

panda100 wrote: »
    Where is this best gym for classes,in particular bony toning and spinning? Would it be UL?

Anyone tried the Woodlands in Adare, Do they have a good range of machine and weights?

Woodlands is a very good gym and pool. I go there often with a friend. Not cheap though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

JJB have an offer on at the moment - about €21 per month (direct debit), 12 month contract. If you were watching your wallet, you couldn't really beat that price, and the facilities are good. I cancelled membership there in 2010, but I'm getting that itch again. Our crap summer weather means I'm less inclined to hit the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Has anyone here tried the gym in Delta?

Would be interested to know how it is in terms of crowds at peak times (6pm to 8pm). Are there queues for the cardio machines? Or just gangs of young fellas standing around the bench press?

I'm a runner but injured at the moment so looking for some cross-training for a few weeks to keep fitness up. This seems like a good option as I don't want to get tied into a contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

JJB have an offer of 3 months for 99e at the minute and Grove Island have 2 months for 80e. Might suit anyone off for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Cartman78 wrote: »

Would be interested to know how it is in terms of crowds at peak times (6pm to 8pm). Are there queues for the cardio machines? Or just gangs of young fellas standing around the bench press?

I'm a runner but injured at the moment so looking for some cross-training for a few weeks to keep fitness up. This seems like a good option as I don't want to get tied into a contract

From my experience at peak times Ive never seen a queue for cardio stuff. Equipment hogging is very very minimal in comparison with other gyms ive been to such as JJB. People seem to just do their bit and move on. I don't use the cardio as much as the free weights so maybe somebody else can confirm that there are no queues for the cardio gear as I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭jfh

Cartman78 wrote: »

HI Cartman78, recognise the name from ART alright, there was a Groupon deal going 20 euro for 10 passes for Beefit gym, sounds like a good deal. you probably require a pool though, handy for the running injuries..

jfh wrote: »
    HI Cartman78, recognise the name from ART alright, there was a Groupon deal going 20 euro for 10 passes for Beefit gym, sounds like a good deal. you probably require a pool though, handy for the running injuries..

Cheers, that's the deal i heard about alright - hopefully it's still on as it would suit me down to the ground.

Not too bothered about the pool tbh...I'm an ok swimmer but don't really enjoy it at all

Joined the gym in Ballysimon last night - very impressed with first outing.

Clean and uncluttered, plenty of space and no equipment hoggers to be seen. After 5+ yrs of UL gym it was a nice change from having beefed-up Munster wannabees mincing around guzzling protein shakes.

The free weights section isn't huge by any means but there's loads of cardio machines (I would estimate 10 each of treadmills, x-trainers, upright and recumbent bikes and a handful of rowing machines as well).

The flexibility of the membership too is handy - hope to be back running next month so this will be a low cost alternative in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Thats a con of a deal you can join for a month for 20 euro which is 30 sessions if you go every day?
    No contract up there either, just pay month to month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I guess the deal is when you don't want to go too often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭jfh

Saw a brochure for the altitude gym. whats the deal here?
    Anyone here a member. wouldnt mind giving the treadmill a go at altidute if that's
    how it works ?!

Saw a brochure for the altitude gym. whats the deal here?
    Anyone here a member. wouldnt mind giving the treadmill a go at altidute if that's
    how it works ?!

Isn't that just part of the delta complex and their gym BeeFit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Isn't that just part of the delta complex and their gym BeeFit?

Yup, it's part of the same place

http://deltasportsdome.ie/altitude-chamber/

Advertisement