Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Chazmundus

Beaver1 wrote: »
    Wonder did many of the Beefit City Centre members move to the outside town place? crazy the way Beefit closed, it was busy. Must have had poor cost structure or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Thinking of leaving Strand, as classes have just gone ridiculous, and I can't justify the cost any more. I went for a tour around PlanetFitness the other day and was impressed. They have a great variety of classes too.

Does anyone know if the classes book out easily? Also is there a lot of traffic coming out from the city in the evening, as I usually head to gym after work at 5. Any other thoughts on Planet Fitness?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coly5

Moved from Beefit to Planet Fitness last month and found it excellent - really good variety of machines and classes and a pool/sauna to boot. Would recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Anyone know the name of the gym that replaced beefit on windmill street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

AVC gym , Dermot the former Beefit instructor is running it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Anyone here a member of The Bodybuilding? I visited there today for a quick look around and it looks great.

How busy does it get on evenings during the week (say between 4.30 and 7.00pm)?

Also, I saw that the membership includes a personalised training plan? Is that an actual proper plan or just a standard "do this machine followed by this machine" program you get at lots of gyms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

I'm a member and go at them times. Never once had to wait for anything. I even did GVT with a training partner and had no problems.

Benches and equipment galore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

cronin_j wrote: »
    I'm a member and go at them times. Never once had to wait for anything. I even did GVT with a training partner and had no problems.

Benches and equipment galore

Thanks for that, good to know. Where I currently train is way too crowded most of the time when I go after work; it can be difficult to find room for jumps and stuff, as well as the obvious long waiting times

It looks great, I'd say it's a really good environment to train in.

Do people actually do sprints down the middle of the gym? And is beside the gym used for prowlers and sleds? I just had a quick look but it seemed to be suitable for it.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, good to know. Where I currently train is way too crowded most of the time when I go after work; it can be difficult to find room for jumps and stuff, as well as the obvious long waiting times

It looks great, I'd say it's a really good environment to train in.

Do people actually do sprints down the middle of the gym? And is beside the gym used for prowlers and sleds? I just had a quick look but it seemed to be suitable for it.

People do all sorts down the middle of it. you see people doing HITT there and running along with the sleds attached.

I use it for Farmers walks, its great actually. Outside they have tyres etc that you can flip over. There is plenty of space anyway.

• Advertisement

Very rare to have to wait for a machine or dumbbell as there are so many. 2 sets of dumbbells up to 40KG! Lots of benches. Highly recommend the Body Building.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Anyone go to tri-fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭qwertyups

Hi guys,

I'm moving into the Castletroy area this September and I'm wondering what my gym options are? I want to avoid UL gym as it is far too busy and planet fitness as it seems to be poor quality.

Would it make since to make the journey out to Raheen and join The Bodybuilding? Thanks.

Depends what you want out of the gym? If it's classes and swimming I'd say go to planet health, if it's weights and machines and place where you can do body weight exercises and HITT then the bodybuilding is worth the spin for.

You can fly out the motorway and be there in ten mins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

So how busy is the BB gym nowadays? And has the name actually seriously been shortened to just "the BB"? It was originally "The BB Motivation Centre" wasn't it? And how many of you from here are members and have you ever met up for lifting partners? I'd assume there's a great community feel in that gym as everyone there would have similar goals and would help and encourage one another, which is what it's all about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Anybody got any gym recommendations for the north side of the city? Currently in The Strand, but it's too busy there, especially around 5/6 in the evening when I try to go!
    I had a look at The Radisson but the weights section is non existent, only dumbells up to 20kg, no bar or squat rack!

Does anybody know what The Greenhills is like, havnt been in there in years! Is it a decent gym, busy in the evenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Looking to get back into the gym scene myself. I was with JJB's for a few years as it's close to home, but when it closed a stopped working out, and took up a bit of running. Anyway, I've been looking around, and here are my options. Does anyone have any recent reviews?

1) Planet Health (I heard it's gone down hill since JJB's and am looking for some reviews)
    2) King's Gym in Joseph's street. €2 PAYG, and they make up protein shakes for you. (I'm prone to go with this one for the protein shakes).
    3) Olympic Gold; I was here a few years back, but they want €45 a month which is steep!!
    4) The Body Building. ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Skuxx wrote: »
    Anybody got any gym recommendations for the north side of the city? Currently in The Strand, but it's too busy there, especially around 5/6 in the evening when I try to go!
    I had a look at The Radisson but the weights section is non existent, only dumbells up to 20kg, no bar or squat rack!

Does anybody know what The Greenhills is like, havnt been in there in years! Is it a decent gym, busy in the evenings?

5/6 is the busiest time in most gyms....

The Body Building is so big with lots of multiple pairs of dumbbells - up to beyond 40KG. Also multiple machines for most exercises. Occasionally can wait but great facility still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Chazmundus wrote: »
    The Body Building is so big with lots of multiple pairs of dumbbells - up to beyond 40KG. Also multiple machines for most exercises. Occasionally can wait but great facility still

Can you pay as you go there? Around limerick for the next week and will be at a loose end

• Advertisement

Yes you can but might be cheaper to pay for a month if you go most days.
    Facebook page here:
    TheBodyBuildingLimerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread!!!!

Any idea how much the body factory in raheen is to join

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

allibastor wrote: »
    Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread!!!!

Any idea how much the body factory in raheen is to join
    This isn't a zombie thread...

AFAIK its €400 a year and €300 if a student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

This isn't a zombie thread...

AFAIK its €400 a year and €300 if a student

Thanks,

Bloody steep but it looks cool.
    they have mma like training also, I beleive

You can also pay by month in TBB if easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Triona00

Hi,

Has anyone been to Raheens Womens gym before?

What are the classes like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Anyone a member or been a recent member of the Woodlands gym? Need to join a gym badly as I've gotten extremely unfit. Are the staff there friendly/helpful as I've never been in a gym before and so would need assistance with regards to workouts etc? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Woodlands is expensive but it is spacious and they do have a lot of equipment, was never waiting for anything as I went mostly off-peak.
    Great pool and leisure facilities too and yes the staff are very friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Currently on business staying on O'Connell street,
    anyone know of any decent gyms around there that you
    can pay as you go as I'm only prob looking to use the gym
    3 times or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

srm23 wrote: »
    Currently on business staying on O'Connell street,
    anyone know of any decent gyms around there that you
    can pay as you go as I'm only prob looking to use the gym
    3 times or so.

The only one I can think of is Grove Island Leisure Centre. It's about a 15 minute walk out of town.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement