Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Went into King's Gym for the first time on Saturday, as my own gym closed at 1:30 on Saturday because of the bank holiday! I wasn't impressed, since when does fitness take a bank holiday??

Anyway, I found King's gym a lot better equipped then my own gym, but the only draw back for me, is that they don't open up early in the morning, as I go to the gym before work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Odd they closed early. I went to my gym, beefit, early on Monday morning and not only was it open but it was quite busy. I assumed it would be quiet with some nursing hangovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Where is kings gym?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Baldie wrote: »
    Went into King's Gym for the first time on Saturday, as my own gym closed at 1:30 on Saturday because of the bank holiday! I wasn't impressed, since when does fitness take a bank holiday??

Eastway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

cronin_j wrote: »
    Eastway?

Maybe.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Jofspring wrote: »
    Where is kings gym?

On a laneway off St Joseph Street - across from side entrance to People's Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Baldie wrote: »
    Maybe.......

Doesnt get the footfall on Bank Hols/Sundays to justify being open. It did used to open on those days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Sorry to ask again...any opinions on the gym in the Clarion?

Any opinions on the gym in the Maldron Hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Gym in Maldron only ok. A lot of machines broken last time I was there. Showers give me the shivers. Rank

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    Any opinions on the gym in the Maldron Hotel?

Lots of the machines dont work, crappy spinning bikes, showers are not the best as noted above but its in a good location and never crazy busy. Limited cross trainers available also. They dont run many classes either - if thats your thing. Pool is nice though.

The Strand can be joined for the same price - its far nice but the Maldron is great location-wise for me so i stick with it but you can do much better in Limerick... i.e The Strand.

Parchment wrote: »
    Lots of the machines dont work, crappy spinning bikes, showers are not the best as noted above but its in a good location and never crazy busy. Limited cross trainers available also. They dont run many classes either - if thats your thing. Pool is nice though.

The Strand can be joined for the same price - its far nice but the Maldron is great location-wise for me so i stick with it but you can do much better in Limerick... i.e The Strand.

The misses wants me to join the Maldron with her as its close to her house but I'm iffy. It is much cheaper than the strand though, the strand is €550 for a year where as the Maldron is €365 for the year. Even the 6 month membership is €260 in comparison to €350.

I'd be mainly using the weights and pool, I would only use the bikes etc.. from time to time. Are the staff there good as I would need a bit of advice starting out with the weights and that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

It's more a leisure centre than a gym. Rarely see staff in gym area. Manager really rude I found her extremely unhelpful. Agree with above poster never really over busy buy I couldn't get into jacuzzi it was always full of men who would sit and chat for 40 mins at a time. I felt it was a bit dirty. I asked about special offers to renew membership as the only reasoni would stay there was it was cheap but she said no and continued on her computer looking at a clothes website. So ignorant.

maryk123 wrote: »
    It's more a leisure centre than a gym. Rarely see staff in gym area. Manager really rude I found her extremely unhelpful. Agree with above poster never really over busy buy I couldn't get into jacuzzi it was always full of men who would sit and chat for 40 mins at a time. I felt it was a bit dirty. I asked about special offers to renew membership as the only reasoni would stay there was it was cheap but she said no and continued on her computer looking at a clothes website. So ignorant.

I agree the manager is very very rude and short with people. She was the same with me. Some of the staff are nice - but i wouldnt rave about the majority of them, they dont really spend time in the gym - mainly cleaning etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Punchs Hotel gym was such a loss - super gym, great staff, lovely facilities :(

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

is their any ladies only gyms around the place??

you wha? wrote: »
    is their any ladies only gyms around the place??

Curves is women only.

Any recent opinions/comments on Beefit in Mount Kennett?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coly5

Split my gymming between Beefit Ballysimon and town. Depends on what you want to do - Beefit in town is good for lifting, good variety for compound and isolation exercises. Ballysimon has more cardio equipment and more machines with less weights selection. Very good value and nice staff - sound like I work there but I dont I swear!

Coly5 wrote: »
    Split my gymming between Beefit Ballysimon and town. Depends on what you want to do - Beefit in town is good for lifting, good variety for compound and isolation exercises. Ballysimon has more cardio equipment and more machines with less weights selection. Very good value and nice staff - sound like I work there but I dont I swear!

Thanks - i am more cardio focused so i will take a look at beefit in town...but the lack of a pool could be the decider! I think The Strand is winning at the moment!

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Have been going to Grove island for the last few weeks. It's grand. They keep the music pretty low though. Would prefer it louder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

I'm looking at taking up circuit training. Could anyone recommend me a gym that does classes in or around the city center? Can't make it out to UL unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 robbi32

Wat is d gym in dooradoyle like by crescent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CCEF

Hi all, is Eastway still open? I tried to open the website but it's not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

CCEF wrote: »
    Hi all, is Eastway still open? I tried to open the website but it's not working.

It closed down in mid October afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

131spanner wrote: »
    I'm looking at taking up circuit training. Could anyone recommend me a gym that does classes in or around the city center? Can't make it out to UL unfortunately.
    Trifit in town do circuit training.from what I hear you have to have a good level of fitness before going to their circuit training.

I wouldn't join the gym in the strand if your interested in doing classes.they have all been booked up for the last few months.its also been extremely crowded in the strand at peak times over the last couple of months,so much so that I couldn't get to any weights on Tuesday night. I've always recommended the strand and it's defiantly the cleanest and most luxurious gym in limerick, but if you can't access classes or training equipment then it's no longer serving purpose.

It's so frustrating. That for a 'sporting' city the selection of gyms is so poor.westwood please come to limerick!!

panda100 wrote: »
    Trifit in town do circuit training.from what I hear you have to have a good level of fitness before going to their circuit training.

I wouldn't join the gym in the strand if your interested in doing classes.they have all been booked up for the last few months.its also been extremely crowded in the strand at peak times over the last couple of months,so much so that I couldn't get to any weights on Tuesday night. I've always recommended the strand and it's defiantly the cleanest and most luxurious gym in limerick, but if you can't access classes or training equipment then it's no longer serving purpose.

It's so frustrating. That for a 'sporting' city the selection of gyms is so poor.westwood please come to limerick!!

The quality of the gyms aren't the problem. It's the people. East way was a perfect gym for anyone. But because it was branded a bodybuilders/power lifters gym hardly anyone went. People much prefer to be rocked up in a comfy hotel gym. Why? Because they're idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The quality of the gyms aren't the problem. It's the people. East way was a perfect gym for anyone. But because it was branded a bodybuilders/power lifters gym hardly anyone went. People much prefer to be rocked up in a comfy hotel gym. Why? Because they're idiots.

I never was in Eastway so can't comment on that, but completely disagree with you that the quality of gyms in Limerick isn't the problem. I was a member of David Lloyd in Dublin for 5 years, and then a member of Westwood in Clontarf for 2 years when I moved over to the North side.

They both were quadruple the size of any gym I have been to in Limerick, including the gym area in UL. They had an extensive range of classes available at all hours and times of the day that you never had to book in advance for. The book in advance for gym classes is something I only have experienced in Limerick. They had lovely swimming pools and spa areas. There was even an outdoor heated pool in David llyod. Yes, they were expensive. I was paying 90euro a month for Westwood, but would gladly pay it again for the quality of the services they provided. No way the same quality in any gym down here. There is a real gap in the market for a big, spacious, properly equipped gym with a decent pool and spa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I never was in Eastway so can't comment on that, but completely disagree with you that the quality of gyms in Limerick isn't the problem. I was a member of David Lloyd in Dublin for 5 years, and then a member of Westwood in Clontarf for 2 years when I moved over to the North side.

They both were quadruple the size of any gym I have been to in Limerick, including the gym area in UL. They had an extensive range of classes available at all hours and times of the day that you never had to book in advance for. The book in advance for gym classes is something I only have experienced in Limerick. They had lovely swimming pools and spa areas. There was even an outdoor heated pool in David llyod. Yes, they were expensive. I was paying 90euro a month for Westwood, but would gladly pay it again for the quality of the services they provided. No way the same quality in any gym down here. There is a real gap in the market for a big, spacious, properly equipped gym with a decent pool and spa.
    There is over a million people in Dublin man what do you expect?

• Advertisement

Gyms don't need to be huge to be a quality gym nor do they need extensive classes. There are plenty of good gyms in Limerick. It's about the environment you put yourself in. Raheen have a new massive gym opening called the bodybuilding gym. Quality work put into it, look it up. Opening in the new year or so.

Advertisement