Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Cartman78

misswhat wrote: »
    Heard its meant to be filthy, and poorly run! Dooraodyle are very good!

Which gym are you referring to? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 misswhat

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Which gym are you referring to? :confused:

Sorry Cartman meant to pop it in BeeFit on Ballysimon rd!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well don't know who was telling you that but they must be going to another Beefit Gym that I haven't heard of ;)

Been a member there for a couple of months and find it great - very clean & well run, and great value for money imho

• Registered Users Posts: 37 misswhat

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Well don't know who was telling you that but they must be going to another Beefit Gym that I haven't heard of ;)

Been a member there for a couple of months and find it great - very clean & well run, and great value for money imho

Agreed. I'm in there 5/6 days a week and it is spotless and well run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 fizzylizzy

i'd love to find a good early morning (before work) bootcamp kinda class, any of the gyms around do this? or even anyone know of these classes just in general??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

Fizzylizzy - I've heard good things about a bootcamp on the ennis road ( in ard scoil ris) that has early morning and evening sessions. Its called 6 weeks to a cover model body and you can find them on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

maryk123 wrote: »
    Dooradoyle is basic for what you pay to be honest. you have to queue for cross trainers and busy in the evenings. the whole gym and pool could do with an over haul. nothing has changed since it opened and the same staff are there bored out of their heads. in my opinion there are far better and cheaper leisure centres around - they would want to up their game big time.

+1.

I live right beside Dooradoyle gym, but you'd have to pay me to go there. I went in for a look around, and it just looked cramp,unclean and unkept.

I decided to join the Strand in the end. It's okay so far. Though I don't think they have much aircon in the gym area,making it uncomfortably hot when working out. Also, I am dissapointed with their range of fitness classes for the winter. It really did seem to be the best of a bad bunch though. Maybe I just have become spoiled with my beloved Westwood gym in Dublin, but the quality of gyms in Limerick is extremely poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Any recommendations for JJB? I've been using the UL Arena, but as I've to switch to training evenings, I won't have access to the punch bags 'til late after the trak attack and the weights and benches are near impossible to get a hold of in evenings as well. Has JJB got a punch bag? What's the place like during peak hours?

Cheers guys

Slugs wrote: »
    Any recommendations for JJB? I've been using the UL Arena, but as I've to switch to training evenings, I won't have access to the punch bags 'til late after the trak attack and the weights and benches are near impossible to get a hold of in evenings as well. Has JJB got a punch bag? What's the place like during peak hours?

Cheers guys

Supposedly closure of JJB is imminent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

I go to olympic gold and beefit, beefit is handy for cardio but machine and weights wise not that great imo. i know olypmic gold is 45 a month but its more of a harcore bodybuilders gym you go in train hard and go no messing around and never busy. One thing tho thats killing me is i love my swimming and both have neither so im tempted to join maldron right beside work soon.

So it looks like JJB has gone into administration, SportsDirect close to closing a deal on a portion of there shops. I wonder what the chances of Limericks being one of those is

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9572139/Sports-Direct-close-to-deal-for-60-JJB-shops-saving-1500-jobs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Shame to hear seen as the gym was doing so well! Hopefully someone takes an interest in buying it.

I am currently looking for a gym at the moment in the City Centre.
    Anyone know of any good deals?

I seen that the Clarion gym (Educogym) was doing an offer for €20 per month, but you had to sign up for 24 months which is too long of a commitment in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

I've been a member in JJB for the last 6 years.

I heard from a fairly reliable source that the Gym will be taken over immediately but the new management will be closing the Pool and Pool area(sauna & steamroom)....which would be a shame but at least the main gym should remain open.

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    Shame to hear seen as the gym was doing so well! Hopefully someone takes an interest in buying it.

I seen that the Clarion gym (Educogym) was doing an offer for €20 per month, but you had to sign up for 24 months which is too long of a commitment in my opinion.

Beefit offer 2 gyms - 1 out the ballysimon road and the other in the city centre - for 20 euro a month.
    moby2101 wrote: »
    I've been a member in JJB for the last 6 years.

I heard from a fairly reliable source that the Gym will be taken over immediately but the new management will be closing the Pool and Pool area(sauna & steamroom)....which would be a shame but at least the main gym should remain open.

Hopefully the gym is taken over, shame otherwise! I would actually think changing it to a dry facility would be a brilliant decision. That's where it was supposedly struggling as the costs of maintaining wet facilities are much higher. At least then they could make sure that cash can be pumped in the gym and get that back to 100% for their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Beefit offer 2 gyms - 1 out the ballysimon road and the other in the city centre - for 20 euro a month.

Thanks for that mate!

City Centre branch only seems to open for a few hours on weekends which doesn't suit me but cheers anyway!

Anyone know any other good deals in or around the City?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

SoCo2009 wrote: »

Educogym operates in some gyms but does not run the gym itself. You could bet if they did operate the gym it would cost much more than 20 a month...

KPMG appointed as Liquidator to Irish JJB stores/Gyms..
    www.rte.ie/news/2012/1001/over-2-000-jjb-staff-to-lose-jobs-business.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Norae

I can't believe Jjbs has closed! Is there any chance of it reopening?! Do any of their instructors work in any other gyms? Loved their classes and the pool! :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Moving back to Limerick within the coming weeks and will be on the look out for a gym

Any recommendations on my commute from Meelick to Raheen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

cronin_j wrote: »
    Moving back to Limerick within the coming weeks and will be on the look out for a gym

what about Greenhills?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Punch's, Clarion, MK Fitness (Or whatever it is called these days), Southcourt..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Normally hotel gyms are crap, would these ones be good? Not really interested in pools etc, just loads of benches, barbells and dumbells.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Maldron recently got the White Flag award so the place must be clean :)
    I am a fan on their Facebook page and they often have one day special offers posted for the leisure club for their fans ... might save you a few bob!
    https://www.facebook.com/MaldronHotelLimerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Went and looked at the Maldron gym once and it was the strangest place I've ever been to (gym wise)

Went and looked at the Maldron gym once and it was the strangest place I've ever been to (gym wise)

LOL .... how was it strange!!! I really like the gym there:)

Normally hotel gyms are crap, would these ones be good? Not really interested in pools etc, just loads of benches, barbells and dumbells.

Beefit city centre/mk fitness is very weights orientated. Pretty old school. Might be worth a look!

By the way a new gym, Eastway Fitness Centre, will be opening in about two weeks time. Will be different to your typical gym.

Hi
    Like many other people out there, I'm gymless since JJB closed last night.

I'm curious? Stayed in the Savoy Hotel in Limerick last year after a work night out and used the fitness Center ..They don't appear to offer membership to the public? Or do they?
    Anyone on here a member there?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ABlur

Norae wrote: »
    I can't believe Jjbs has closed! Is there any chance of it reopening?! Do any of their instructors work in any other gyms? Loved their classes and the pool! :-(

Heard a potential buyer pulled out at the last minute. Maybe they (buyer) might get a better deal now its closed.

Friends of ours moved from JJB to Grove Island leisure centre and recommend it though prices are steep compared to JJB. It has a decent sized pool

http://www.groveislandleisure.ie/

• Advertisement

Maldron Hotel are running a competition on their Facebook page to win 3 months Leisure Club membership!!!:)
    Might be worth entering!

Advertisement